Anyone using Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh

If so, likes or dislikes? Thinking about trying it out in my 2002 GM 5.3
thumbsup2.gif

I have not used it myself, but I have reviewed many reports on its behavior in the gas UOA section. If you're looking for a long drain, solid oil, it may fill your bill. If you're looking for a thicker oil that will remain a 40 wt, you might want to look elsewhere. Though this oil protects well and long, it does have a rep for consistently thinning down into the 30 range.

Yes great oil have used it in my '99 5.7 Z71 and it loved it. ran it 6,000 should have gone longer...mileage seemed the same as a 5w30.

M1 0w40 in my family's e320 cdi for the first 100k miles...fantastic oil. In the 2 years I worked at a Mercedes dealership, we NEVER had a car come in for an oil-related engine failure, and this is when they were running at 13k factory-recommended OCI's with 0w40.

M1 0w40 and GC (Syntec 0w30) are both excellent oils, and I would use whichever one you can get cheaper.

Originally Posted By: arh
thumbsup2.gif

I don't suggest you use a 40 weight in the 5.3 motor. I have a 2001 5.3 and tried the 5w-40 shell Rotella-T synthetic. I did not get any more performance of mileage from that oil. The best mileage I got with that engine is with Castrol 0w-30 (German Castrol). I think the engine tolerances are made for 30 weight. Try the Mobil-1 0W-30 Green cap

Last edited:
If you are going to run a 40wt, then run the TDT 5w40. It's a superior oil with a very robust additive package and a much better deal than the 0w40 IMO
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Loobed
thumbsup2.gif

I don't suggest you use a 40 weight in the 5.3 motor. I have a 2001 5.3 and tried the 5w-40 shell Rotella-T synthetic. I did not get any more performance of mileage from that oil. The best mileage I got with that engine is with Castrol 0w-30 (German Castrol). I think the engine tolerances are made for 30 weight. Try the Mobil-1 0W-30 Green cap

Unfortunately, the OP didn't give us much info. If he is considering a 40 wt because his engine is worn and consuming lighter oils, then using a 40 would be legitimate.

Otherwise, you're generally correct, except for one thing: you mean his engine clearances were designed for 30 wt oils. Tolerance is how much deviation is permitted from designed ideal clearance. Don't feel bad, you ain't the first one here who's made this error, and you surely won't be the last.
cheers3.gif

This engine like most GM's are recommended for a 5w30 OR 10w30,0w30 and a 40 can be used without issue...but i agree should not need it these engines run/wear great,a good 5w30 or 0w30 is all that's needed

I used it before and it is a great oil. It will work fine in your 5.3. The 0W40 can be considered a heavy 30 weight. Try it, I believe you will like the oil.

thumbsup2.gif

I've used it to reduce consumption in a Saturn SL2 while providing cold start flow protection in a very short trips - coupled with long drives when I periodically returned home on the weekends. It performed fine and did reduce consumption and I noticed no difference between it or GC in the same vehicle...

I should have given more info. . My 5.3 uses no oil, I was just thinking of trying something else. I really want to try a 0w because of the cold MN winters. GC and Rotella Syn are not that easy to come by.

I should have given more info. . My 5.3 uses no oil, I was just thinking of trying something else. I really want to try a 0w because of the cold MN winters. GC and Rotella Syn are not that easy to come by.

well then 0w30 from walmart will work great in that truck,try it.

I have used it in both of my cars.

I still use it in one. I don't use it in the other because the other has worn valve stem seals from improper maintainance by the PO.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If you are going to run a 40wt, then run the TDT 5w40. It's a superior oil with a very robust additive package and a much better deal than the 0w40 IMO
thumbsup2.gif

I totally disagree. The TDT has a significantly higher HT/HS viscosity and is generally thicker at all temperatures then Mobil 1 0w-40, which might lead to decreased fuel economy and engine sluggishness. Plus, the 0w-40 has higher then GF-4 levels of zinc and phosphorous - 200 ppm more, so it's additive package is better then a run of the mill SM/GF-4 oil.

0w-40 Mobil 1 is their best oil IMO.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
thumbsup2.gif

Rotella 5w-40 has a HT/HS viscosity way above 4 so it's a lot thicker then Mobil 1 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: StevieC
thumbsup2.gif

I totally disagree. The TDT has a significantly higher HT/HS viscosity and is generally thicker at all temperatures then Mobil 1 0w-40, which might lead to decreased fuel economy and engine sluggishness. Plus, the 0w-40 has higher then GF-4 levels of zinc and phosphorous - 200 ppm more, so it's additive package is better then a run of the mill SM/GF-4 oil.

0w-40 Mobil 1 is their best oil IMO.

You mean it's an actual 40wt oil versus your M1's thick 30wt (0w40)

And a weight of oil determines it to be the best? I thought additive packages mattered more (TDT having a better one)

I better start reading more...
smirk2.gif

We are just having a discussion, I'm not fighting you, I'm just answering your post to which you quoted me.

I'm just stating my opinion in response to your post.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back