Anyone See the Moon Eclipse Last Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was interesting. The moon had a reddish glow around it, and looked very strange and spooky. Too bad it couldn't have happened on Halloween......
shocked.gif

Does anyone want to tell me how the rotation of the moon on it's axis, exactly equals one orbit around the earth? (So as to keep the 'dark' side of the moon always hidden from the earth.)

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
It was interesting. The moon had a reddish glow around it, and looked very strange and spooky. Too bad it couldn't have happened on Halloween......
shocked.gif

Does anyone want to tell me how the rotation of the moon on it's axis, exactly equals one orbit around the earth? (So as to keep the 'dark' side of the moon always hidden from the earth.)

Google: moon rotation locked

and you will find out.

Did I see it? DID I SEE IT?!?! You bet a case of your oil of choice I saw it! It shall now, and forever more, be known as the Red Sox Moon
smile.gif

Started off subtly, black shadow on the edge/no color, but as it reached totality, became more and more reddish. Thankfully, the cloud drifted in and out, and we got a pretty good look here in the Boston area.

It was very sublime to have it coincide with the Red Sox World Series deciding game last night
smile.gif

TOTALLY clear night here last night.

One of the most awesome moon shows I have EVER seen.

1) Appeared relatively HUGE.
2) Colors as noted were just spectacular.
3) Waxing was just as cool as waning and full coverage was real spooky.

We talked about what it would been like to be on the moon!

Lunar eclipses aren't that rare, but this one was indeed a Red Sox moon!!

I got out my Zeiss binoculars and it was so good, I then got out my telescope! 12.5" Meade Starfinder Dobsonian reflector
smile.gif
One day I must buy a camera attachment and take some pictures of the skies.

I watched the Moon through some thin clouds and even though the sky was not perfectly clear it was still an amazing sight. Even inside the city with the street lights it was possible to see the slight red coloration during the full eclipse. If there is a great deal of volcanic activity on the Earth this red coloration sometimes will not appear.

It is strange that this eclipse occurred right during the World Series game involving the Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Both teams wear some red. But it would have been better I think if the eclipse had occurred on Halloween.

The best lunar eclipse I ever saw occurred when I was a young boy. There was not as much light in the city and we watched from our back yard. I had better eyesight in those days also. I still remember the distinct red coloration of the Moon.

XS650, thanks. Tidal locking it is. Very interesting astronomical phenomenon. Say that three times fast.....
grin.gif

The red coloring of the moon during a lunar eclipse is from the earth's atmosphere absorbing the short wave lengths of sunlight, as the light passes through on it's way to the moon. What's left are the longer wave lengths, which are reddish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back