Anyone invests in Prosper.com ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put $100 to personal loans with Prosper.com about 3 years ago to try out the new investment.

Prosper.com is making personal loans to someone in needed, after about 3 years my initial $100 investment is now about $135 for a 35% return. With current saving rate of less than 1% at most banks, this Prosper.com is not a bad place to start small savings.

As any other investments, read/research carefully before putting any amount of money into it.

Honestly, you are the first person who I've ever heard of who made anything on it. Everyone else lost money or was lucky to break even. Most investors give up after 1-2 years due to the number of dead beats there.

I think the idea of Prosper.com is great, pooling money from small investors/savers to make loans to people who can not get a loan from a bank.

I did not know which loan(s) to bid, so I selected the automated plans with grade A or better. The returns are less than 10% but less chance to be defaulted.

Also, I did not know what was the risk factor therefore I put in only $100 to learn. I did not check my account for more than 2 years until 2 days ago. I was surprise to see the 35% return after 3 years.

I like the idea of being a lender too. Right now the mortgage market is so tight, thus I wouldn't mind lending to the right mortgagee. I've seen credit-worthy people who have a hard time getting a loan even with >50% down. That seems like a pretty low-risk loan. But Prosper doesn't do collateralized loans

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I put $100 to personal loans with Prosper.com about 3 years ago to try out the new investment.

Prosper.com is making personal loans to someone in needed, after about 3 years my initial $100 investment is now about $135 for a 35% return. With current saving rate of less than 1% at most banks, this Prosper.com is not a bad place to start small savings.

As any other investments, read/research carefully before putting any amount of money into it.

Not trying to kill your buzz over the gain, but $35 over three years is not 35% gain. its $35/3= #11.67 per year gain.

So the gain is 11.67% a year, which is still many times what any other investment would give.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back