Anyone know where I can get Honda NEXT oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking to find some Honda NEXT oil, which as I understand is what Honda recommends running in their hybrids and small displacement engines in Japan. It doesn't have an SAE rating but I believe it's equivalent to something like SAE8. Older stores of Honda's Green Oil would also be acceptable. Anyone know where I might find some?

Thanks!

Check out local oil distributers. I have delivered truckloads of Honda specific oils to oil distributers. Usually only by the case is the smallest buy. Distributers will sell to individual buyers.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Bernardi has some 0w16 oil for $8.71/quart plus shipping. If that's what you're referring to. El Linko

This is what I'm looking for: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/t-joy/item/hondaoil_4rin-012/

It's the successor to Honda's Green Oil.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Check out local oil distributers. I have delivered truckloads of Honda specific oils to oil distributers. Usually only by the case is the smallest buy. Distributers will sell to individual buyers.

I'll give that a try, thanks. I'm not optimistic though, as I don't think it has made it to the US yet.

Winters here that regularly get to 40 below, and I'm certain cold starts are not great at that temperature. The fuel economy I get in my Insight drops from around ~85mpg tank averages in summer to just above 50 in the dead of winter, with the oil temperature not fully stabilizing until at least 30-40 minutes of driving, and many of my trips are shorter than that. Mobile One has treated my engine well so far - I'm at 215K and it doesn't burn a drop of oil between 10k mile changes - but chasing huge fuel economy numbers is as much (or more) a hobby than it is for actually saving money. As long as it doesn't do any significant harm, think of it like any other silly pursuit people might have, like body kits, noisy exhausts. I'd like to at least run it once and do some A-B-A testing.

Out of curiosity, of the mass-market oils I'm likely to be able to find locally, does anyone know which one might have the lowest viscosity at cold temperatures?

I believe Mobil1 claims a 1.5% fuel savings comparing 5/30 to 0/20 might be difficult to measure 0/20 to 0/16.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
-40 f!! Maybe with the wind?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/t-joy/item/hondaoil_4rin-012/

40 below is the temperature at which Fahrenheit and Celsius are equal. It occasionally gets 40 below before wind chill, and two winters ago we had 35 consecutive days where it didn't get above 0F. When it's that cold, the display in the cluster doesn't work and you have to guess your speed.

When you try to order off of the rakuten site, there's a message that the item cannot be shipped to the US.

Anyhow, I sent fourside a PM. I'll update this thread with any progress I make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ecky
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
-40 f!! Maybe with the wind?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/t-joy/item/hondaoil_4rin-012/

40 below is the temperature at which Fahrenheit and Celsius are equal. It occasionally gets 40 below before wind chill, and two winters ago we had 35 consecutive days where it didn't get above 0F. When it's that cold, the display in the cluster doesn't work and you have to guess your speed.

When you try to order off of the rakuten site, there's a message that the item cannot be shipped to the US.

Anyhow, I sent fourside a PM. I'll update this thread with any progress I make.

I think that was the polar vortex winter, I was in MN and it was below zero for 3 months off and on ,,,

I just looked at the avg winter lows for Northern VT and none of them are below zero , maybe you are in the MNTS? I know NW ME gets temps almost equivalent to MN and ND..

Last edited:
Yep, I live near the ski slopes and on the northern side of Mt Mansfield, which is the tallest mountain in the state. I can assure you, the lows get well below zero.

Last edited:
The only time I experience real -40 temps was Montana, N Dakota, Canada, and Alaska. Wind chills don't count for anything but exposed skin, yet many use the wind chill low temps to equate that to real temps.

I can only speak for what my home weatherstation reports but last winter was "mild". Throughout the winter we actually saw green a few times, when the snow melted through, which is almost unheard of. The lowest reading I saw was in early February at -29F (actual temperate, my unit does not read wind chill), and we had a few nights that week below -20. The previous winter was much harsher.

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether or not you accept my word for it, or if my weather station and thermometers don't read perfectly accurately when it's that cold. It definitely frequently gets well below zero at night and sometimes not above zero during the day, and I'm looking for an oil that will be appropriate for that sort of weather in a car that calls for 0w20 during the summer.

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much that they need it, Honda and Toyota are just building engines with tolerances that do fine with 0w8, and 0w8 equivalent is available. Someone from the 90's might well look at cars today and ask why we need 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Ecky
The fuel economy I get in my Insight drops from around ~85mpg tank averages in summer to just above 50 in the dead of winter
You should visit insightcentral.net and see if there's help there. 50mpg in winter is quite good & nothing to complain. Have you tried cardboard to block the radiator? That helps MPGs

I don't think you'll see any difference between Mobil's 0W-20 and Honda's 0W-16 or Nextoil. They have the same pour point, which means the same thickness when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back