Anyone knows who makes the Toyota Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been asked before(I don't think I use the search correctly :).

Anyways, I can get the Toyota filter from a local dealer for 3.99/each or a Wix filter for 4.77/each. I know the Wix is good quality, but who makes the Toyota filter, it seems like a good deal.

One other question, which of the two would you choose if it was your car?

Thanks in advance.

The Toyota oil filters are made by Denso. They are made in Thailand and in the U.S. depending on different part #s. There used to be the ones made in Japan, but they are not no longer available in the U.S. unless you can special order them from a few dealers that charge you close to $15 per filter. It's a factory filter that is put on toyota vehicles that are made in japan. I would never pay that much money for a filter. The denso oil filters made in Thailand are pre lubed and has a clear plastic cover on them. I usually get oil specials like 5qrt synthetic with Mobil1 oil filter for $25 to $30 from AAP or Autozone so I do not use denso. If you change your oil regularly, it should not matter between denso and wix.

Yup, denso makes them. I bought a case of them for something like $35 shipped from Toyota of Dallas, but actually the Wix/Napa Gold filters are better in my opinion because of the silicon drainback valve -- confidence for longer drains... Check the Fleetfilter.com website. They have comparable prices to the oem filters. Once I use my oems up, its nothing but Napa Gold or Bosch (similar construction) for me unless they end up changing the design.

Thanks for the replies.

I will be doing 7500 mile OCI's in this car, so for 4.77, I think I'll go with the Wix filter.

BTW, I priced some stuff from Toyota; plugs, filters, etc. and they were 60.00 more than Rockauto for Wix products/NGK plugs. Toyota wants 16.52/plug???? 7.50 or so at Rockauto.

I'm using the Toyota oil filter p/n 90915-YZZD3 on my 05 Tacoma. This is the "longer version" of the filter and seems to be built rather well. Yes, it is made by Denso, and this one is made in Thailand. I haven't had a chance to cut a used one open yet ... so if anyone has, please post up the pixs.

The Toyota dealer was using a 90915-YZZG1 made in USA filter on my 05 Tacoma. I picked up a Purolator at AAP that was also made in USA and looked identical except for the paint color. I read somewhere on this forum that some were made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: wayne50
The Toyota dealer was using a 90915-YZZG1 made in USA filter on my 05 Tacoma.

Is that for the 4.0L V6? How does that filter differ from the Toyota p/n 90915-YZZD3 which is what I'm using on my 05 Tacoma? I didn't even know there was another p/n that would work on the Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Is that for the 4.0L V6? How does that filter differ from the Toyota p/n 90915-YZZD3 which is what I'm using on my 05 Tacoma? I didn't even know there was another p/n that would work on the Tacoma.

The filter application chart shows the YZZG1 as the equivalent/replacement for the YZZD3. Interesting, I've never seen a YZZG1. PDF link is here:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pub-share/pdf/appchart_oil_filters.pdf

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

The filter application chart shows the YZZG1 as the equivalent/replacement for the YZZD3. Interesting, I've never seen a YZZG1. PDF link is here:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pub-share/pdf/appchart_oil_filters.pdf

When I look at that Toyota oil filter application chart, is says these are equivalent:

90915-YZZG1, 08922-02011, 90915-YZZD1, 90915-YZZD1-DS

I don't see where is says that "The filter application chart shows the YZZG1 as the equivalent/replacement for the YZZD3" that I can tell.

Note that for the 05+ Tacoma:
2005-08 V6 (1GRFE) 90915-YZZD3
2005-08 4 Cyl. (2TRFE) 90915-YZZG1

One is for the 4-banger and the other for the V6. Not sure if the YZZG1 is a shorter version of the YZZD3 or not (?).

No, mine is the 4 cylinder.

Do you know if the 90915-YZZG1 is shorter than the 90915-YZZD3? I'd estiamte the YZZD3 is at least 3.5 inches long ... maybe 4 inches.

YZZG1 is the same size as YZZD1.
The former is made in the U.S.A., and the latter is made in Thailand.
YZZD3 is longer than the two mentioned. If your car is equipped with 4.0 V6 and other V8 engines, your dealer will give you YZZD3. Other V6 engines use YZZD1. It's kind of interesting to note that AAP or Autozone list YZZD1 equivalent aftermarket oil filters(mobil M1-102) for 4.0 V6 and 4.7 V8. This filter is the same size as YZZD1 but shorter than YZZD3.

Toyota OWNS Denso.

Of course here one of the local Toyota Dealers is unknowingly buying cheap generic filters repainted locally to match Denso.

Originally Posted By: widman
Toyota OWNS Denso.

Of course here one of the local Toyota Dealers is unknowingly buying cheap generic filters repainted locally to match Denso.

Counterfeit Denso filters? I’ve never heard of this before. How can you tell if it’s counterfeit?

No, mine is the 4 cylinder.

I think it's the same filter on 4 and 6 cyl late model Tacomas, through the 4.7L V8 Tundra.

Interesting.
I didn't know Toyota spec'ed different filters for the two engines. WIX and Purolator list the same part number for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back