Anyone know why Pennzoil HM oils are not GF-5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the new Pennzoil SN oils are missing the GF-5 rating. However, these same oils were rated SM GF-4 in the previous version of Pennzoil HM classification.

Thanks.

For starters, GF-5 is more a fuel economy rating than anything. Most HM oils are on the thick side of each grade, so they won't pass any SAE fuel economy tests. In addition, it looks like some companies are increasing phosphorous levels beyond the GF/4/5 limits to help protect older engines and older engine designs, such as ones with flat tappet valvetrains.

I personally welcome this news!

Valvoline's HM oils are not GF-5 either. One assumes it has to do with the Resource Conserving requirement/some other requirements? They are SN, but not GF-5. There were some comments on another threat calling Valvoline dishonest for making reference to GF-5 when the oils were not officially GF-5 certified. Like I said, I have to assume it has to do with the new Resource Conserving requirements. i think this has some impact on their use of the API starburst on the front also.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Valvoline's HM oils are not GF-5 either. One assumes it has to do with the Resource Conserving requirement/some other requirements? They are SN, but not GF-5. There were some comments on another threat calling Valvoline dishonest for making reference to GF-5 when the oils were not officially GF-5 certified. Like I said, I have to assume it has to do with the new Resource Conserving requirements. i think this has some impact on their use of the API starburst on the front also.

tinman, you are 100% spot on. If you read the labels of these HM oils that are not starburst certified (ie, meeting the fuel economy requirements), it states they meet the engine protection requirements of GF/4/5.

Calling Valvoline dishonest is almost laughable when most others state the same thing.

Also, starburst oils limit phosphorous to 800 ppm. Like I posted earlier, they might be upping the phosphorous a bit. You could have an oil with 900 ppm phosphorous that meets all other GF-5 test requirements except fuel economy and it may state on the bottle "meets engine performance requirements of GF-4", meaning it's not starbust certified, but it meets all the other specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Calling Valvoline dishonest is almost laughable when most others state the same thing.

Yes, I too thought that was very strange. I think everyone will be doing this with their HM oils. Seems pretty standard to me.

Some of these spec's are based on the EPA and politics and do not necessarily reflect design principals that would be applied by the manufacturer. So, you have to read the labels and take some time to understand what you are buying. This was a good call showing that reading the label is worth the trouble.

Well still no response from Pennziol on my question about the GF-5 classifcation not being included on the SN High Mileage Oils. I sent a second request and hope to hear something soon.

Thank you for contacting Shell.

Your request has been received and is being processed. You will
receive an update shortly.

This email has been automatically generated. Do not reply to this
email. Replies to this email will not be read.

Regards,
SOPUS Products
700 Milam St
Houston, Texas 77002

The material in this email may be confidential, privileged and/or
protected by copyright. Use of this e-mail should be limited
accordingly. If this email has been sent to you in error, please
contact us immediately.

SOPUS Products is a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company, a wholly-owned
member of the Royal Dutch Shell plc Group of Companies

Registered Office:
700 Milam St
Houston, Texas 77002

US001

"Your request has been received and is being processed. You will receive an update shortly."

Is it strange they responded to your email but have to process it for an answer later? I dunno, seems strange to me.

I had a bottle of the new MaxLife 5W-30 in my hand today and it was SN GF-5.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
I had a bottle of the new MaxLife 5W-30 in my hand today and it was SN GF-5.
thumbsup2.gif

Wuh?!

ML FTW!

Shoulda taken pics, though...

Not to rain on Pennz HM oil, but I can get MaxLife for $1.7/Quart with their rebate if I buy 3 of the 5Q jugs at WM for $13.50 right now and get a $15 rebate back.
laugh.gif

OK. So I just got home from Walmart. They also have the new MaxLife... I checked the label and it says SN GF-5. The Super Tech high mileage oil is also SN GF-5. Interesting...

OK. So I just got home from Walmart. They also have the new MaxLife... I checked the label and it says SN GF-5. The Super Tech high mileage oil is also SN GF-5. Interesting...

That's pretty awesome. I'm thinking of using the rebate for the MaxLife and just adding it to the stash.

Isn't GF-5 and High Mileage an oxymoron? The reasons you are buying a high mileage oil in the first place are the reasons it should not be GF-5 rated. I don't see a GF-5 HM oil as being much of a HM oil.

Ed

The Super Tech high mileage oil is also SN GF-5. Interesting...

And unlike most other HM oils, the Super Tech HM oil has always had the "Energy Conserving" label on the API donut.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Hi Johnny, I have sent off an e-mail to Pennzoil so I'll post their response when I receive their reply.

Well, I never got a reply from SOPUS nor from Pennzil on this issue. Maybe they had a problem with the classification and have fixed. But they never resoponded to my e-mail inquiry.

You guys should look at the back of the SM rated HM Supertech. It is energy conserving as well is the Mobil Clean HM. Why can one generic branded oil and one major brand make their HM oil energy conserving while all others cant?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back