Anyone know what OCIs are for rental cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what Ford requires for their vehicle repurchase program:

Oil and Filter Requirements
Scheduled oil and filter change intervals are required for all vehicles at 5,000 miles.
· A $15 credit for each eligible repurchase vehicle will be paid to accounts for oil and
filter changes made at 5,000 mile intervals. (Oil must meet Ford specifications.
Filters must be Motorcraft).
· Accounts must provide Ford Motor Company evidence that the oil/filter changes
were completed; stickers, initialed by the person making the oil change, must include
date and odometer reading at time of each oil change and must be placed on the
driver's side "B" pillar (not on top of each other). Vehicles returned without an oil
change will be permanently rejected from the program.
· All required campaigns must have been completed along with normal maintenance,
including scheduled oil and filter changes at 5,000-mile intervals (see chart below).
Vehicles indicating evidence of non-adherence to these scheduled changes will be
rejected without exception.
Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Oil Change Schedule
Mileage Required # of Oil Changes
0 - 5,000 0
5,001 – 10,000 1
10,001 – 15,000 2
15,001 – 20,000 3
20,001 – 25,000 4
25,001 – 30,000 5
30,001 – 35,000 6
35,001 – 40,000 7

This is from:

https://web.msslib.dealerconnection...Rental Repurchase Program/2006 Repurchase.PDF

quote:

People always say never buy a rental car because people drive the crap out of them. That is rediculous. Why would I drive a rental car any different than I would drive my own car?[/qb]

You're absolutely right.
wink.gif

I've own(ed) two former rental cars:

1966 Ford Mustang, originally purchased by Hertz, and is still running with the original motor and no rebuild (knocks a little though, thanks to lead-free gas).

1998 Dodge Stratus, purchased in '01 and had no issues with the engine. Chrysler tranny on the other hand...well, let's just say I don't own this anymore.

My line of thinking, with regards to purchasing rentals, is to avoid the flashy cars. If I needed a commuter car, I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Hertz Focus; but there is no way I'm touching a Mustang GT. Granted, nobody is renting these things on the weekends, putting roll cages in them, and racing 'em. But people generally rent flashy, throaty, big-engined cars in order to have fun.

my family put over 300k on a 1988 camry i4 ex-rental before it finally gave up the ghost....

but buying an ex-rental ponycar is gutsy.

If could have I would have bought an 04 Impala off the lot at National Car Rental in Sacramento that I rented. Car was an absolute floater, hands down most comfortable ride in a rental I've ever had. I know an Impala..hey what can I say..the car was a pleasure to drive
smile.gif

It's a crap shoot whether buying a rental or a used car..heck sometimes even buying new is a shot in the dark

Just called the local Hertz Car Sales office, the guy told me that from all of the records, the cars get an oil/filter change every 4-5000 miles, with OEM filters.

I'm not sure if I'd consider autocrossing "abuse" of a car. It's really not that hard on the car..certainly not any harder than driving a twisty backroad fast, and cones are softer than trees...

I'm not sure if I'd consider redlining the engine "abuse" either. (On the contrary, I think it's good for an engine to be redlined at least once in a while).

Neutral drops and brake torquing (holding the brake pedal while revving the engine) are definite abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back