Anyone suspect gas stations sometimes charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Ca is very strict about this. The state checks the gas station's every month or so.

I somehow doubt they are checking each pump every month (or so). Legally it only has to be done annually. Having it done more often than that unless there's a customer complaint seems like a massive waste of taxpayer dollars to me.

Isn't the entire state of CA a waste of taxpayer's dollars? I'd think that you'd see similar antics in IL, as I do here in WI WRT wasting tax dollars.

Years ago we had a station here that tested low on quantity. For a fine they had to sell gas at a specified discount for a specified amount of time.

And there was a news clip about some station that had special software that would dispense the correct amount at specific volumes like the volumes that the authorities check, but if you purchased less than or more than that amount it would short you.

There is a station by the rout 79 exit for Linesville that has sold gas by the Liter instead of by the gallon, and their price once you do the math is much higher than anyone else. Many vehicles that travel to that area for camping travel from a decent distance like about 90 miles from Pittsburgh to there, and many require gas when they get off of 79. That station makes a killing on the over-charge, and they do it in plain sight just by selling by the Liter when all other stations in Pennsylvania sell by the gallon.

There's some really good replies here. It's not scientific but I just know that if I fill up at certain pumps I consistently pump close to a certain amount and at others a fill will pump about ~1 gal or so more. I certainly don't want to give them $4 more on top of the $50 for a usual fill up.

As far as saying if you think the pump is metering wrong, then call the weights and measures bureau, that's a good idea but it shouldn't have to come to that. I'm not convinced the government cares anymore about protecting consumers. I'm not sure if they'd honestly correct the problem. It's possible the station operater could remotely alter the calibration too when weights and measures shows up.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Ca is very strict about this. The state checks the gas station's every month or so.

I somehow doubt they are checking each pump every month (or so). Legally it only has to be done annually. Having it done more often than that unless there's a customer complaint seems like a massive waste of taxpayer dollars to me.

According to the CDFA there's about 320 inspectors statewide (source). I couldn't find a good source for how many pumps are in the state, if we take the approximately 9,700 (source) stations, estimate they have 4 double-sided islands that each dispense regular, mid-grade & premium, that's 232,800* pumps they have to check.

That works out to each inspector having to arrive at, inspect, document & return from three pumps a day in order to do them all annually. To do all of them every two months, that's 18 a day, every day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. Perhaps your state workers are more motivated than they are in the Land of Lincoln but I somehow expect they've got plenty else to do (paperwork, mostly) besides repeatedly filling the calibrated fixture and racing from station to station.

*9,700 stations * 4 islands per station * 2 dispensers per island * 3 pumps per dispenser = 232,800 pumps... probably a low estimate when you consider the fueling stations at truck stops or Costco.
Well they come in. Rope off the entire station and do their thing. Takes a while. I've had to go up the street to another station, pass by 45 minutes later and they are still doing their thing. BTW we have 1 handle per dispenser.

BTW we have 1 handle per dispenser.

Each fuel dispensed counts as a separate pump, regardless if they all come out of the same hose.

Well, I put in 16.8 gallons in my 14 gallon tank yesterday. Racetrack gas station, the cheapest around...

I think it happens from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Well, I put in 16.8 gallons in my 14 gallon tank yesterday. Racetrack gas station, the cheapest around...

I think it happens from time to time.

shocked2.gif
I think you should report that. It's sort of a pain to do and I don't do it either but maybe that's why ths stuff happens as much as it does.

I am really starting to think this station's pumps are overcharging. Gas was low this weekend if you want to call $3.49/gal low, so I topped up the tank. I used a different pump at the station and it registered 3.2 gals to stop at the first click. I only drove 55 miles since the last fill up. I was expecting to buy 2.25 to 2.5 gals tops. I've never recorded 17 mpg before. This seems off by at least 10 percent.

I don't think I've seen this yet. But I do see a lot of problem with pumps keep popping on a regular basis before it is full or water in tanks after rain for the mom and pop non franchised old stations.

A lot of them do intentionally leave the pump without receipts so you have to go inside or just choose no receipt. That's to get you to buy stuff or save money on the receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back