Anyone notice a saturation in Engineering / design roles in manufacturing?

Has anyone in HR or in manufacturing noticed an influx in designers / engineers?
I've been out of the industry for 5 years, and returning to it after a retooling and some time away.

I'm honestly considering a move to a trade, with the opportunity to work with into my family Plumbing business.

I'm seeing a TON of younger applicants, very little in the way of listings for positions.
I do wonder if this is the result of what we're seeing in the younger generation (new grads) towards Engineering / Tech and computer based roles.

I've been Plumbing off and on with my uncle since I was a teen......I have a design contract lined up, but I'm wondering if its the right move. There isnt much to stand on after it's up if it doesn't go permanent.

Hobbies with hands on experience is always valuable as a design/manufacturing engineer. As a retired engineer/manager, the best engineers were those who could use the their hands, tools, explain how and why things work and were comfortable on the manufacturing/assembly floor. As an engineer, value everyone and their opinions on the challenges in their job. Learn from others experiences

As someone who is the very end of the Millennial generation, all we ever heard in school was “go to college! You have to go to college!” and in high school it was even worse, especially because I had absolutely zero desire to go to college. They put these “office” jobs on a pedestal while putting down anyone who didn’t have a degree, it drives my mother in law up the wall that all I have is a high school diploma. I still get the occasional “you could have done so much more! Why don’t you go back and finish your apprenticeship? You’ll at least get a certificate!” comment from her 🙄

I’m quite happy as a machinist, I get to make cool things all day.

I'm in the industry as a technician. I haven't observed an increase of Engineers in the area, but there is an increase in the amount of technicians with associates degree's coming out of the schools.
Employers are fighting for engineers and graduate employees right out of school. The salaries are all in the same general pool with the graduate degrees on the upper end of the spectrum. Plenty of open positions in any engineering discipline, with the larger companies having the most openings.
Engineering Technology degree graduates have tripled since my class in 2009. There were nine people in my mechanical engineering program and the same or similar populations in every other technology disciplines. Keeping in touch will my professors, the population of students in each program have been increased by five times, and about 75% actually complete the program.
As far as job openings for the associates degree degree technologists in my area, most of the openings in my area are geared toward fresh graduates, and they are paying in average low starting salaries. The lower starting salary in these openings discourage experienced applicants for the positions, who are receiving double that salary in their current employment. There are some good job openings out there for experienced techs with really good pay, but as soon as their posted, the population of applicants is insane. I know one highly desirable position that only really consider the first 15 applicants.

So it seems to me that graduate and engineer populations coming out of school seem to be the same as the last 5 years. Engineering associate degree program graduates have become 5 times higher than about ten years ago.

I'm in the industry as a technician. I haven't observed an increase of Engineers in the area, but there is an increase in the amount of technicians with associates degree's coming out of the schools.
Employers are fighting for engineers and graduate employees right out of school. The salaries are all in the same general pool with the graduate degrees on the upper end of the spectrum. Plenty of open positions in any engineering discipline, with the larger companies having the most openings.
Engineering Technology degree graduates have tripled since my class in 2009. There were nine people in my mechanical engineering program and the same or similar populations in every other technology disciplines. Keeping in touch will my professors, the population of students in each program have been increased by five times, and about 75% actually complete the program.
As far as job openings for the associates degree degree technologists in my area, most of the openings in my area are geared toward fresh graduates, and they are paying in average low starting salaries. The lower starting salary in these openings discourage experienced applicants for the positions, who are receiving double that salary in their current employment. There are some good job openings out there for experienced techs with really good pay, but as soon as their posted, the population of applicants is insane. I know one highly desirable position that only really consider the first 15 applicants.

So it seems to me that graduate and engineer populations coming out of school seem to be the same as the last 5 years. Engineering associate degree program graduates have become 5 times higher than about ten years ago.
Thanks HankHill, I'm a Technologist as well, and I'm seeing a higher demand for Engineers. Interesting!

