Anyone use Motorcraft's quick struts?

I just got a good deal on a front pair ASTL1/ASTL2 for my Taurus
$49 each
Anyone used them?
Can't be much worse than the 15 year old NYC beaten ones in it now?
I gotta figure out something for the rear now
Might go for KYB quick struts, they've supposedly got the improved coil to keep the rear end up
I know you can make your own with the Moog CC859 cargo coils, but it's too hot and I'm too short tempered to go double or nothing with the spring compressor again
mad.gif

Anyone that's owned a Taurus/Sable knows what I'm talking about
coffee2.gif

Those rear strut pinch bolts are probably gonna be a PITA
Anyone happen to have a part # or size for them?

The pinch bolts are still carried by Ford. They were sold loose, each bolt with a dab of dry locking compound. Make sure you soak the existing pinch bolts with your favourite penetrating oil a day or two in advance. Some say to work the bolt back and fourth while you work it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
I just got a good deal on a front pair ASTL1/ASTL2 for my Taurus
$49 each
Anyone used them?
Can't be much worse than the 15 year old NYC beaten ones in it now?
I gotta figure out something for the rear now
Might go for KYB quick struts, they've supposedly got the improved coil to keep the rear end up
I know you can make your own with the Moog CC859 cargo coils, but it's too hot and I'm too short tempered to go double or nothing with the spring compressor again
mad.gif

Anyone that's owned a Taurus/Sable knows what I'm talking about
coffee2.gif

Those rear strut pinch bolts are probably gonna be a PITA
Anyone happen to have a part # or size for them?

The continental front strut bolts (I know the knuckle crosses with the taurus) I got in a hardware store, I think SAE grade 8 size. They were beat to death when they came out. A good hardware store will have Grade 8 hardware.

This finally cleared the cloud to my iPad. Here is a shot of a pinch bolt I acquired from the Ford dealership. It's supposed to be one of two pinch bolts for the rear struts of a 2005 Taurus. The dab of chemical does not go all the way around the bolt. Notice also the end is tapered.

2A5B1911-FA8D-4F81-9C3B-D63FE72D1003.jpeg

Motorcraft quick struts use all-OE parts, including the spring and mount. These two pieces seem to be the biggest trouble spots in many aftermarket quick struts, generic springs and low quality mounts. The KYB quick struts will not be better than Motorcraft.

Here is an application list the posted when they first came out a couple years ago. They cover most of the popular Ford models. There may be more quick struts now.

Honda also sells OEM quick struts for some of their cars, but their application list is still short, and they are very expensive.

Reactions: Y_K
Interesting - and GLAD to see they make them for the 2010 Escape / Mariner ! Thanks for the find. Who knows? I might need them someday; the Escape is at 86k miles right now.

OP, Ford is famous for using one-time use Torque to Yield(TTY) bolts, make sure that you have replacement bolts on hand otherwise you will have a vehicle out of commission for a bit. Ask me how I know...

Originally Posted by BrownBox88
Didn't know they have their own branded quickstruts. Do they make it for most models or just older vehicles?

The applications seem hit or miss. I would sell more of them if they were readily available for same day delivery like a lot of Motorcraft parts are to me. I'm not going to stock any though, since they tend to me more than people here want to spend.

Back