Anyone running Ubuntu 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Ubuntu page it used to say the 32 bit distro was recommended for most machines. I was able to pick up a bargain basement 64-bit machine detailed

HERE

and I load Ubuntu 64-bit on it, the NVIDIA driver and start using Unity. Load a few more things, like Virtualbox etc and after a while the entire GUI starts slowing down and studdering. I try uninstalling the NVIDIA but that does not fix it. I check the CPU "load" and it has 7 jobs in the run queue, when the machine should be idle.

As a general question, has anyone run 64-bit Ubuntu and had these issues. This was 11.04

Last edited:
On one of my machines i was having those issues. It also was nvidia. I havnt messed with it since. on my other laptop its running flawless but that has intel. Not sure why nvidia doesnt want to play well.

Either upgrade to version 11.10 or do a clean install.

You may also try Lubuntu 64 bit or the KDE version. I like a simple desktop and Like Lubuntu.

Link To Lubuntu

It should solve your problems if you do not need any features that the NVIDIA driver offers.

Do a search for the LXDE Desktop to tweak it.

I run 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 on several machines without issue. Some have Nvidia cards. These machines all run older desktop environments (GNOME on Metacity or Compiz, or twm in one case), so I think the attention should be on Unity and whatever underlying windowing manager makes it work.

I have Ubuntu 11.04 and mint installed. I have an HP PAvilion dv9009. I had some video issues but went to nvidias site. I also went to snaptic package manager. There is a video card fix for Nvidia laptops and for HD video. It seemed to help me,

Malcolm

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
I run 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 on several machines without issue. Some have Nvidia cards. These machines all run older desktop environments (GNOME on Metacity or Compiz, or twm in one case), so I think the attention should be on Unity and whatever underlying windowing manager makes it work.

Same deal here. I haven't had any Nvidia issues from 10.04 and earlier. Something must have gotten broken along the way. I'm still running 10.04 without any Nvidia issues.

I'm running x64 11.10 Ubuntu on one of my boxes that is primarily used as a server. I run the x64 mint on two more, and the x32 mint on another.

I just can't stand Unity, but other than that it's fine. No problems.

Clean install should set you straight. I haven't had driver problems with linux since 2009.

Bit of an update. After my reinstall, the issue reoccured. I revisited the machine a few weeks later and I noticed that my "top" command only was indicating (2) CPUs. My machine has (2) HT processors so it should indicate (4)

Then I remembered I turned off ACPI to get the machine to boot.

Checked the /etc/default/grub file and it was set to noapci and acpi=no; I edited out the acpi=no and the boot loader was updated automatically because at the same time updates were running and I knew grub would be updated as a result of the updates being applied.

Preliminary results look good; CPU's are indicating (4) and the display has not gone into jittery mode. I even switched back to full 3D Nvidia mode and did some Unity tweaks.

I'm sure people are tired of hearing it, but Unity is good (for me) It took me a while to appreciate its fluidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back