Hobbies with hands on experience is always valuable as a design/manufacturing engineer. As a retired engineer/manager, the best engineers were those who could use the their hands, tools, explain how and why things work and were comfortable on the manufacturing/assembly floor. As an engineer, value everyone and their opinions on the challenges in their job. Learn from others experiences
This is so true it should be written in gold. You can pick out the engineers who've never done hands on work right away, and their work usually reflects it. Those who used their hands always come up with more creative and better solutions for problems they face.

Hobbies with hands on experience is always valuable as a design/manufacturing engineer. As a retired engineer/manager, the best engineers were those who could use the their hands, tools, explain how and why things work and wemre comfortable on the manufacturing/assembly floor. As an engineer, value everyone and their opinions on the challenges in their job. Learn from others experiences
Thanks Bugeye, I like that attitude. I have an Automotive major (shocking!) and have always had my hands in things, personal projects etc.... Its helped!

This is so true it should be written in gold. You can pick out the engineers who've never done hands on work right away, and their work usually reflects it. Those who used their hands always come up with more creative and better solutions for problems they face.
Absolutely. A good friend of mine is an exceptional design engineer. One of the very best I've met. He designs and fabricates his own brand of road cycles.....absolutely beautiful work.

As someone who is the very end of the Millennial generation, all we ever heard in school was “go to college! You have to go to college!” and in high school it was even worse, especially because I had absolutely zero desire to go to college. They put these “office” jobs on a pedestal while putting down anyone who didn’t have a degree, it drives my mother in law up the wall that all I have is a high school diploma. I still get the occasional “you could have done so much more! Why don’t you go back and finish your apprenticeship? You’ll at least get a certificate!” comment from her 🙄

I’m quite happy as a machinist, I get to make cool things all day.

Preach brother, as a fellow elder Millennial I've got the exact same sentiments and realized a long time ago that going to college would have been a waste of time and would have forced me into debt slavery perhaps indefinitely.

I've landed into a really nice position at a company that does commercial and residential remodeling and repair and as far as the subject topic of this thread I do wonder how much the current trend is in the manufacturing industry, as far as engineering and design are concerned, has to do with producing product as quickly and cheaply as possible?

Yesterday morning my team had a meeting in which we discussed the fact that we've been advised by multiple products suppliers that we work with for construction regarding the fact that many simply cannot produce product to meet demand. There's this internal story with one of our partner companies about the fact that three entire truckloads of windows were shipped without glass inside of them, what to do? Asphalt shingles for roofing, for example, are being mass produced to the point to where the quality has severely diminished and many producers are reevaluating the extent to which they're going to offer warranty coverage now. IMO many companies are just putting out garbage products just because the public is willing to accept them just to be able to have something. My analogy is that you're someone who really really wants the highest quality steak but you end up receiving a cheap hamburger from the dollar menu and that's what you have to accept because that's just the way it is.

BTW Rhill, the plumbers in my area make a very good living if they are any good. Union positions at my job make three figures after they get some experience under their hat. The plumbers around here that work for themselves make a killing if they have a good reputation. I've been told that they can make a serious salaries that way, as long as they can manage their workload efficiently.
I sometimes regret not starting in the trades when I was 18..

Has anyone in HR or in manufacturing noticed an influx in designers / engineers?
I've been out of the industry for 5 years, and returning to it after a retooling and some time away.

I'm honestly considering a move to a trade, with the opportunity to work with into my family Plumbing business.

I'm seeing a TON of younger applicants, very little in the way of listings for positions.
I do wonder if this is the result of what we're seeing in the younger generation (new grads) towards Engineering / Tech and computer based roles.

I've been Plumbing off and on with my uncle since I was a teen......I have a design contract lined up, but I'm wondering if its the right move. There isnt much to stand on after it's up if it doesn't go permanent.
If you want to have shot knees and or back by your 40's go ahead and become a plumber. Otherwise look at becoming an electrician.

If you want to have shot knees and or back by your 40's go ahead and become a plumber. Otherwise look at becoming an electrician.
That's why I don't kick myself in the ass, I've done residential building and helped with the plumbing and electric installs. Plumbers usually had the worst physically demanding tasks..

I'm not sure for the design side but for there's been a good increase in state/federal/utility projects if you wanted to jump ship to the civil engineering side. It feels like we're always short on engineers.

