Anyone missing a 747 or three?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case you forgot where you left them.
laugh.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/aviation/malaysia-aviation-airport-abandoned-aircraft/index.html

They've been sitting over a year. I'm pretty sure I heard that planes lose their flightworthiness pretty fast if they don't get flown. Kinda like how it's real hard on cars to let them sit.

Maybe BITOG's resident team of aircraft mechanics can confirm this?

747-200 are very old aircraft with little value due to the flight hours, too expensive to fly these 747 .

Maybe all that metal melted down and recycled.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
747-200 are very old aircraft with little value due to the flight hours, too expensive to fly these 747 .

I think the 70's is when the 747-200 hit.

I really want a 747 for some strange reason. A restored Heuy is also on the list.

Exactly, the owners don't want them, they're now future beer cans

These aircraft have been on the ground at KUL for about five years and at least one of them has been parted.
It would take a lot more than 150K in fuel to fly one out of there.
These 747s will sadly never fly again, but they did lead long and productive lives prior to their abandonment.
If anyone wants an airworthy 747, there are examples being flown to the desert every week, retired from the fleets of reputable airlines with full maintenance records.
This type is leaving active passenger fleets rapidly, although the few 747-8I aircraft delivered will likely be active to 2030 or so and many old 747 freighters will still fly after that, along with the handful of 747-8F aircraft delivered. There won't be many more, since Boeing won't be able to keep the line open at ever lower delivery rates.
The passing of the 747 from widespread service is the passing of a long era of commercial flight.
Some examples of the type might even remain active long enough to reach seventy years of the type in service.
Your grandkids children might see an occasional 747F taking off here and there.

These old 747 will end up like the DC-10, L-1011, 727..... cut up and anything of value recycled.

I wish the 747-8 was a success, but there was little interest in it. Government needs to buy a few before the line is closed permanently.

I worked on the 747 floors for about 14 months back in 1999 I hated it. Though it was cool to work on an iconic aircraft, and to see the factory etc. I remember when my dad wanted us kids in the family to fly in one in 1971. Our family was living in Hawaii, and my dad wanted us to fly to Seattle and see relatives. Then drive down the coast to go to Disneyland, Knotsberry Farm etc.

Good thing Boeing did not go tit for tat on another big jet to compete with the A380. I hear it's kind of getting iffy on the program being profitable. I have not seen an A380 up close. I know it is massive, but it is very ugly. The 747 just looks cool. It must be the bulgy part of the fuselage that gives it that cool look.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/27/travel/airbus-a380-10-year-anniversary/

Last edited:
What was so bad about working at Boeing ?

I've seen the A380 on final approach to MIA when I was headed to the Keys, the plane is very big. Even from 2 miles away, I was amazed at the size of it.

Older large aircraft are sometimes relegated to cargo duty. I've visited a facility in Oscoda, Michigan that runs such a business.

These old 747 will end up like the DC-10, L-1011, 727..... cut up and anything of value recycled.

I wish the 747-8 was a success, but there was little interest in it. Government needs to buy a few before the line is closed permanently.

There remain a number of DC-10s and 727s flying, mainly as freighters. There are no more DC-10 pax aircraft active.
I don't think there are any active Tristars.
747-400s will remain in passenger service unil the early 2020s and the freight conversions will be around for many years after that.
Most of the 744s currently being retired are high time aircraft that have earned their keep and owe their operators nothing.
The few 747-8i deliveries will be flying passengers until at least the mid 2030s.
Too bad that the prospects for any future sales of this aircraft are so bleak.
The newly launched 777 derivatives are Boeing's acknowledgement that the -8i is a goner.
You can hardly call the 747-8 a success since so few have found operators willing to take them.
The MD-11 sold about as well and is generally considered a failure and the MD-11 deliveries were mainly passenger aircraft.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The MD-11 sold about as well and is generally considered a failure and the MD-11 deliveries were mainly passenger aircraft.

I've always wondered if the MD-11 was really a handful as some pilots said it was. I always got a chuckle watching them land with all that nose up trim...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back