Anyone own 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon? I'm about to buy one

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to buy a 2wd 2003 Tahoe LT. Does anyone here own or has owned a '00-'06 Tahoe or Yukon?

If so, please let me know your comments, stories (good/bad), and opinions. Thanks.

This one has 80,000 miles (40% highway/60% city), original owner drives it, and it has had routine oil changes and air/fuel filter changes. The truck has never been in an accident or abused or driven hard. The owner has never had a mechanical malfunction or breakdown.

The truck is loaded. It has everything except moonroof, navigation, and 4wd. The Tahoe also has a set of Michelin Cross Terrains less than a year old.

I can pick it up for $11k, plus the owner is having the windshield replaced with GM OEM glass before I buy it.

Your thoughts please.

Buy it. My in-laws purchased one new in '02. It has been perfect. Zero mechanical or electrical problems in 100k+ miles.

The only 'negative' thing I've noticed about it & every other Tahoe I've been in, is that the rear doors make a sqeaking sound when you close them. I don't know where the noise comes from.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
I am about to buy a 2wd 2003 Tahoe LT. Does anyone here own or has owned a '00-'06 Tahoe or Yukon?

If so, please let me know your comments, stories (good/bad), and opinions. Thanks.

This one has 80,000 miles (40% highway/60% city), original owner drives it, and it has had routine oil changes and air/fuel filter changes. The truck has never been in an accident or abused or driven hard. The owner has never had a mechanical malfunction or breakdown.

The truck is loaded. It has everything except moonroof, navigation, and 4wd. The Tahoe also has a set of Michelin Cross Terrains less than a year old.

I can pick it up for $11k, plus the owner is having the windshield replaced with GM OEM glass before I buy it.

Your thoughts please.

11K is a good price. You can use the money you saved to invest in a trailer to haul around for fuel for this gas guzzler. Depending on the engine in it, the 4.8 gets 13/18 and the 5.3 gets 13/16 in the 2wd version. Glad I don't own one of these when fuel hits 3.50-3.75.

Last edited:
Fix the knocking intermediate steering shaft, and the speedo/tach that goes crazy and you'll have a good vehicle. Be sure tranny and coolant have been serviced.

Good vehicle. Fair price. Enjoy it. Just ignore the miles per gallon comments.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just ignore the miles per gallon comments.

I am no tree hugger, but not thinking about miles per gallon has helped contribute to some of the mess we are in. Let's see if you are saying at at 5 bucks a gallon.

I have a 01 Yukon with 84,000 on it. Had very little trouble out of it. It gets 13mpg city and 17-19mpg highway. I use Wally World synthetic oil and filters. Change every 5,000 miles.

I would change Trans.-coolant-plugs before the 100,000 mark just so you know.

It is a 4wd Yukon.

40ford

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I am no tree hugger, but not thinking about miles per gallon has helped contribute to some of the mess we are in. Let's see if you are saying at at 5 bucks a gallon.

Hey dude, the poster didn't ask for your opinion on gas milage. He asked about the truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Hey dude, the poster didn't ask for your opinion on gas milage. He asked about the truck.

It really does not matter. The cost of gas is not in the demand for it. California has decreased it's consumption of gasoline for 3 years str8. All that has happend is the cost has increased.

A good friend has an '01 LT Autoride 4WD and loves it. I don't think he's ever had a major problem with it. His experience was a factor in my decision to buy a GMC Sierra, another GM vehicle which has been virtually perfect.

Mich Cross Terrains are the best tires for that truck. GM Vortec V8's like 10w-30 in our experience. Find out if brakes have ever been done, OE brakes last forever but they do need replacing eventually.

At that price I'd jump on it if it all checks out.

wavinwayne, I'll have to check about the rear door squeek.

Mr. Critical, whats the "knocking intermediate steering shaft"? What type of noise/vibration does it make?

Bretfraz, the brakes are original, but they dont make noise yet, and do not modulate, pulsate or fade. I was probably going to do a brake job very soon though b/c of the miles.

When I do buy the truck, I was going to start a new post on all the maint items I will start on.

More comments welcome.

My sister has an 03 chevy tahoe 4.8L LS bought new. she only had one problems under warranty and that was with the a/c. other than that, just routine maintenance. no complaints, trust me, I would have heard about it.

i have a 2000 4wd tahoe. i had to have the under dash sub harness replaced to get the dash to work properly. thank [censored] for the extended warranty. i would have cost me $1500 otherwise. it uses a quart of 10-30 every 3500 miles. other then that, its been pretty good for 80k miles.

we had a 99 tahoe and loved it. Traded for an 04 Tahoe and what a piece of [censored].
After 3 months the driver seat 'leather' was worn through. GM refused replacement=wear and tear- HA The windshield leaks into the radio, the steering shaft bushings need replacement. We only have 45K on the truck as it is. No engine / trans / diff problems though. For 11K you are getting a very good deal.

My wife and I drove one down to Texas to visit my relatives, and back. This was around December 2003. That is my only experience with this vehicle.

I don't remember what the gas mileage was, but I'm guessing around 17 mpg or so. It was less than 20. This may or may not be a factor for you, depending on how much you love buying gas.

It drove okay for a big SUV. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the brakes. They didn't seem robust enough to stop it the way I wanted and expected. It scared me a little bit. But maybe all SUVs are like this. I rarely drive one, so take that for what it is worth. My father in law has a GMC Pickup (I think a 2003), and the brakes are sufficient for that vehicle.

The intermediate steering shaft will sound like the front end is coming out from under you, a knocking when turning or hitting a bump that you can feel in the steering wheel.

For the other poster-I've never heard of worn seat trim not being covered while in warranty unless the customer was obviously scuffing it with a belt or something in their pockets.

Do you really need the heft of that vehicle? Are you really going to utilize the size, capacities, cargo volume, etc, etc?

You come from a state whose population primarly drives trucks, and these same folks almost NEVER utilize the capacities, space, etc of those vehicles. In other words, they are paying loads for gas in order to be "fashionable". A sure sign of the depravity of our American society, to be sure.

So maybe you are one of the few that will utilize such a vehicle, but if you're not, I would suggest you get something else that will be smaller, save $$ on gas, more dependable, and is considered by ConsumerReports to be a great buy.

Take the $$ saved and invest it into something that will grow.

Just my 2 cents..

Ive also been looking at a GMT800/900 series. Be sure to get a 2003+ because that has the Class 2 databus and if you ever want to upgrade your stereo, use OnStar in the future, etc.. 2003+ is the ticket.

Im personally looking for a 3/4 ton with a big block (I tow a 9500lb boat a few times a year). Been an interesting search- the ones I find either have super high miles, or are located in timbuktu and overpriced..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back