Anything to check while I have oil pan off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Honda Civic. I was having oil pressure issues. Oil was full. I pulled the pan and there was a piece of oil filter material/paper on pick up screen. My questions are: What else if anything should I look at/do while the oil pan is off? and the pan is rusty and is leaking through a rust hole. Can you link me to one with increased capacity that is reasonably priced? Will an increased capacity pan even help anything?

Doubt you NEED extra capacity, but if you're really willing when you buy the new pan to replace your rusty one... cut it and weld on a good section to add whatever you think you need.

Don't mess with your pan by welding it! You'll compromise reliability somehow, unless you're some super metal fab genius.

And some pans are structural members of the engine, they act like a girdle plate.

Get a new stock pan and keep on trucking.

Actually, if you can pull a rod bearing and plasti-gauge it, you'd see if you've got unusual clearances/ wear and that's responsible for your mysterious pressure issues. A single chunk of paper on the screen won't do it BTW.

The whole screen was covered. I had no intentions of cutting my new oil pan. Would that not make the bolt holes not line up anyway?

The only thing a higher capacity oil pan would do for you is enable you to go longer between oil changes and even then if you use a top quality oil, you can get that without a change in capacity.

How can you cover the whole screen? I'm mystified.

I can imagine losing a 1/2 inch cardboard cap inside the engine, something that was on top of an additive bottle etc and that could fit down the drain holes in the head.

But isn't your screen about 3 inches across? I'm just baffled.

If it is from an oil filter what filter do u think it was from? Do you have any Pictures? Have you used the same filters all the time?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
If it is from an oil filter what filter do u think it was from? Do you have any Pictures? Have you used the same filters all the time?

From a tearolator no doubt

Unless your oil is running abnormally hot, having it run cooler might not be a good thing.
Or perhaps you know something the Honda engineers don't know.

From a Fram that has never been replaced. A friend just gave me the car.

I will see if I can get some later today. If I can, I will immediately upload them.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't mess with your pan by welding it! You'll compromise reliability somehow, unless you're some super metal fab genius.

And some pans are structural members of the engine, they act like a girdle plate.

Get a new stock pan and keep on trucking.

Actually, if you can pull a rod bearing and plasti-gauge it, you'd see if you've got unusual clearances/ wear and that's responsible for your mysterious pressure issues. A single chunk of paper on the screen won't do it BTW.

+1. Since you're having an oil pressure issue, I'd check the oil pump and bearings. Leave the pan alone unless its rotted, dented or compromised in some way.

how did the filter media make it to the oil pan? from the normal oil filter location, the torn off pieces of filter media have to go through the oil galleries and towards the main bearings, camshaft bearing caps or turbo oil feed.

This is what would concern me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back