From what I have seen so far in the current market, is that engineers and designers are in just as short of supply as any other position out there. Even more rare is an engineer/designer who has touched a wrench, screwdriver, or spanner in their life. One of my first three interview questions I go down is "What do you drive and why?", and "What have you done to make it better?" Most common response is "My parents gave it to me", and "I take it to the shop for on-time service". Ugh....

Times are changing. I'm a millennial and heard the same thing "go to college or you will get nowhere in life" and my high school even had a vocational agriculture program... one that most of the school didn't even know about. Trades were looked down on and for people who couldn't get decent grades. Being in the Vo-Ag program I was able to learn leadership skills through the FFA Organization as an officer for my school's program, travel and compete in events with other schools, and learn mechanical, gardening, and other skills. Most of the students thought we were just "farm kids".

I work in IT and feel fortunate that I have a good job, and was able to graduate college with no debt, but I'm also not the average college grad in that I commuted to school to save money, have never had a car payment (owned older cars), and worked full-time in addition to going to school. Not everyone is able to do that. In fact if I went back to the same college today and did the same thing I would definitely have debt due to the rising costs.

Not to mention that most people applying for entry level jobs at a company have student debt (which is basically required to get your degree) and a car payment, yet the base salaries offered barely cover these things. Hard to qualify to rent an apartment (especially around here) on $30k a year with a car payment and a mountain of student loans. One of my contacts at a tech company we do business with was telling me about how all these new grads think they know everything and want to start out making crazy money. Well, that's because the school they just came from has been telling them that will be the case when they graduate for the duration of their entire education.

Meanwhile local companies are offering $60k jobs to tech high school grads right out of school, and don't have enough applicants to fill their positions.

To the OP. If you are in decent physical shape I would bet the Plumbing business will serve you much better over the course of your working career. Good trades people are in demand and can make over $200k. If you end up owning the business it will come down to your management and people skills. The Corporate world is very unpredictable and unstable these days. It likely will be like that for decades. However if that is not your personality or you have some physical concerns pursue the design job, but keep up with your software skills. You may have to jump around from job to job for a while since you have been out of it for 5 years. But if you are good at it you will ulimately land a permanent position. I do not mean permanent for the rest of your career. Just full time with benefits. You will likely change jobs every 5 yrs on average. A lot comes down to what you are wired for in your brain and personality. Some people would go nuts sitting behind a computer 6 to 8 hrs a day. Other love it. Good Luck.

I wish car companies would require their designers and engineers to do a 5 year apprenticeship in a flat rate dealership
Yes but it is not a priority at all. They do not want it easy to fix cars any longer. They want it complicated so you have to take it to the dealer. Also they want it expensive so you can justify getting rid of it and buy a new one. And, to scare you into buying repair insurance or an extended warranty. The next big financial services business. That seems to be the direction of the business model. It is not in consumers or owners best interest. How often have you heard that the dealers make more money on the financing and extended warranty of the car than the actual sale. Car companies answer to their board of directors and shareholders. Customers have become marks. Not respected partners.

When you design industrial machinery the customers spec should have maintenance requirements. If they know what they are doing. Then the designers are contractually required to design in ease of maintenance, as best they can. A huge distinction between a consumer good and a piece of capitol equipment.

That is why I liked designing machines and tooling for manufacturing. I don't think I could have designed consumer products. I would not have lasted long.

Last edited:
The OP has a point. The claims about mass shortages of STEM personnel have been grossly overblown, with a few exceptions in certain specialties. Supposedly most engineers are out of the field and in management or finance after 10 years. A CEO once famously claimed the half-life of an engineer after graduation was only about 5 years—meaning half leave the field every 5 years.

Shortages of STEM personnel depend on your perspective. Plenty of companies out there who want qualified people but don't want to pay them. It's easier when you have plenty of contractors willing to do the work for cheaper, which is the case across many fields.

My question to the OP is what do YOU want to do more? My uncle is an engineer at a fairly well known aircraft engine company locally. He is very stressed all the time, and it probably isn't his ideal job. Life is short.

Back