Anyone still have a VCR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have one in the RV, doesn't skip on the bumps like DVD's. Pick up cheap tapes at Goodwill. Keeps the children entertained if they get restless. Have used digital media as well but the VCR is easier on the inverter.

We have 2 one is new/never used. Bought an extra shortly before they dissapeared. Some day hope to watch the hundreds of Disney etc. vhs tapes with grandchildren, but probably not gonna happen. I can see putting one on and the kids saying oh, lets download and watch it in super HD on my tablet gizmo.
I also have a lot of 90's classic bowhunting tapes of Ted Nugent, Dan fitzgerald and even some I filmed of myself.

I have a VCR player on an old CRT TV in my bedroom, and a DVD/VCR player on my 55" flatscreen in the living room.

I also have two old CRT TV's in my shop hooked up to DirecTV so I can watch/listen while I am tinkering. I have a motel manager friend that that has ~150 CRT TV's that he can't sell. He says he'll give me as many 32" TV's as I want. As long as they're free, I'll hook them up in my shop (3200 sq ft). I think 3 more should be just about right. LED and LCD TV's don't do well in the lower temperatures that the shop may get down to.

Last edited:
Since I don't want to $$pend the kind of money everyone wants for a modern TV and DVR, I still use my VCR (1998 vintage) to tape shows off the air. Works fine.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Never had one to begin with. Never missed it.

They are good for recording episodes of Barney and Friends for the grand kids.

We recently dug our VCR up for the kids to watch old videos. The rewind concept took a while to grasp, but now they know why we "tape" shows on the DVR.
We delayed getting a DVR, but I have to admit I like it. One command to record all my F1 races sure is a time saver vs fighting with the VCR for every race and qualifying session.

Whoops -- I meant to say that I tape shows off Cox Cable. Very minimal cable, at that -- Weather Channel, WGN and WTBS, the local channels, and then a slew of home shopping channels and public access outlets. Not really worth the $25 a month. I'd love to have Turner Classic Movies, but that's a premium package at a premium price.

MeTV looks more and more attractive, if I bought a modern TV and DVR and simply recorded things off the (digital) air. But I'd miss the Weather Channel.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I have a VCR player on an old CRT TV in my bedroom, and a DVD/VCR player on my 55" flatscreen in the living room.

I also have two old CRT TV's in my shop hooked up to DirecTV so I can watch/listen while I am tinkering. I have a motel manager friend that that has ~150 CRT TV's that he can't sell. He says he'll give me as many 32" TV's as I want. As long as they're free, I'll hook them up in my shop (3200 sq ft). I think 3 more should be just about right. LED and LCD TV's don't do well in the lower temperatures that the shop may get down to.

32" TVs free? Wow...wish I was closer...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back