Anyone Into Inline Skating?

Any inline skaters here?

I loved skating when I was a kid and into my early teens, and had a pair of rollerblades, played street hockey with friends in a cove down the street, etc. But gave it up for years (Why? I don’t know, because it’s so much fun!)

Anyway, I’ve recently gotten interested in inline skating again, after we bought my nephews (ages 7 & 10) in-line skates for Christmas, and took them to the skating rink a couple of times (unfortunately they live 3 hrs away), and I had an absolute ball skating again.

Number one reason is, it’s a heck of a lot of fun. Also, great cross-training, and I’m currently dealing with a sore knee and pulled hamstring from running.

My plan for skating would primarily be doing longer distances on paved greenway trails like we have here in Nashville. Going out for at least 1.5-2 hrs at a time, possibly longer, at least a couple of times per week - possibly more, initially.

So, if you’re still reading, my questions relate to what kind of skates to get.

- I need some skates that will be comfortable; the ones that have padded liners seem appealing. But, maybe I don’t need those? I’ve seen the skates that are “low tops”. I guess those are “speed skates?”

Ive heard of a genre of skates called “marathon skates”, which seem to be designed for just that. Distance. I would assume they’re meant to be comfortable over longer distances and durations.

- The larger wheels appeal to me, due to their decreased rolling resistance, which would be ideal for rougher pavement I’d be encountering in spots. Looking at, probably, 100, 110, or 120mm. I like the idea of the 3-wheeled in-line skates, because I’ve read that they use 3 larger wheels instead of 4 smaller ones in order to maintain a shorter wheelbase for maneuverability.

In fact, I’ve sort of made up my mind that I do want some 3-wheeled skates. Just trying to decide on wheel size. One factor that may make a difference is that one of the main greenways I plan on skating is pretty hilly, and one comment I read indicated that larger wheels can be tougher to go uphill with.

110mm seems to be a good compromise?

Is there a brand that’s most comfortable?

Not interested in doing tricks, or anything but higher-speed, longer-distance and duration skating, and occasional trips to the skating rink with my nephews.

It would be nice if the skates I eventually decide on, were modular and/or able to be modded (e.g. able to install different size wheels and/or frames, to switch wheel size and from 3-4 or 4-3, etc.).

Any input?

Your preferences?

My daughter speed skated for years but quit about 7 years ago. I'm not sure of the current equipment availability but she used 4 wheels after she grew out of the smaller shoe sizes.

I suggest contacting a local speed club to inquire (see the USARS site for team listing in your area). You might just adopt speed as a new hobby!

One more thing: don't cut corners on the boots! Get the best product you can afford...after all, you will be spending hours in them and nothing worse than uncomfortable skates!

HERE-HERE!
I’ve been in-line skating since the ‘80s. Not so much anymore due to the difficulty finding new roller blades/brands that I didn’t have to purchase on-line, only to get them home and they didn’t fit properly or were too uncomfortable.

I was using Bauer F3 w/ 72mm - 80a compound wheels and Abec1-3 bearings. I typically went on the streets ~ 13 miles a day. Then switched to ROLLERBLADE brand til I just wore them out. Now I do more biking(15-20 miles a day) but l’lI still throw on the blades now & again.

I have nothing to add to this but I loved the heck out of my Roller Derby Phantoms when I was a kid. I have no clue where they ended up but they were cheap and fun. Found a pic online. Good luck!

Attachments

• 5E8ADE0B-7A0A-4835-AF6B-263242B657BC.jpeg
    5E8ADE0B-7A0A-4835-AF6B-263242B657BC.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 7
These look pretty cool!

Wondering how comfortable and ventilated they'd be.

Skated for years mainly outdoors on blacktop cycle paths or occasional roller rink. Larger the wheel will roll over a crack or pebble easier. Beware of new blacktop. Always had 4 wheels with brakes. Keep wheels rotated always skate with a helmet and wrist guards outside. Don't know what top of the line bearing are now but used to use ceramic bearings. Quit blading at 65 but have done some skating at a rink with grandkids. They used to make a offroad skate that had 4.5" wheels with pneumatic tires. Tried them on were to tall for me + $500.

Last edited:
I like not falling down more now than I liked rollerskating as a kid. I think back then my joints used to be made out of a space age miracle material and I could crash all day and do it all over the next without any ill effect. Now, rolling out of bed would mess me up.

Enjoy your youth.

I'd check out Roces or K2. Those were the got to have it brands along with Rollerblade.

Back