Anyone overfill the crankcase on purpose?

I'm about 500 miles away from servicing my wife's 2018 with a 2.0 Turbo GDI. I'm thinking about running a smart change box of Havoline Pro DS 5w30 for this OCI. The manual says the car holds 5.7 quarts while the box of oil has 6 quarts in it. It seems near impossible to get the oil perfectly filled to that amount so I'm thinking I'll just pour all 6 in it. I know it wouldn't normally hurt anything but with the direct injection causing fuel dilution I'm second guessing putting the oil up the stick to start with. Any thoughts?

won't be a problem at all, I don't know if id go much over an extra quart but .3 quarts will make no difference. I've never overfilled on purpose but I've added a bit extra to various engines in similar situations and never had a problem.

I round, too
smile.gif

4.8 qt gets 5, for example

Most overfilling people on here will do will be the same

I'd round up with anything .7 and above.

Heck, sometimes I'll throw an extra little pour into my Silverado...it uses oil between changes anyway. Saves me some time.

Put the whole box in. If you want to cover your bases get your engine nice and hot and then drain a little while longer than usual. Maybe an extra beer?

I'm not seeing a lot of downside here...
cool.gif

I've overfilled just about every car I own on purpose to some extent. I'll put .3-.5 extra in.

I'd just leave the extra oil out, put in a 1qt jug if my pint oiler can doesn't need topped off. I always have some use for oil so no need to waste extra then have to buy more to make up for that. That is unless the vehicle burns oil and I just wanted a little more margin.

Never.
This is good to know. I'd heard long ago overfilling was problematic but never knew how much over was considered overfill or if that was older info based on older cars and motor designs.
A quickie search showed most agreeing some overfill and up to a half a quart isn't something to worry about although I didn't see it recommended.

I've had only a few occasions where the stick was high on a fresh dealer o/c. I could estimate the level not being excessive or I might have considered bleeding some off.
One less thing to wonder or worry about anyways.

T Y

Last edited:
I have a kitchen cook's measuring cup that holds 32 ounces. My Kia holds 4.23, so I pour-in four quarts and another eight ounces from the measuring cup.
My Hyundai holds 5.1.....so in goes five quarts and this time I use a 3oz bar shooter shot glass, filled with fresh oil.

I try to give the engine closest to the exact amount the owners manual calls for. My extra oil comes from a five quart jug. All three of my vehicles use 5w30. I also use the extra jug for top-offs, late in the OCI.

I use the measuring cup for the push lawnmower oil changes. So I buy a 32oz quart of Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic and use 16oz every two years for the oil changes.
So that single quart jug is good for four years of lawnmower service.

I'll fill it right to the top mark of the dipstick. By the time everything drains down, it's probably ~0.1L overfilled. I'm fine with that.

Reactions: wlk
I'll add that I used to do my vehicle o/c myself quite a bit and it was simple and painless- even seemed worth the savings when oil and filter total were $12 to $15 and oci were the 3000 to 5000 range.
Now, it seems pointless to me in that I have dealer LOF I pre paid for on the Mazda and a good deal if you keep the car a few years..... the other one is a 5500 - 6000 mi oci I am comfortable with coming up once a year or at 11 months so far. I trust them, they stamp the book and my first o/c was with a coupon for 39.99 as prescribed full syn at VW. Our two cars combined miles annually is 12,000 - 14,000 so LOF costs might average $4 a month.

The one thing I always do is check the stick after the dealer service.

Originally Posted by bachman
I'll add that I used to do my vehicle o/c myself quite a bit and it was simple and painless- even seemed worth the savings when oil and filter total were $12 to $15 and oci were the 3000 to 5000 range.
Now, it seems pointless to me in that I have dealer LOF I pre paid for on the Mazda and a good deal if you keep the car a few years..... the other one is a 5500 - 6000 mi oci I am comfortable with coming up once a year or at 11 months so far. I trust them, they stamp the book and my first o/c was with a coupon for 39.99 as prescribed full syn at VW. Our two cars combined miles annually is 12,000 - 14,000 so LOF costs might average $4 a month.

The one thing I always do is check the stick after the dealer service.

LOL. Why do you check the oil if you trust them?

Changing you own oil isn't about the money. It's to makes sure it's done right, look over the vehicle, work on machines, etc.

Manual calls for 6.8, used to try to be exact, then I ended up with bunch of old quarts in my stash by forgetting that I had done the .8 lol. So I have been putting 7 in for about 3 years and have had no issues. But that is just anecdotal evidence, no science.

I don't understand this...forgive me, I am not much on mechanics of vehicles. Is there a lot of "extra" room in the crankcase of all vehicles for this to be possible/okay? If so, then why don't manufacturers manuals just say the amount, but also say give or take a quart? How much more is okay? How much more is not okay?

If it is okay, then I am I safe putting 9 quarts in my Tundra when it calls for 8.5 quarts? What about my wife's car that calls for 4 quarts? Can I put in 5 quarts since jugs are 5 quarts?

I've bought used cars on occasion from dealers and it's not rare to find overfills of a quart. Sometimes clean oil and sometimes dirty. It's displays sloppy or uncaring service.

Back