Anyone Using a Cordless Walk-Behind Battery Operated Lawn Mower?

The gas powered lawn mower my dad left me when he passed away has finally given up the ghost. It was your basic, non-bagging lawn mower, that was light enough to push and pull easily. Our yard is extremely sloped, a common occurrence here in the mountains, and that lawn mower helped to reduce the amount of weed trimming that's needed by allowing me to mow some of the top part of the slope. I've already purchased a combination front/rear wheel drive mower to help with the slope but it is extremely heavy. I'd like another lighter, easier to maneuver mower for the same purpose as the old one. Does anybody here use one of the newer battery powered mowers, and if so, what model? Also what are your likes/dislikes of your mower. Do they do a good job of cutting your grass? Are they powerful enough for your needs? Thanks.

The gas powered lawn mower my dad left me when he passed away has finally given up the ghost. It was your basic, non-bagging lawn mower, that was light enough to push and pull easily. Our yard is extremely sloped, a common occurrence here in the mountains, and that lawn mower helped to reduce the amount of weed trimming that's needed by allowing me to mow some of the top part of the slope. I've already purchased a combination front/rear wheel drive mower to help with the slope but it is extremely heavy. I'd like another lighter, easier to maneuver mower for the same purpose as the old one. Does anybody here use one of the newer battery powered mowers, and if so, what model? Also what are your likes/dislikes of your mower. Do they do a good job of cutting your grass? Are they powerful enough for your needs? Thanks.
I know of 2 people with Toro and they seem to like them. Batteries are pretty expensive if you need and extra one.

I have a Remington 20" that is two years old. I use it for trim mowing around my two acres where the garden tractors can't go and forsome of my more difficult ditch areas. In general I can do all the work I need with one battery charge.

Pro: It is easier to use than a trimmer. Easy to push around.

Con:I have had times when I needed to wait to finish because the mower ran out of power. It takes a four hour cool down and another three hours to charge.

If I have to do over, I would get a Ryobi One Plus 16" mower that uses my 18V batteries I already have. However, it was $100 more than the Remington at the time.

I don't know how well they work, but I would be interested in the the Dewalt since I have their tools and they could share batteries. I think my yard is too big to be able to complete in one charge, so I am not interested right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Did the battery just wear out? I don't know about mower batteries but for example, a cordless tool with a battery that costs say $120 can be rebuilt for $30 in cells and some solder.

Did the battery just wear out? I don't know about mower batteries but for example, a cordless tool with a battery that costs say $120 can be rebuilt for $30 in cells and some solder.
In my case, the battery is still fine. This mower gets what I consider very light use.

Remington recommends and provides a place for two batteries. That doubles the time usage capability. I do one hour or less of trim mowing every week, in general, so I make do with one battery.

I've had the Kobalt 80v mower for a couple years now. It has plenty of power and I can mow my yard approximately 3x before recharging. It's easy to raise and lower the deck and is easy to push around. I bought the non-self propelled version. My only complaint is that it doesn't do a great job of lifting up and mulching leaves. I would consider trying the Toro battery power push mower. I have their 60v trimmer and chain saw and have been happy with them.

With a sloped yard you either need to use a trimmer or a 2 stroke mower, the only other way around this is to check the oil level before you use it the next time. Do you have a picture of your sloped yard to help members here give you some suggestions?

I have a few customers with the Toros and they like them. Functions almost exactly like their regular recycler mowers, just quieter and lighter. Toro also has a pretty big line-up of battery powered equipment taking the same batteries, so there should be good support years down the road if you need replacement batteries.

My son is buying his first house, yard looks small enough to use a battery pushmower. I'm going to take my gas pushmower over after he closes, and see how long it takes to mow. If its 45min or less, and i think it will be, i will probably get him a battery mower as a house warming gift.

I just purchased this Waitley 5.0 Dewalt Lithium Ion knock-off for $35 US. It works fine. Dewalt mowers were coming with with two of those 5.0’s but now the self propelled Dewalts come with two 12.0’s. You can use them with Dewalt tools.
To the OP, I would take a look at the Dewalt mower. :D

C4155C80-BEF0-406F-B295-4024846C7853.jpeg
92013974-76F1-4F26-ADB8-EAC24093D01F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
My neighbor has an EGO mower and I am impressed with it although I am not ready for an electrical mower yet.

I just purchased this Waitley 5.0 Dewalt Lithium Ion knock-off for $35 US. It works fine. Dewalt mowers were coming with with two of those 5.0’s but now the self propelled Dewalts come with two 12.0’s. You can use them with Dewalt tools.
To the OP, I would take a look at the Dewalt mower. :D

View attachment 100750View attachment 100753
I was surprised Dewalt didn't start with a 60V mower. Especially in the self propelled model. They have 60V tools already, but I guess most home owners have 20V tools. My 20 year old Craftsman with a 6.75 Briggs starts first or second pull, so I might consider electric if the deck falls apart. They need to get at least an hour run for me to consider.

Two of my 3 sons bought the Ryobi 40 volt mowers. They adjust power to the cutting blade if they hit thicker grass or if you push faster. Cut looks good to me. One has a very sloped ditch he mows and the 4 cycle mowrs shoot the oil out the crankcase vent. Two stroke motors are not available around here anymore as far as I know and the Ryobi's are pretty light weight too.

I’ve got the 60v toro 21” self propelled mower. It’s flat out awesome. A real steel deck, a real mower blade (many electric mowers use a super thin blade) and more powerful than my snapper commercial with the Honda 190 engine. Equal in power to my downright epic lawnboy 6.5hp silver series. and it’s light too. I do not use the bag. It mulches well.

I've got the Ego mower. It's ok, but it bogs down bagging in medium height grass and leaves clippings. I would buy the Toro 60V mower when this one craps out.

My apologies for getting back to this thread so late. Had some pressing family issues to work through. Appreciate all the great input.

With a sloped yard you either need to use a trimmer or a 2 stroke mower, the only other way around this is to check the oil level before you use it the next time. Do you have a picture of your sloped yard to help members here give you some suggestions?
Good idea.

For my situation I wouldn't need any front or rear wheel drive. It would provide no benefit to what I need one for. What I do need is a mower that would give me approximately 30 minutes of mowing power to get through the slope and the other section of the yard that needs mowing before I break out my Toro 4 wheel drive mower to tackle the really hard part. I'll start looking ar some of the suggestions and see if I can find a economical option for what I need. Again, many thanks for the help.

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased a Ryobi 40V 20" walk behind lawn mower. I got tired looking at lawn mowers and decided I'd just take a chance that this one will do what I need one to do. It was a little pricey but what isn't right now. Tried to post a picture but had trouble doing it. My thanks again for those that offered information and suggestions/

Back