Anyone who has any of the German Castrol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...please quote the lot and production numbers, and the fill time that are inkjetted onto the bottom of the bottles.

Let's see if this is one batch that has come to the continent, or a production series.

Just picked this up today...probably came in in yesterday's delivery

M023386BTAG785 2006

I'm beginning to wonder about this...G-Man II, described a certain sweet smell and I believe an anti-freeze like green color to the German Castrol...mine is not pronounced in either smell or color (it has kind of a green tinge to it, but not what I was anticipating from G-Man's post). I'm wondering if there is some manipulating going on here...don't want to get paranoid, but still I wonder.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Just picked this up today...probably came in in yesterday's delivery

M023386BTAG785 2006

I'm beginning to wonder about this...G-Man II, described a certain sweet smell and I believe an anti-freeze like green color to the German Castrol...mine is not pronounced in either smell or color (it has kind of a green tinge to it, but not what I was anticipating from G-Man's post). I'm wondering if there is some manipulating going on here...don't want to get paranoid, but still I wonder.

I'm not the one who compared the color to antifreeze. The only time this oil really looks bright green is in sunlight. The rest of the time, it's amber with a green to green-blue tint.

And smell is a completely subjective thing, so don't take my "gummy bear" analogy as some sort litmus test.

Here's the number off the bottom of the very first bottle I purchased (from which the oil for the VOA came).

M023386BTAG785 0058

M030426B T/W0504821 2007

Bought in Southern California 2 weeks ago......

Forgot to mention

Color under artificial light/sunlight seems much brighter green than when not under direct sunlight
dunno.gif

FWIW Smell not like Synergyn, Mobil 1 or Castrol dino.
grin.gif

[ July 13, 2003, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

I've got 12L of the stuff, and have five different batch numbers:

M023386B784 1547
M023386B784 1539
M023386B784 1550

M023386B784A1 1458
M023386B784A1 1522

If I had enough $$$ I'd do a VOA from each different batch!
smile.gif

Here is the number from the last 4 quarts that I have sitting in my garage. I've had this oil for about 2 months now:

M023386BTAG785 2208

My oil isn't quite as green as Schaeffer's #703 but is does smell nice. Not quite the Gummi bear smell but certain a more pleasant odor than normal motor oil.

5 bottles, 1 bought separately. My numbers are similar to Patman's:

M023386B784 1621
M023386B784 1552
M023386B784 1559
M023386B784A1 1500

Unfortunately one bottle has the numbers totally obliterated. What is this A1 designation I wonder?

EDIT: Wow, they must fill a *lot* of bottles at any given time! I'm assuming the last numbers are times, and they are really close to Patman's group - pretty good from one side of the country to the other.
smile.gif

[ July 13, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: 4DSC ]

quote:

Originally posted by 4DSC:
What is this A1 designation I wonder?

If it says it meets ACEA A1, then it's not the German stuff. Here's what the German Syntec label looks like:

-

Patman, I'm calling those two lots, with multiple fill times.

Looks like G-Man and pscholte have the same lot, in Carolina and Colorado, to boot.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by 4DSC:
What is this A1 designation I wonder?

If it says it meets ACEA A1, then it's not the German stuff. Here's what the German Syntec label looks like:

Ah, um..... heheh, thanks G-Man, but I meant the "A1" at the end of the production number, not that other A1 (or the steak sauce).
wink.gif

My Syntec is the "right" kind.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
...please quote the lot and production numbers, and the fill time that are inkjetted onto the bottom of the bottles.

Let's see if this is one batch that has come to the continent, or a production series.

Sorry can't post the number because the last remaining quart that I have is in my in-laws garage. Anyway as far as the reference to coolant is concerned the batch that I poured into my engine did look a lot like coolant.
shocked.gif
At first I was hesitant to pour it in because the color reminds me of coolant.
nono.gif
Can't wait to get a UOA on this oil. Now if only I can find some more of these stuff. The store (Autozone - Artesia, CA) only had 6 quarts on the shelf.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
From what you all are saying, sounds like I need to take it out of my "oil cellar" in the basement (you all do have climate controlled oil cellars, right?)

Yes I do actually! (well technically, my "oil shrine" is in the laundry room in the basement, where it's always in the range of 68-72F year round)
smile.gif

Not only that Dr T, but like fine wine, if you want German Castrol to retain its Gummi Bear fruity fragrance, you must keep it in a climate controlled storage facility. Speaking of which, does anyone think M1 0W40 smells like Hershey Kisses?

You're right, it does look very much like coolant mixed in with oil. I use the same drain pan for both coolant and oil, and when the two of them get mixed together, the color looks a lot like this German Castrol does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back