Anyone run vanilla M1 10w30 in a diesel?

Just learned that regular Mobil 1 10w30 is API CF approved. Found it out in a tractor oil conversation on Facebook when a guy said that’s what he used in his diesels. I had no idea.

Anyone else run it in a diesel?

Can’t say that I have, although I’ve read the CF rating on their product sheet before. I thought the emissions system protection (ESP) line of Mobil 1 was more geared towards passenger car diesels. Probably good enough for small three cylinder diesel in Deere’s and Kubota’s under 25HP.

It has long been known that synthetic oil does not hold up well when contamination reaches a certain level. In a diesel I reckon that contamination level would be reached in about 10 minutes, at which point the oil is degrading. Regular oil holds up better to contamination. Oil guys will sell you anything to make a buck.

It has long been known that synthetic oil does not hold up well when contamination reaches a certain level. In a diesel I reckon that contamination level would be reached in about 10 minutes, at which point the oil is degrading. Regular oil holds up better to contamination. Oil guys will sell you anything to make a buck.
Known by who ? I can’t run Delvac 1 5w40 as long as Delvac 1300 15w40 ?

What?

Whether the oil is synthetic or not has nothing to do with its contaminating holding capacity. That's a function of the additive package and why oils can be blended for extended drain intervals.

Conventional bases are more prone to degradation due to oxidation, and thus the creation of deposits when that occurs, which is why they are not used for extended drain oils.

There are numerous examples of OTR diesel engines running incredible mileage on synthetic lubes at extended intervals. Member Doug Hillary ran a fleet test of OTR truck trains through the Australian outback testing Delvac 1 for ExxonMobil with ~100,000km drain intervals. A 1.2 million km random tear-down showed parts that were in "as new" condition and were thus returned to service. I believe the test ended at over 2.4 million Km.

What?

Whether the oil is synthetic or not has nothing to do with its contaminating holding capacity. That's a function of the additive package and why oils can be blended for extended drain intervals.

Conventional bases are more prone to degradation due to oxidation, and thus the creation of deposits when that occurs, which is why they are not used for extended drain oils.

There are numerous examples of OTR diesel engines running incredible mileage on synthetic lubes at extended intervals. Member Doug Hillary ran a fleet test of OTR truck trains through the Australian outback testing Delvac 1 for ExxonMobil with ~100,000km drain intervals. A 1.2 million km random tear-down showed parts that were in "as new" condition and were thus returned to service. I believe the test ended at over 2.4 million Km.
There were also some tug boat operations (Cummins) that greatly extended hours with Delvac 1

With that attitude I suspect you aren't going to last too long around here.

Are you legitimately claiming you can't see the correlation between vapid claims about intolerance to fuel dilution peddled by a single newcomer with 15 posts, not backed up by actual data but sarcasm and feigned misbelief and the religious fervour that surrounds LOS by its advocates despite a complete absence of proof?

Trying to undermine the legitimacy of this comparison by characterizing it as schizophrenia clearly betrays your true intentions here, which is obviously nothing more than trolling.
He already has 19 posts...onto something!

Well, clearly you "noobs" are using the wrong oil! Diesel engines require chocolate 10w30 oil and not vanilla. If you're worried about being seen as an oilist, you can opt for the cosmopolitan diversity flavor oil of three blended flavors. 😅

Well, Potato, while some often like to be just funny some also may love the fact that soot makes for higher MOFT or be right in that you don't seem to quantify much of conventionals' advantage – like fourteen minutes vs. the ten of synthetics (all synthetics?) or so.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 195704.jpg

Sounds like you could use somebody around to disagree with the status quo from time to time, and point out obvious facts of tribology such as that synthetic oil does not hold up well to fuel contamination.

We have had several actual tribologists on this board such as @MolaKule over the years. You claiming something is an obvious fact doesn't make it so.

You're right, I saw it opened for (all) contamination while you wanted to extend on different effects of petrodiesel or biodiesel contamination or the like on Grp.I/II against Grp.III. Please excuse. Now, what are the differences you're seeing?

Ships and huge bulk stuff like that still use Grp1 … but it’s a dying breed for things you buy in jugs here …

Back