Anyone Own a BMW 5-Series Wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E34 or E39 6cyl is what you want. A v8 will be a maintenance nightmare by now. E39 has more electrical than E34. Cooling system maintenance is critical. 1 overheating can crack the head. About a $1500 repair. If that happens replace the timing chain guides too. Almost every known problem is documented online by now. Except the climate control actuators for fresh air. Those remain a mystery it seems. I've had BMWs for years. You need another car to fall back on or you will hate it and get rid of it.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
E34 or E39 6cyl is what you want. A v8 will be a maintenance nightmare by now. E39 has more electrical than E34. Cooling system maintenance is critical. 1 overheating can crack the head. About a $1500 repair. If that happens replace the timing chain guides too. Almost every known problem is documented online by now. Except the climate control actuators for fresh air. Those remain a mystery it seems. I've had BMWs for years. You need another car to fall back on or you will hate it and get rid of it.

I think E39 are getting long in the tooth. I was contemplating 330 xi E46 (I have to have AWD). Found really good 2003, some 90k, stick, but 17 years old, it is too much. If I owned it from beginning, yes.
Anyway, if one buys E39, overhauling cooling system (which I would definiately do) is around $1500-1700 for parts.
And yes, BMW: only inline 6 engine.

I still drive a 1998 328i 5 speed, E36. Got it with about 80k miles 10 years ago or so and had a run or 2 of bad luck but has been good for the past 2 years. The list of repairs is depressing but still fun to drive even compared to modern economy cars. The latest odd repair was a small oil leak that turned out to be the pressed in plug on the oil filter housing. Cleaned and put clear epoxy around it and has been good for past 5-6 months. At this age you will have many strange small repairs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
I still drive a 1998 328i 5 speed, E36. Got it with about 80k miles 10 years ago or so and had a run or 2 of bad luck but has been good for the past 2 years. The list of repairs is depressing but still fun to drive even compared to modern economy cars. The latest odd repair was a small oil leak that turned out to be the pressed in plug on the oil filter housing. Cleaned and put clear epoxy around it and has been good for past 5-6 months. At this age you will have many strange small repairs.

Yeah, I am not sure does he want to do that. I really wanted E46 with M54 But with two small kids I find less and less time to wrench on my own for hours. That is why I went with 2011 vehicle, regardless that it makes me cring that it does not have oil dipstick, but at least it is manual and inline 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back