Anyone use a Mityvac on their mower?

I've got a Toro zero turn mower with a Kawasaki two cylinder engine. I do a tune-up including oil change every other year. The oil change gets a little messy so that got me to thinking about using my Mityvac that I got for the Audi. Have any of you ever used a vac on your mower? Does it get it all out?
Thanks.

I've got a Toro zero turn mower with a Kawasaki two cylinder engine. I do a tune-up including oil change every other year. The oil change gets a little messy so that got me to thinking about using my Mityvac that I got for the Audi. Have any of you ever used a vac on your mower? Does it get it all out?
Thanks.
I Use my 6 quart Pela extractor for my Honda LM and my Camry. The Pela came with 3 different sized tubes. Just insert the appropriate tube in the sump, pump it up 15 times and it does the rest.

Thanks.

All of them.
Works great.
Only thing it doesn't work on so far was my onan 8000 genset.

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
I have MityVac'ed engines, auto transmissions, brake master cylinders and power steering systems.
It did not work on a '98 Accord LX, but that was because I wasn't doing it right. It actually worked fine.

Give it a shot!

I'm not familiar with mityvacs or other similar products. Is it powerful and aimable enough to suck up metal debris?

So I'd be confident using a mityvac on anything with an oil filter but not confident on engines without an oil filter.

This thread reminded me of the time I sucked the oil out of my 25yo Honda self propelled mower with a similar contraption. I got sidetracked and forgot to fill the oil back up. Went on to mow the entire year until the next spring when I realized I didn't fill it back up.

Still runs fine.

Thanks.

I used my "Mityvac" knock off on my buddies Toro push mower that doesn't have a drain plug. I propped it up on a 2x4 to let the oil drain towards the fill / dipstick tube to try and get as much out as possible. I think I had pretty good success. The little bit that was left won't hurt anything. It sure was cleaner than the last time I did it and tipped it over to drain it out the fill / dipstick tube.

I recently bought my EWK oil extractor from Amazon. It has paid for itself with a no mess change on this lawnmower, my Ram brake fluid reservoir and today I did the Jeeps transmission. Money well spent IMO.

just my $0.02

I'm not familiar with mityvacs or other similar products. Is it powerful and aimable enough to suck up metal debris?

So I'd be confident using a mityvac on anything with an oil filter but not confident on engines without an oil filter.
yes its powerful enough to suck up metal- although the tube is a rather small diameter and would clog pretty easy if you have anything of substance in there.

works great on the 300 series deere's (onan) leaves less than 2oz dont have to fiddle with the valve inside frame rail and dribbling all over everything.
Most of my ope has easier drain plugs and I have no need to use the oil extractor on them.

if you have chunks of metal in the oil you have more problems than an oil change is going to fix anyway.

I prefer tipping my mower over, and I do my oil changes every other month, so I would have no problem using a Mityvac, I just don't have one.

I have a Harbor Freight version that works very well!

JQAzMLp.jpg

The best way to do it is to warm up the equipment and the oil will extract a whole lot easier.

I give the guy tons of credit for taking a lot of hits in that interview and keeping it positive. Very great performance by a CEO.

Hilarious Leslie couldn't get it to charge....

Back