Anyone try Dunlop RVXT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the way the tire looked too and the pricing was good so I bought a set from Tire Rack for use on my 4Runner. 3 different installers couldn't get them balanced well enough that I didn't have annoying vibrations. And multiple calls to Tire Rack who in turn called Goodyear/Dunlop couldn't find me a dealer who would try to resolve it and warranty the bad tire(s).

I finally send them back to Tire Rack and got Bridgestone Revos. You pay your money and take your chances, but I'd avoid them if I were you. Get BFG's or Bridgestones. You'll end up much happier.

In speaking with a manager of a well-regarded tire & alignment shop, he told me there were some Dunlop tire models that could never be balanced completely, they were so out of round right from the factory. Anecdotal, I know. Maybe the RVXT is one of them?

quote:

In speaking with a manager of a well-regarded tire & alignment shop, he told me there were some Dunlop tire models that could never be balanced completely, they were so out of round right from the factory. Anecdotal, I know. Maybe the RVXT is one of them?

I'd say that's likely. I wouldn't have minded it so much if Goodyear would have managed to find one of their dealers who would warranty the tires. But my only option was to keep exchanging tires with Tire Rack and keep having them mounted at my expense until I finally got a set of 4 that were round and had reasonable road force numbers.

I did get a good set of tires though. They were just a different brand...
wink.gif

You'd think Dunlop would have fixed that problem. I know their truck tires were like that in the past. This is a pretty new design, still screwed up huh?

I know the Revos are good. My friend has them on a 4wd Tacoma, you wouldn't believe how he drives that thing. Twisties, sand dunes etc. Impressive AT tire. But I was looking for something different. I like tires with sidewall tread since the truck see's the deep stuff sometimes.

I have BFG AT's now, and like them. Just wanted to try something different.

From some "inside" experiance:

The Dunlop Rover RVXT is a good tire, from a price point to a functionality standpoint.

Great grip, quite ride, and a severe winter service rating like the BF Goodrich AT KO.

The only problem as mentioned is the balancing issue. I have not personally crossed it but some online forums (ie tire rack) note that some GY Assurance Comfort Treads also have a potential balancing issue.

As far as getting some one to do a warranty adjustment technically any dealer of GY should honor that. It comes down to how aggressive you are, who you talk to, and even who you know in the Tire business. Any one can do a warranty adjustment if the WANT to. The key is weather or not there is any $$$ in it for the local shop to do that for you. For example you have better chance of getting them to give you a $ adjustment of you have 25% wear left. That means they would gladly sell you a new set of tires minus the $ adjustment. All the shop is thinking about are the profit margins for tire balancing, alignments, valve stems and road hazard $ to be gained by you.

Sad situation is it not? It sounds as if Tire rack needs to strenghten its relationship with local vendors to make tire warranty adjustments less of PIA for the consumer.

My .02$ worth.

In my case the problem was that I had one or more bad *new* tires and 3 local dealers all refused to do warranty replacement on these tires since they were sold by Tire Rack. The tires were less than 1 week old and I'm certain GY would have paid them for that work. And Goodyear was unable to find *any* dealer within 50 miles that would do the work because they didn't sell the tires initially. All to try and prove a point. That's not cutting your nose off to spite your face, that's the whole head.

No hair off my back. Goodyear lost a single set national sale and any chance I'll ever purchase one of their tires in the future, and the local dealers can be assured I'll never do business with them in the future either.

It was a good learning experience for me though. In the future, why would I ever consider buying a tire with no effective warranty procedure?. The answer of course is, I won't...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back