Anyone looking to get the new 2015 GTI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I think there are better cars to buy if you're trying to show people your tail-lights.

I don't think you need to promote the DSG by denigrating the standard clutch. I know I would have enjoyed a DSG all the same, but I chose the standard because at the time I was concerned with long term durability of said gearbox. From a performance standpoint I do like a well sorted auto gearbox, but there is something theraputic about rowing your own, even at a pedestrian pace. Also, as far as standard shift boxes go, the one in the GTI is quite good; nice feel through the pedal, the shifter throw is on the longish side but it's accurate and direct.

it all depends on how you look at your car? I am a performance guy and sorry OP for getting off point but its relevant to the GTI.

The DSG from a performance perspective is King in the GTI.

If you ever want to mod your GTI the DSG holds more power than the 6spd standard.

Reliability? Has been very good on the DSG's. The Mechatronics system is very reliable and the issues that they did have are nearly gone by now.

Dont get me wrong, I drove standards for 25 yrs and raced said tranny's with my Evo's of past. From a pure performance perspective and day to day useage, the DSG is king. It will beat many cars off the line due to the gearing of the DSG and how the Engine TQ and Gear ratios are set. They work hand and hand. Off the line it seems much quicker than numbers reflect.

6spds have their place, In my Evo's I prefered them, they suited that particular car, but in the GTI the DSG suits it.

I get just as involved with the DSG, its all what you choose. I have a launch control program the 6spd doesnt. I can put it in manual mode and hold gears to redline, and then get Rev Matched down shifts, on a standard? Only the best of drivers can down shift and rev match correctly.

I have tons of fun with my DSG. Took it to Chuckawalla Raceway not too long ago for fun as a fluke and was very impressed.

Yes its subjective, but to a performance guy like me? The quicker car is the one to have. Did I mention it also gets better mileage???

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Enjoy looking at my tail lights if you buy the 6spd haha and Enjoy your 6spd "driving" experience as you lose every performance category haha

I'm sorry, but you sound like a 12-year-old, which I know you're not.

I'm not about racing and who comes in first. Leave that for the track and a dedicated track rat. All I care is about the fun of it. As they say, it's about the journey, not destination.

Interesting QP typical of you. haha

It is what it is.

Performance guys are performance guys. You are not. Enough Said. Has nothing to do with age or how you drive. Some guys are performance guys, some are not. That simple.

I always argue with you. ALWAYS. haha.

Jeff

Last edited:
Yes its subjective, but to a performance guy like me? The quicker car is the one to have.
Jeff

Then why did you buy a GTI?

You're splitting hairs, the difference isn't that big. .1 seconds to 60 mph isn't worth doing the "I'm better than you" forum dance.

For very close to the same amount of money you could have bought a Mustang GT, which is more than .1 seconds faster to 60 than your GTI.

Again, the GTI is a great machine, but if you're all about speed it's not the right choice.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Yes its subjective, but to a performance guy like me? The quicker car is the one to have.
Jeff

You're splitting hairs, the difference isn't that big. .1 seconds to 60 mph isn't worth doing the "I'm better than you" forum dance.

For very close to the same amount of money you could have bought a Mustang GT, which is more than .1 seconds faster to 60 than your GTI.

Again, the GTI is a great machine, but if you're all about speed it's not the right choice.

Well said on all points, IMO.

Jeff

crackmeup2.gif
cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I bought my Mazdaspeed 3 mainly because I wanted to try something different from my usual diet of RWD Bavarian iron AND I wanted some extensive seat time in a hot hatch in order to give me a better frame of reference for instructing students with FWD cars. The fact that it was the most bonkers car in its class sealed the deal. Seven years later my modest modifications have made it into one of my all-time favorite daily drivers.

Having said all that, as nice as the GTI is, I doubt I'll buy another FWD car again; just personal preference.

it all depends on how you look at your car?

Reliability? Has been very good on the DSG's. The Mechatronics system is very reliable and the issues that they did have are nearly gone by now.

Dont get me wrong, I drove standards for 25 yrs and raced said tranny's with my Evo's of past. From a pure performance perspective and day to day useage, the DSG is king. It will beat many cars off the line due to the gearing of the DSG and how the Engine TQ and Gear ratios are set. They work hand and hand. Off the line it seems much quicker than numbers reflect.

