Anyone running Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a new PC today and put the Windows 7 RC on it. Seems to run good, but it doesn't look much different than Vista from first looks. Anyone else running it yet?

Its a RC now.. Release Candidate. Basically means all the features and [censored] are in it and its fairly polished, but not ready for mainstream.

I have it and love it. My only complaint is that NVidia is behind on its drivers as usual.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I have it and love it. My only complaint is that NVidia is behind on its drivers as usual.

They just released a new driver a couple days ago. My 9800 is working just fine.

Is that for the 9800 GTS mobile card?

No, it is a 9800GT PCI Express card for a desktop.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Is that for the 9800 GTS mobile card?

No, it is a 9800GT PCI Express card for a desktop.

Ok. I'll have to wait then. The volumetric radar application I run on Windows 7 as a test is a little slower than Vista due to NVidia being behind on driver development again.

FWIW, it looks like Build 7137 (for X64) is out already. This is supposed to be a pre-RTM. I thought build 7100 that I'm running now was the pre-RTM.

Regardless, I see no reason to upgrade. I'll just wait for the final version.

Love it but I think of it as Vista finally getting finished. Currently running the latest "leak" 7137 64 bit.

Given the hype about Windows 7, will it be worth it to upgrade my budget Vista latop? I mean, I am running 2 gb of ram and really don't have any huge complaints about Vista. Will the RAM demands be similar or more intensive given the fact that this OS is supposed to "fix" the slowness of Vista?

If you are not expierencing any problems to Vista, then I would not upgrade it is just not worth it. If Vista seems sluggish to you I would upgrade your memory before uprading your OS, much better value. For me Win7 RC is more stable than Vista for the applications I run. The requirements for Win7 are no greater than those for Vista.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I think $100 is the max I'd pay to upgrade.

If you own Vista I agree that $99 would be a perfect upgrade price. Too bad it won't happen -- $199 maybe...

I have Vista and I honestly love it. I have a pretty high end PC and I would have no problems upgrading to 7 if it's worth it. I just need to know how it's better than Vista? If it's just Vista with a facelift I will probably wait a bit.

Originally Posted By: JSP
If you are not expierencing any problems to Vista, then I would not upgrade it is just not worth it. If Vista seems sluggish to you I would upgrade your memory before uprading your OS, much better value. For me Win7 RC is more stable than Vista for the applications I run. The requirements for Win7 are no greater than those for Vista.

My laptop is maxed out at 2 gb of ram. Vista IS a tad sluggish for me but it doesn't really bother me as the most intensive app I run at home is Google Earth. That happens to be about the least intensive app I run at work (besides Office) but the COE hasn't had the misfortune of upgrading (?) to Vista, yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back