Anyone Own a Jetta or Passat TDI 6MT?

Turbos can be a problem on those. Some info here:

In the US the last TDI 2.0 passat or jetta were 2015 models. I had a 2015 Passat TDI but with a dsg. It got phenomenal mpg for a spacious sedan. The personal goal with the passat for many owners was to get 900+ miles out of a tank of fuel. I accomplished this several times while putting over 62k miles on it in two years and 3 days of ownership.
The torque of the engine was great but with diesel now being consistently more than RUG, it was sometimes cheaper in 2015, the economic benefits are just not there especially considering higher maintenance costs for a diesel.

They are everywhere in Europe due to their awesome fuel economy, performance and are considered to be very reliable. There's loads with 300k+ on them about.

Any modern diesel labeled as "clean" is a maintenance headache. So many emissions systems that can go bad and require expensive repairs, otherwise the car goes into limp mode. The last good VW diesel was 2006 like my Jetta and evidenced by over 300,000 miles when I sold it and that it could get over 60 mpg.

184MPG.jpg

I owned a 2009 Jetta TDI w/6-speed manual that was ultimately bought back during the dieselgate scandal. The car was very nice but it was a ticking time bomb. The condensed water in the intercooler would freeze and block airflow to the engine, the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) was known to grenade and getting warranty coverage from VW was hit or miss. The 2009 model had a one-piece exhaust so when the diesel particulate filter became clogged you had to spend thousands on an entire exhaust rather than replace just the faulty part. This was corrected on 2010 models and up. The fuse panel that housed the headlamp circuitry had a manufacturing issue that caused the headlight and turn signals to stop working on one side. This was a service bulletin repair but never a recall for what ever reason. I simply can't recall all of the issues that car had but I still loved it.

I bought the 2009 TDI Jetta to replace my 1999 TDI Golf. The Golf always delivered far greater fuel economy than the Jetta but the refinement of the Jetta was light years ahead of the Golf. The engine in the Golf was a 1.9 liter rotary pump diesel, engine code ALH while the 2.0 liter common rail TDI engine code was CBEA. The CBEA was a fantastic engine that was released a bit too early and with too many discrepancies. I guess this is the result of being the first year guinea pig.

Would I buy one of the recalled TDI's that are being sold? YES! Would I specify the 6-speed manual over the DSG? No.

2015 was the last year for the 2.0 TDI in USA and it is the best year IMO. It's a more modern engine vs the '14 and older.

If you buy a 2.0 TDI a delete and tune is a must. Add a CP3 as well if a 14 or older.

IMO the 1.8t gasser is almost as fuel efficient and much more reliable. They also run 87 so you're saving there too.

Unfortunately there are now few applications where one of the VW diesels makes any sense. A Jetta 1.4 gasser will easily exceed 40 mpg highway with far fewer headaches and expenses maintenance wise.

Unfortunately there are now few applications where one of the VW diesels makes any sense. A Jetta 1.4 gasser will easily exceed 40 mpg highway with far fewer headaches and expenses maintenance wise.
Yeah I mean the only reason I bought a Touareg TDI is because

1. I always wanted a Touareg.
2. The VR6 is a dog lugging around 5000+ lbs.
3. The Hybrid has parts availability issues.

I only paid like $14k.

If I wanted a fuel efficient VW I would be looking for a MK7 Golf 1.8t.

We had a 2013 Passat TDI 6MT. I had to order it, as there weren't many manuals available with the options we wanted. It was a great car, but dieselgate happened and VW offered to buy back our Passat for what we paid for it, so we moved on. I'd definitely recommend! As @RooflessVW mentioned, 2015 is the best one to get. I've actually been looking myself, and there aren't many '15 manuals on the market (surprise!). Everything is stupid expensive right now, too.

I do find it odd how many people in the US consider the TDI's to be unreliable. Yet in Europe they're considered bombproof. What is it? Poor quality diesel?

I had a 2015 Passat Tdi 6 speed manual. One of the beat cars I've ever owner. I bought it sight unseen and had it transported to me in NC. It was $22,500 with shipping and it had 2,800 miles on it. I can't recall how much I got back from the dieselgate scandal, but it was a nice amount. VW even extended the warranty and that covered everything in the drivetrain regardless of what failed or why.

Jet black with black leatherette interior. We used to drive it from NC to Florida and 60 mpg was doable. I only sold it because it was the wife's daily driver and she did not like the manual tranny. I regret selling it now.

If you want a TDI, get one because you want a TDI. Not because you think it’s going to save any money. They aren’t economy cars.

A 2015 Jetta is rated at 35 mpg combined, probably a little low. 38 mpg is more realistic for a commute. 15,000 miles per year, $4.75 per gallon is $1,875 per year.

A 2015 Civic is rated at 33 mpg combined.
15,000 miles per year, $4.17 per gallon is $1,646 per year.

Then add in the extra maintenance and repairs for a TDI and the “savings” is a fantasy.

But if you want a diesel for the quirkiness, then do it.

Back