Anyone read/know Japanese ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't put this in google translate, as it's on a painting/scroll:

Anybody good in Japanese know what this says in this image?:

Thanks IA !

well...google translate didn't help ...snapped a pic with the translate app on my phone, didn't recognize any Japanese Text

Yep I tried that too - no go
frown.gif

I don't read, but this has no hiragana. Could be Chinese or Japanese. These brush poems are difficult due to artistic license.

Men i wish ,there is this banzai dude that race his s2000 in a twsted course .i dont understand and he crack me up lol.i figure if i could learn japanese i could understand what he is talking about .that dude is a race maniac

It is either Kanji Japanese (as in Chinese character) or it is just Chinese. They are the same language family at least in writing.

Since it is written with a brush I can only guess:

1. Bounce, ejecting, firing
2. Can't tell what it is by looking, never saw this character before
3. and, or the word representing the Japanese ethnic group
4. Pine, pointy leave tree
5. Sharp point, clever, brilliant, etc.

Since it is a painting with needle leaves and berries, I'd guess it is the title of the painting: berries and pine leaves, or something like that.

The way the 1st word is written makes me think it is actually Japanese Kanji. The writing style is also more Japanese than Chinese too.

Last edited:
Thanks PB. That helps a lot.
When I bought this the ITEM was titled "Japanese scroll - Pine Tree".
But I wasn't sure if the seller just described the ITEM in general or if he was translating the actual word on the scroll.
Seems like they would be the same....
Thanks again!

Here's the actual scroll hanging in our home:

I had a couple of my doujinshi -translating friends look at it, and they couldn't get much because it's calligraphy, which is much more difficult than regular handwritten/printed kanji. I'm going to ask one of my Japanese friends who is in the US when I see him in a week or two.

First kanji - Zen
2nd. - can't figure this one out
3rd. - Harmony
4th. - Pine
5th. - Mountain summit or the top of the mountain

It is hard to get the number of strokes since the brush doesn't make distinct marks. The kanji are archaic. Sort of like reading Chaucer in Old English. Old English looks like a foreign language to modern English speakers.

All to say other interpretations are welcome and could be better than above.

Thanks, guys!
That's a lot more than we knew before I posted here;
Wifey also says THANKS! to all who're contributing...

So It's prob'ly something like "...Berries and pine trees living in zen/harmony on a mountain top" ?
smile.gif

(At least it's not something offensive, just in case a Japanese person comes to visit - LOL!)

Last edited:
It is a very beautiful painting, the person who created it must have many years of training and practicing to have the kind of control and confidence to express that kind of power and detail in there.

My grandfather, an art teacher when he was alive, paint for fun, and his painting is nowhere close to this.

Do you have a photo of the signature on the lower left corner? We may be able to find out who is it and whether he is famous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

So It's prob'ly something like "...Berries and pine trees living in zen/harmony on a mountain top" ?
smile.gif

The meaning is what you make it.

For me - "Contemplate the (something) and pine trees in harmony on the mountaintop."

Or - "God manifest in nature."

Visitors from China or Japan will be soothed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back