anything better then red line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Button
I love how ppl back their opinions w/ quantifiable data! 'Facts don't lie, but Liars Figure'.

Proof!

blanket statements are made by fools.
a single oil can't be the BEST for every single application ever made and only a fool thinks otherwise.
Dusty

I am willing to bet any off the shelf PCMO in same viscosity grade that is used for a 5K OCI in a stock sedan engine will perform comparably with Red Line and cost about 25% as much. If your engine is something radically different or trying to extend your OCI closer to 15K then I recommend that you try red line.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
is there anything alot better then red line oil? i wanted to see if anyone has any info. there is always room for improvement?

Better in what way? What application? What is the driving style?

This thread will go nowhere fast without that KEY information.

Originally Posted By: Capa
A lot better---probably not. A lot cheaper and comparable---probably so.

+1. All the value proposition arguements for grp 4/5, excess Mo, etc don't do much for me. Very few applications actually have such severe need, and generally they are in race or similar conditions where the user knows such is needed.

as i stated red line oil as a total package including racing and street use...the reason why i ask, surely red line is not the worlds best i was just interested...however, i feel that it is..i just wanted some feedback from you all.

Sometimes I think searching for the world's best oil is a lot like looking for the world's best chocolate chip cookie recipe. There are many fantastic recipes out there, and everyone has different opinions on their own definition of the best.

IMO the best oil is the one that provides you the protection level you desire over an OCI you prefer and a cost you can live with. This is going to be different for every vehicle and every driver, which is why your personal UOA trend is critical. This is why experienced members like CATERHAM make their own blends - because we understand that the one size fits all approach to oil formulation will cover your bases but never provide the benefits from oil selection that meets our specific wants/needs.

@CATERHAM - feel free to correct me if I have misconstrued the reasoning behind your blending preference.

@boxcartommie22 - RL is a great oil, but not the best for my needs....

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
blanket statements are made by fools.
Dusty

Does that include this one?
(I tried, but I couldn't resist such a good setup.)

crackmeup2.gif

One area that Red Line Oil may not perform as well as some other brands is in REALLY cold weather.
As has been stated, "best" depends upon the application.
If you seek the best oil for cold weather.....then there are other oils that will give you better cold weather flow.
I use Red Line Oil, but I will be the first to tell you that it is major overkill for my application.....and for cold starts in winter......maybe not the "best".

"Best" is a moving target.......because of so many variables.....
How long (time) you want to go on the oil?
How many miles you want to go on the oil?
Cold performance
HOT performance
Do you have fuel dilution?
and the questions go on and on.

Of course....one needs to make sure that the oil they choose meets the specifications required for the appliction......the best place to start being the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
is there anything alot better then red line oil? i wanted to see if anyone has any info. there is always room for improvement?

For the price, or in general? I think for the average daily driver with ocis in the 5,000 mile range it is way overpriced and overkill. For a track car... Probably pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back