Anyone remember "Syn-Trek, Inc." syn. additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In roughly the mid-to-late '70's, thru the earliest-to-mid '80's, there was an automotive synthetic lubricants company named "Syn-Trek, Inc" (known simply as, "Syn-Trek" - no relation to Castrol's "Syntec" product brandings of very much later).

Interestingly, this outfit was marketing a line of synthetic engine and transmission oil additives that, for that time, seemed to perform rather nicely. My Dad (now almost 3 years gone, bless him) procured an independent representative status with the company, as he was quite impressed, I recall, with the line, and sensed the usefulness/salability of it. His mechanic had forthrightly recommended and "cured" (yes, I used the dreaded "C" word) some otherwise disturbing automatic trans. problems Dad was having, by installing one of their tranny formulas in his car. And, no kidding, the slipping or whatever was occurring (so many decades ago, I don't really recall) simply quit. Apparently the properties of the material eliminated the varnishing or something from the trans, and the engineered lubricity caused it to perform smoothly and flawlessly thereafter, even until he sold or traded it many years later.

Somewhat poignantly I found one of his later Syn-Trek dealer renewal ID cards in one of his desk drawers while cleaning his and Mom's things out of their home some months ago. It was dated "January 30, 1985", so we know the company was still in business at that time, at least. I don't remember hearing Dad speak much of it after that time, roughly, so they may have ceased operations not long after. And when I think about it, it's just another reminder to me of how influential my Dad has been to me throughout my own life - I carry that same interest in high-tech lubricants and other materials right on with me, today.

The '70's and even early '80's were still the "early days" of direct-to-consumer marketing of the then still relatively unknown automotive synthetics and syn. additives, in which several now well known companies got their starts, such as Conklin (actually Conklin's product developmental roots harken to the '50's) and Amsoil. And, like Syn-Trek, there were probably others.

Any other "ol' timers", like myself, remember "Syn-Trek"?

Last edited:
I still have several cases of Syn-Trek products in my garage. I used them for a while in my pickup trucks in the early 90. I stopped using them once I switched to Red Line/Amsoil products.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
http://realworldentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html

Fascinating blog article. While there I also found a prior blog entry the fellow wrote that led up to the one you referenced. And, it also corrected something I wasn't sure about... in my post you'll note that I guessed at the timeline of Syn-Trek's development having been maybe "mid-'70's" or later... but from your referenced article it seems that the product line's major marketing actually didn't occur 'til around 1981. Interestingly, the author (who was the marketing consultant behind Syn-Trek) later in the article says, "About four months into the growth of the company, I was in Kinston, NC...".
On retrospect, that chronology would indeed mesh closely with the general timing of my own dad's introduction to the line, as my parents lived in a town only about 30 mins. from Kinston at that time (about 1981).

Thanks for sharing that blog article reference.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I still have several cases of Syn-Trek products in my garage. I used them for a while in my pickup trucks in the early 90. I stopped using them once I switched to Red Line/Amsoil products.

Thanks for your comments. As I'd said, my father certainly felt they were worthwhile, based upon his experience with some of them. I remember that Dad said his mechanic - who was a highly regarded independent mechanic in that area - was genuinely impressed with them... and this wasn't a fellow who was normally "giddy" over some bunch of marketing hype. I personally remember him as being a low-keyed, conservative mechanic who took his business and reputation very seriously.

Were you a rep or dist. for the line, or simply an end user? And what were your experiences with the materials, if any stand out in particular?

I was just a consumer, bought the stuff from my neighbor. We both kind of went in together to save money, he was a distributor. I bracket raced quite a bit at that time and the oil was just fine. We went to Red Line for race and Amsoil for street when we got better jobs. I also like their Mileage Master fuel additive. That stuff really cleaned out the fuel system and gave us better mileage all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back