Anyone with knowlege about portable home air conditioners?

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
So I have a couple year old portable LG air conditioner, it of course quit working properly just after warranty . Anyway, it blows cold initially but no longer evaporates the collected condensation, and after awhile it stops blowing cold air, but blows barley cool air. I had to buy a new GE unit towards the end of summer, but I didn't want to just throw away the LG if there is a easy fix. I'm avoiding calling a appliance repair company, as it probably wouldn't be worth it after paying labor.

Off the topic here a bit but one time I had a appliance repair guy over to fix my older Kenmore washer, and he said most new appliances are made to be disposable, and to hold on to older appliances. Like most of my stuff I bought in 2006 when I bought my house. There has been a drop off in long term relaibilty even from that time according to this repair man. He said its definitely worth fixing up older appliences. This dude seemed really honest, he wasnt just trying to hook me for future buisness, as he said he wasnt sure how much longer he was even going to be able to stay in business when everything is made to be disposable anymore.

I would look to see if the fins that are outside are plugged up with debris. We live where there are many cottonwoord trees and it is an annual routine to clean up the coil that is on the outside. Central AC's suffer the same result. Plugged up coils can burn up your compressor too since that is the way it cools in your house by putting the heat outside. If your coils are plugged then it can't get rid of the heat so it won't cool. That sounds like your problem since you say it cools when you first turn it on. My son and I use a pressure washer on the coils to clean them up. He has a well though so water pressure is an issue. A hose with a focused steam may work for you.

I'd think that the unit probably has a sealed compressor in it and the cost of having someone try to recover the refrigerant and install service ports is probably more than it's worth, if the problem isn't just dirty coils, I'd suspect that the system might be low on refrigerant, usually when the system is low it'll blow cold for a while then freeze up the evap and it'll blow lukey cool air, and the condenser won't out put as much heat which is used for the evaporation process of the condensation.

U-Tube can be your friend. Last Spring, my 18,000 btu ac window unit ran but wouldn't blow any air. So I went online and watched a bunch of video's trying to find out what the problem might be. A new replacement unit was around $700, so I figured I'd try giving it a shot fixing it. I know my problem was different then your, but I was able to fix it on the cheap. Here's what I did. After reading that ac units have different types of condensers. Single and double models. On a double, 1 side is for the refrigeration side of the unit ,and the other is for the fan side. The consensus was that electrical parts were the most likely culprit to fail. So I took a $50 shot and replaced the condenser. It was simpler then I would have though. You just need to unplug the unit for a day, then pull the housing off to expose the condenser. It was a plug and play situation to install. I plugged it back in, 220 volts, Hit the button, and it came back to life and worked all summer with no problems. The other 2 issues I read it might be is the control board, or a freon leak Those can cost more to fix the buying a new unit. Good luck.,,

I put one in the camp and have one at home as part of my hurricane plan (run on generator).
OP: Does your model have a drain pan underneath and filter on the back ?

I put one in the camp and have one at home as part of my hurricane plan (run on generator).
OP: Does your model have a drain pan underneath and filter on the back ?
It has a drain plug, and a reusable filter too.

The collected condensation is heated by electrical resistance for it to evaporated. I have a similar LG that still works but the condensation drips onto the floor, I knew it had a problem when the heating mode did not work any more. I have not bother w/ taking the darn thing apart if I could add a condensate pump it will be nice feature.

Have to remove the case to see if the outside coil is dirty. If it is wash it with water just wrap the fan motor in plastic after your done remove plastic let unit air dry before powering it up.

U-Tube can be your friend. Last Spring, my 18,000 btu ac window unit ran but wouldn't blow any air. So I went online and watched a bunch of video's trying to find out what the problem might be. A new replacement unit was around $700, so I figured I'd try giving it a shot fixing it. I know my problem was different then your, but I was able to fix it on the cheap. Here's what I did. After reading that ac units have different types of condensers. Single and double models. On a double, 1 side is for the refrigeration side of the unit ,and the other is for the fan side. The consensus was that electrical parts were the most likely culprit to fail. So I took a $50 shot and replaced the condenser. It was simpler then I would have though. You just need to unplug the unit for a day, then pull the housing off to expose the condenser. It was a plug and play situation to install. I plugged it back in, 220 volts, Hit the button, and it came back to life and worked all summer with no problems. The other 2 issues I read it might be is the control board, or a freon leak Those can cost more to fix the buying a new unit. Good luck.,,
I think you mean capacitors, the shiny metal cans that are wired with the motors. Condensers are the finned heat exchangers.

I think you mean capacitors, the shiny metal cans that are wired with the motors. Condensers are the finned heat exchangers.
I guess I'm showing my age. Back in the olden times, car ignitions had contact points and condensers, The condensers were silver metal cans with 1 wire sticking out of it. I guess I'm still stuck on calling them that. I f I messed with them alot, I probably would be calling them capacitors like everyone else.

Is the evap freezing up and becoming a block of ice?That happened to ours because the 8 yr old Chinese girl that built it put the evap temp sensor on the wrong side. Once I moved it thing works fine.
😂. Sad but true, thanks for the tip,I'll check this out!

Could it be possible that there is a overflow switch that’s triggering due to the condensation build up?

I have never taken apart a portable AC unit but the fact that it blows cold first then warms later kinda seems like a sensor issue.

I have a old fridge from 1998 that still works to this day. 23 years still works good as new. Never needed maintenance. But my 10 year old Samsung French door fridge has already broke on me 3x and now the seals are starting to harden and not make full contact. They really don’t make them like they used to.

you're referring to a rolling upright unit with hoses that run to a window, and not a window unit yes?

they're terrible. with no real solutions, b/c of Design limitations... (and they laws of thermodynamics..)

interesting Vid! i like window units that set in a sleeve for easier install + service as well. have 2 Panasonics about 5500 each for 15 years, they make good stuff but no longer do AC, my girlfriend bought a great 10,000 Friedich Chill window unit years ago works great + pretty quiet, today i bought the same but had to get the "smart" one for more $$$ + i will never use that stupid needless tech, but if its as good as hers all is good. i was told the basic one was discontinued or was it just not available??? i have a good older very heavy Carrier prolly 15,000 btu + thinking for my garage!!! Friedich makes various units slide outs cost a little more, also heat + cool units + commericial stuff, a bit more $$ but worth it IMO + my new unit has a 5 yr warranty!

Last edited:
Back