Anyone using Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
the 0w-40 has higher then GF-4 levels of zinc and phosphorous - 200 ppm more, so it's additive package is better then a run of the mill SM/GF-4 oil.

0w-40 Mobil 1 is their best oil IMO.

I don't doubt it's their best oil. I wonder if it is their most expensive to produce as well?

Are the zinc and phosphorous levels the only thing that preclude it from meeting GF-4 /SM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Are the zinc and phosphorous levels the only thing that preclude it from meeting GF-4 /SM?

thats the main reason yes..it's a great oil ONE.....of there best

Can this be used in a '95 Toyota Camry safely?

If it uses no/little oil sure it can..

Being a 40wt is enough to prevent it from being GF-4. >30wt cannot be GF-4

I switched my X3 truck from 0W-40 to 5W-40 TDT to see if the UOAs look any better. That said, the 0W-40 does fine on an OCI of around 8,000 miles. I still run 0W-40 in the Club Sport, and I've had no problems with it in that application either.

I'm using it in both of my cars, '05 Opel Astra Wagon 1.8 and '96 Audi S6 2.2 Avant, since it has the right approvals from GM and Audi/VW.

I'm currently 4000 mi. into a run of M1 0w-40 in my SRT-4.
I usually run a 5w-30 but last time was Brad Penn 0w-30.

The only difference I notice is the pcv catch can is filling up extremely fast (every 1000 mi) with the M1 where the last fill took the whole oci (5000 mi.)

That, and it won't meet GF-4 starburst fuel economy requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back