6spds have their place, In my Evo's I prefered them, they suited that particular car, but in the GTI the DSG suits it.
Jeff

My buddy's 2012 TDI's DSG just failed at 33k and had it replaced under warranty. I think VW's DSG is a really fun tranny but I still wouldn't call them too reliable. But then again, thats what a warranty is there for right?

And to me the whole "hot hatch" market is good for someone who can really only have one car and still wants to have something that's fun as a daily driver. I'm not going to lie to myself; If I could own multiple cars, a GTI, ST, or Mazdaspeed3 wouldn't be my performance vehicle. But maybe that's just my way of thinking.

And a manual trans for me just adds a bit more to the enjoyment of your drive, even if it's a somewhat boring daily commute to work. Like said a few posts up, if performance by numbers is what you're looking for a 30k Mustang GT wins that spot. Not much touches that in performance for a brand new vehicle. Me and my girlfriend were able to get a base GT for 27k out the door. It was very, tempting. But since this would be her only car we felt the ST was more enjoyable to drive everyday.

Jeff

Your not getting my point. When I raced I would spend big money to make my car a tenth of a second quicker.

By you saying this your not a performance guy. Why did I not buy a Mustang? Versatility is why. I know the GTI is no Ferrari but if you don't get the whole GTI mantra then your not a performance guy.

You have car people and then there is CAR people. You would probably buy a V6 Mustang while I would buy the BOSS 302 or the Leguna Secca model why? Because I'm a performance guy. Ha ha.

The whole hot hatch thing all started with the GTI like I said you don't get that? That A tenth here a quicker corner here means anything?

Anyway that's just me sorry for the debate.

Sorry to the OP for being WWWAAAYYY off point but I have to defend car enthusiasts like myself and what being one means.

The guys giving me
thumbsup2.gif
Know what I'm talking about the others are like
33.gif

Oh well I tried.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jigen
it all depends on how you look at your car?

Jeff

My buddy's 2012 TDI's DSG just failed at 33k and had it replaced under warranty. I think VW's DSG is a really fun tranny but I still wouldn't call them too reliable. But then again, thats what a warranty is there for right?

And to me the whole "hot hatch" market is good for someone who can really only have one car and still wants to have something that's fun as a daily driver. I'm not going to lie to myself; If I could own multiple cars, a GTI, ST, or Mazdaspeed3 wouldn't be my performance vehicle. But maybe that's just my way of thinking.

And a manual trans for me just adds a bit more to the enjoyment of your drive, even if it's a somewhat boring daily commute to work. Like said a few posts up, if performance by numbers is what you're looking for a 30k Mustang GT wins that spot. Not much touches that in performance for a brand new vehicle. Me and my girlfriend were able to get a base GT for 27k out the door. It was very, tempting. But since this would be her only car we felt the ST was more enjoyable to drive everyday.

Sure DSGs do fail they are not perfect. But so do the clutches on the standard. All I know is I know more folks that are putting out crazy power in their GTIs and they are all DSGs wonder why that is? Mmmmmm

You can have any car have a failure. But the whole "I have a friend thing" is subjective because all makes have an issue here and there.

It is what it is.

Jeff

Last edited:

Your not getting my point. When I raced I would spend big money to make my car a tenth of a second quicker.

By you saying this your not a performance guy. Why did I not buy a Mustang? Versatility is why. I know the GTI is no Ferrari but if you don't get the whole GTI mantra then your not a performance guy.

You have car people and then there is CAR people. You would probably buy a V6 Mustang while I would buy the BOSS 302 or the Leguna Secca model why? Because I'm a performance guy. Ha ha.

The whole hot hatch thing all started with the GTI like I said you don't get that? That A tenth here a quicker corner here means anything?

Sorry to the OP for being WWWAAAYYY off point but I have to defend car enthusiasts like myself and what being one means.

The guys giving me
thumbsup2.gif
33.gif

Oh well I tried.

Jeff

Versatility huh?

I guess you're not the "performance guy" you claim to be. Because if you were all about the performance you'd have bought the fastest car you could afford, as you've said. But you chose the slower car, for intangible reasons that can't be measured with a stopwatch, like the intangible reasons some may choose to go for a standard shift car over a DSG.

How's it feel to be a versatility guy?

