Anyone use SEARS' appliance repair service before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dryer broke and I ordered a technician on the internet that's coming this Friday. I had to pay a $129 flat labor rate. How do I know if the Labor+Parts are going to cost over $300? I could buy a new dryer with that money. Is the $129 the labor for fixing it or diagnostics?

If you're curious, my 16 year old dryer does not blow heat and the timer does not stop when the dryer door is closed, even in off position.

Sears is a terrible place to go or buy anything, service or merchandise. Their prices are bad. Their employees are stupid. Their sales tactics are typically illegal. Paying $129 before they even see you dryer sounds like a bad idea. Adding parts could very well cost more than a new dryer.

^^ But they make a darn good American-made Kenmore dryer.... 16 years of trouble-free operation.... until yesterday.

Buy a new GAS dryer, 16 year old dryer of any brand does not worth anything to be fixed. Or you can buy a 3-4 year old dryer for less than $150 in most market, look at your local Craiglist for used dryers.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
^^ But they make a darn good American-made Kenmore dryer.... 16 years of trouble-free operation.... until yesterday.
Yes Whirlpool makes good dryers.

Sears doesn't make them. Decades ago Sears was a good store, with good values, and good service. Today, completely the opposite. The only reason I'd step foot in one of their stores is to burn it down.

In most markets you get the same repair service from either Whirpool or Sears, A&E Factory Service. The company is part owned by both IIRC.

I have heard some complaints about them before. I've had one experience with them to fix my Whirlpool Icemaker under warranty. The guy sent out that time was top notch.

Grab a 10% off lowes coupon, and see what they have on sale.

Home Depot also takes their coupons.

I bought a couple amana washers and dryers for rental properties, they are fine. Both were under $300 delivered for electric dryers.

Its a no brainer, sometimes they aren't worth fixing.

My dryer broke and I ordered a technician on the internet that's coming this Friday. I had to pay a $129 flat labor rate. How do I know if the Labor+Parts are going to cost over $300? I could buy a new dryer with that money. Is the $129 the labor for fixing it or diagnostics?

If you're curious, my 16 year old dryer does not blow heat and the timer does not stop when the dryer door is closed, even in off position.

The web site you set up the appointment from spells it out...it's a "flat rate"...you pay no more for labor.

"This is the total charge for our visit and labor (part costs not included). No hourly rate, no hidden fees."

It's my opinion that for appliances under $500 or so it's not worth it to pay someone else to repair it. A simple fix, and you wasted a lot on the labor. A difficult (or any) fix and they will charge you bloated parts costs.

16 years is good for a dryer. Other stuff will be going out soon. I diy appliance repair using several excellent web sites that walk you thru the steps with pictures and parts diagrams. I will guess your dryer is repairable diy for under $100 in parts. Pay for them to do it....I think you will hit at least $250 real easy. Just a hunch.

Spend your dollars more wisely.

I have some ideas about the no heat thing. What do you mean that the timer does not stop when the door is closed?

We were given a nearly new Kenmore washer and dryer. When the dryer was plugged in and turned on, there was a loose dryer rack that became wedged in the dryer causing the heating element to "explode". We took the Sears $129 warranty. They made two trips (one to diagnose) and installed a new heating element. The total theoretical cost to repair was still below $300 so the $129 warranty worked well for us.

There's not too much to a dryer that would cause the bill to go over $300. It's a rather simple appliance (take a look at it when the shell is off) plus it includes a 1 year warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

The web site you set up the appointment from spells it out...it's a "flat rate"...you pay no more for labor.

"This is the total charge for our visit and labor (part costs not included). No hourly rate, no hidden fees."

It's my opinion that for appliances under $500 or so it's not worth it to pay someone else to repair it. A simple fix, and you wasted a lot on the labor. A difficult (or any) fix and they will charge you bloated parts costs.

16 years is good for a dryer. Other stuff will be going out soon. I diy appliance repair using several excellent web sites that walk you thru the steps with pictures and parts diagrams. I will guess your dryer is repairable diy for under $100 in parts. Pay for them to do it....I think you will hit at least $250 real easy. Just a hunch.

Spend your dollars more wisely.

I have some ideas about the no heat thing. What do you mean that the timer does not stop when the door is closed?

The only way to start and stop the dryer is to close and open the dryer door. When the knob is in off position and the dryer door is closed, the timer does not stop and goes to the next drying method and starts automatically. I have to open the dryer door for the Drying Method/Timer knob and dryer itself to stop.

I don't think that Sears is alone in the poor service or quality. We bought a new Maytag washer and it lasted just past a year. Since I had a extended warranty I wasn't concerned until I found that it was a dealer warranty and it had been bought out by another dealer. Since it was only out by a week I thought that maybe Maytag would go ahead and work with me on it. Wrong. Finally after much talking and phone calls they agreed to the labor and me the parts. Ended up not costing anything, whether by mistake or because the dealer thought that it was worth it for good will. My daughter also bought a new Maytag through Lowe's. The same dealer handles warranty on it. Leaks when on the highest level and they can't fix it. From time to time it will start leaking even on lower levels and then stop. So when I bought my new refrig. I went to sears for the product and warranty. It was about $100. more overall, but their service includes much more and is inclusive. Since the other choice was through Lowe's it made it easier. I just don't think that anymore the appliance makers design really good long lasting equipment and really push the extended warranty. As for this case for a 16 year old dryer I'd go look at a new one that is probably more energy efficient anyway.

My Kenmore front load washer failed to spin after about 5 years of service. Sears repairman came to the house and charged me a $100 service charge. Said he couldn't fix the machine without a serial or model #. Customer service was absolutely clueless. Had to call Sears headquarters to get the service charge refunded. Tools and small appliances, maybe. Large purchases, never! No wonder my local Sears looks like a ghost town.

Since this thread started I just happen to have been looking for an old washer/dryer on craigslist for my shop. It's really quite amazing the selection you can find in dryers for under $50. Some of them are literally only a couple years old! I decided rather than even BUY one for my shop I'm going to wait until there's a FREE one I like! (there are several)

Actually the local Sears contracted independent repair service in this area is VERY competent. (I was surprised) Our Sears fancy side by side fridge (Amana) is about 9 years old and started having multiple issues. We were on the verge of just dumping it.....called Sears and they offered us the (ripoff) $129 warranty thingy on special to cover any issues for a year...crazy as it sounds, we went for it. The parts alone were over $200, the guy needed to come back because he didn't have the fan motor and some other parts for the ice maker (which I think the kids broke). Anyway - $129 and the thing is like new. Not bad.

So your deal is not the "warranty" deal? No parts included? Doesn't sound worth it on an old dryer. Ours included parts, but was a special or something, but maybe age is a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back