anyone watch this ? : OVER A BARREL : ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. We use too much oil per person, noway we can stop importing oil for the next 50 years and that why we involved heavily in the middle-east where 2/3 of all proven oil reserve is located.

if this is a crisis , why haven't they made 55 m.p.h. the national speed limit again . The revenue ( tickets ) could put more police ( jobs ) on the road to enforce the speed limit ( more money ) and help protect the public . Plus use the money to repair bridges and roads ( jobs ) . Then another portion of it to help fund alternative energy to give to the companies or programs to make homes more fuel effecient with windows , doors , furnaces , wind power , solar power , insulation , etc.. This would provide jobs as well . I just
21.gif

Smokey:

We'd call that "political suicide".
wink.gif

Seriously though, most of our roads are posted 100km/h (about 62mph), but that's only because we have a large percentage of incompetent (and some ignorant) drivers.

I can assure everyone it could handle 80mph... If people knew how to merge properly, for one...

did it in the late 70's and early 80's and didn't cause catastrophic results to the economy . Most likely oil is lobbying not to lower the speed limit .

Maybe it didn't cause catastrophic damage to the economy, but it caused catastrophic damage to my karma.
LOL.gif

Resonable speed doesn't kill. An unreasonable speed differential (speed difference between fast drivers and slow drivers) does. The 55 MPH limit was ignored by 90% of the people who thought they could get away with higher speeds.

It was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now. If you want to curb fuel use, you have to do it via economic measures - you have to make it cost to drive. Make people slow down by giving them the incentive to become hypermilers.

Put a 100% tax on oil. That would reduce consumption.

we're all lemmings going off a cliff at 70+ m.p.h.. Economic suicide .
whistle.gif

55 mph is good when a bus is being driven to the yard for service, with only the driver aboard, but full of passengers who could be earning $15/hour, driving slow is a tremendous waste of human resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back