Anyone run 5W-30 in a Honda K24?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I have to say that you are one of the best on here as far as writing very good posts. Very smart and ask very good questions. I agree with your thinking here. I would run a 5w30. A high molybdenum oil could well be Quaker State Ultimate Durability. 200+ ppm of molybdenum makes it the highest molybdenum oil on the shelf currently available at Wally World. Dexos and HTO-06 approved makes it a very strong oil for the price. I like that oils that have both Dexos and HTO-06 approvals means that the oil is tested while brand new AND it's tested after it has been used as well.

While you have made me blush a bit, I changed in some Amsoil 0W-20 that I bought before I had an application for it.
I got the oil at a killer price and knew that we'd likely have an engine for which 0W-20 was the recommended grade in the near future, so there you go.
I did want to get away from the high VI, therefore high VII as well as very high moly Idemitsu HGMO for a bit. I'll let the 3000 ppm of calcium in the Amsoil clean whatever might need cleaning.
I do have a number of quarts of QSUD 5W-30. This will likely be the winter fill for the '96 Accord and I may use it in the '12 for its summer run next year.
By then we'll have another daily, Fusion, Camry or Accord. Not sure yet.
Each of these cars would have its pros and cons, as with anything else.

Originally Posted By: Swifty
As far as the gas mileage difference between the two grades it is minimal. On my second oil change I used 5w/20 and logged my mileage for the entire interval using a fuel app and then averaged it out. Then went to 30 weight for good and logged the mileage for that interval. This may not be the most scientific way to do it but over the same interval for the two the 30 weight actually yielded a .3 MPG difference to the good over the 20 weight so go figure.

That's another eye opener, good that you have recorded the fuel consumption, thanks!
It will be interesting if this continues long term over with the 10W-30...

What's your daily miles each way , short trips or highway ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back