I can understand the "performance" side of the argument here. If you have to get an eminently practical car for whatever reason, but you just can't shake your need for the best possible acceleration times no matter what you're driving, a GTI with DSG makes sense.

I happen to think that's a stupid set of priorities, but I'm definitely biased on that point.

That said, I still feel like I can't endorse a word that Jeff is saying in this thread.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I can understand the "performance" side of the argument here. If you have to get an eminently practical car for whatever reason, but you just can't shake your need for the best possible acceleration times no matter what you're driving, a GTI with DSG makes sense.

I happen to think that's a stupid set of priorities, but I'm definitely biased on that point.

That said, I still feel like I can't endorse a word that Jeff is saying in this thread.

It's a weird conversation. I think the DSG is a pretty amazing piece of hardware, I also happen to feel that my GTI is the best car I've ever personally owned.

I just can't get on board the "you chose differently than I did so u r dumb" attitude he's expressing.

The guys giving me
thumbsup2.gif
33.gif

Oh well I tried.

Jeff

Versatility huh?

I guess you're not the "performance guy" you claim to be. Because if you were all about the performance you'd have bought the fastest car you could afford, as you've said. But you chose the slower car, for intangible reasons that can't be measured with a stopwatch, like the intangible reasons some may choose to go for a standard shift car over a DSG.

How's it feel to be a versatility guy?

I don't see your point? I do see VW point of versatility in a performance package hence the whole being of the GTI. You don't know the history of the GTI maybe if you did you would understand my point better.

No reason to get upset over my pinion vs yours that is what forums are.

What do you consider a performance car? Would my 2006 Lancer Evo 9 MR which is a 4 door practical car in most terms but was a 420whp track machine. Is that performance? Or a versatile 4 door saloon?

Sure I know the GTI is no Ferrari not do I expect it to be but the car has performance roots just like the Miata like the WRX just like the Mazdaspeed if you don't like "performance" fair included then just buy a regular Golf.

Anyway I guess my point is being taken the wrong way or something. But I did buy the GTI for its performance and versatility. Just like I would take a V8 Mustang over a V6 Stang. Not that I put these cars in the same category but they do share a common thread. A fun factor.

I guess some folks view of what is fun is different than mine.

It is what it is.

Jeff

Last edited:
I ended up getting my GTI in DSG for two reasons:

1) Better MPG
2) Holds more power for modding

Back on topic, the new engine in the GTI is really impressive. Seems like they really detuned it though considering how much power can be made with just an ecu tune.

What do you consider a performance car? Would my 2006 Lancer Evo 9 MR which is a 4 door practical car in most terms but was a 420whp track machine. Is that performance? Or a versatile 4 door saloon?

An econobox with a lot of power and several ingenious tricks to wring performance out of a platform that wasn't originally designed to deliver it.

Sure I know the GTI is no Ferrari not do I expect it to be but the car has performance roots just like the Miata like the WRX just like the Mazdaspeed if you don't like "performance" fair included then just buy a regular Golf.

Those are three very different kinds of performance "roots."

Of the three, only the Miata is built like a proper sports car. The others are partially re-engineered economy cars, the main difference being that the WRX is starting from a better place than the Mazdaspeed 3 is.

In this vein, the GTI is most comparable to the Mazdaspeed 3.

Sounds like your definition of "performance" boils down to numbers. Fair enough. That's probably a great definition as it allows you to derive satisfaction out of just about any platform that has a lot of power and can turn a fast lap.

To me (and apparently a few others in this thread), it's a lot more complicated than that, and I'm pretty sure we all suffer for it. It's a lot harder to find a legit chassis than it is to find good lap times.

Originally Posted By: adolan21
Back on topic, the new engine in the GTI is really impressive. Seems like they really detuned it though considering how much power can be made with just an ecu tune.

Most factory turbo cars are detuned. They open up the wastegate really early so that the torque curve stays flat instead of peaking and falling. This obviously sacrifices peak torque.

Aftermarket tunes undo that sacrifice. The new torque curve may be uneven (especially on an otherwise stock car), but still higher than stock at most RPMs.

Having owned a WRX I'm not sure if it's starting from a better place than an MS3 or GTI. Mine had a lot of weaknesses that one would associate with a performance model that shares a chassis with a more mundane model.

Sport compacts such as these are certainly performance vehicles, they simply offer a different experience than you would find in a Miata or RX-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back