Anyone near end of car lease? Could make some money by flipping it.

Personally, I never understood why people would lease a car unless the lease is a business expense and can be written off.
Simple. They consider piece of mind having a warranty on a car you actually enjoy driving vs owning something which drives like a toaster but is uber reliable.

People doing a lease buyout and then flipping it could make some serious $$.

But your next lease is probably going to be expensive. But the people doing the lease calculation may (but doubtful) figure things will settle down in 3 years and new & used car prices will not be crazy high.
Values are dropping from this past fall. We've lost 30%.

Update: Just got home from selling the leased C300 to the dealer. Deal was fair and netted around $9k.

Gonna take the1-car household for a spin over the next couple of months.

Last edited:
remember, just because you sell at profit doesn’t mean the next car you get is going to be at normal rate.

I can sell my Tacoma and get what I paid for it 2 years ago. But it also cost more to replace it, so I’m not gaining anything other than a new car smell.

My mother in law's lease on her 2019 Jetta is up in a few months. She was unsure if she wanted to lease something else or buy off the 2019. I recently spoke with her, and told her she won't find anything similar for the price of the lease buyout. I think she knows what she wants to do now.
Yeah definitely buy, even if she doesn't decide to keep it she'd be leaving money on the table.

Personally, I never understood why people would lease a car unless the lease is a business expense and can be written off.
Because you can drive a new car under warranty with little cash outlay. I realize the "beater club" fails to understand this simple concept.

Back