Anyone know Altimas? no start on 06

Ive already replaced cps and camshaft sensor and nothing. After changing out cam sensor, I cranked engine and it seemed like it wanted to start, but nothing. I can hear fuel pump turn on a little when i turn key on. Is there a way to jump fuel pump?

According to the Nissan Altima forum there is a crank position sensor, and a crankshaft sensor. Supposed to be replaced in pairs.

I had a 2004 Altima 2.5S with similar issues. I did replace both Cam & Crank position sensors at the same time. The Cam sensor was 5 minutes and the crank sensor was HOURS to reach and install.

Also these sensors are the exact same part # and they've been upgraded from plastic to metal and the hold down bolt is also repositioned for better access(especially on the Crank) to the electrical connector. You may also want to do a battery disconnect to reset OE settings???

However, several years later, I had a long start issue even when the engine was hot(never cold and never on the 1st start of the day or when sitting for hours). I had to cycle the key 3 X and then start the engine and it worked every time.

For some reason, (I believe) that I was getting injector leak down or I had a crack in one of the fuel pump lines in the gas tank. This has come up in several Altima(or NISSAN) forums in the past.

I haven't owned this 2004 Altima since 2015 when I got the other Altima in my signature. But I do still remember much about this car and its issues.

Try starting fluid and see if the engine attempts to start. Checking fuel pressure and the presense of spark would be next.
I did use starting fluid. It seemed that it wanted to start for about 1/4 second or so , them nothing, it just cranked over.

Any pending codes? Can you still communicate with OBD? Does it have a smart key and if so is the key light in the dash flashing or solid?

Most Nissans have no port to test fuel pressure. You need to rig something up if that is what you want to test.

I would get a buddy to crank the engine while you squirt starting fluid. If it will fire and run for a bit on starting fluid - you obviously have a fuel problem. You said it sounded like it wanted to start, but if your squirting directly at the TB while someone is cranking it should definitely fire and run for a bit - no confusion.

If it does fire - my guess is fuel pump. Either that or the in tank filter is plugged.

If not - big fun trouble shooting electronics. IPDM maybe - I assume there is the normal Nissan IPDM self test / Active Auto test procedure?

Any pending codes? Can you still communicate with OBD? Does it have a smart key and if so is the key light in the dash flashing or solid?

Most Nissans have no port to test fuel pressure. You need to rig something up if that is what you want to test.

I would get a buddy to crank the engine while you squirt starting fluid. If it will fire and run for a bit on starting fluid - you obviously have a fuel problem. You said it sounded like it wanted to start, but if your squirting directly at the TB while someone is cranking it should definitely fire and run for a bit - no confusion.

If it does fire - my guess is fuel pump. Either that or the in tank filter is plugged.

If not - big fun trouble shooting electronics. IPDM maybe - I assume there is the normal Nissan IPDM self test / Active Auto test procedure?
The only code that found, was the cps.I used starting fluid right before I cranked it and it gave a hint of wanting to run. Today I checked and it has spark. What is the IPDM self test?

The only code that found, was the cps.I used starting fluid right before I cranked it and it gave a hint of wanting to run. Today I checked and it has spark. What is the IPDM self test?
Active Auto Test. Works on most Nissan's of that vintage. It doesn't 100% rule out your IPDM, but it is a start :

Did you use an OEM or Hitachi CPS (prefered), or something else? wouldn't be the first jobber sensor I have seen DOA.

When you sprayed the fluid it shouldn't "want to start" - it should bonafide start - might be short time, but should leave no doubt and run for a second or so. If it doesn't then its most likely an electrical problem.

Do you have a chip key, and if so what is the key light in the dash doing?

Active Auto Test. Works on most Nissan's of that vintage. It doesn't 100% rule out your IPDM, but it is a start :

Did you use an OEM or Hitachi CPS (prefered), or something else? wouldn't be the first jobber sensor I have seen DOA.

When you sprayed the fluid it shouldn't "want to start" - it should bonafide start - might be short time, but should leave no doubt and run for a second or so. If it doesn't then its most likely an electrical problem.

Do you have a chip key, and if so what is the key light in the dash doing?

I have a regular key. The cps I got from Oreillys. I do have spark.

These things have issues with the fuel tank vent pulling water into the tank in wet weather. Water will settle to the bottom of the tank and it will not run. Parked running fine, the will not start. Siphon or pump the fuel from your tank put fresh fuel in it and clean up the fuel tank vent.

I had a crank no start on a maxima of that era once. Not that it’s the same, but cars of the same manufacturer like to be similarly controlled across the board. Found out that car had 2 crank fuses and 2 crank sensors (or cam, it’s been a long time since I worked on this car). The shop had already replaced cam and crank sensors, battery AND starter (bc they said it cranked TOO fast) but when it came back and had blown the fuse for (cam or crank) we dove into schematics and found that it had 2 (cam or crank). 1 was only for starting while the other was for running. I’m pretty sure it was 2 cranks sensors.

Back