Anyone intimate with Honda's VCM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
My new Honda Ridgeline has about 1600 miles on it and its consumed from the top of the mark to the bottom.

I know its new - and I expect consumption with 20 grade - and being new, but I'm concerned I may have a" burner" on my hands.

Given my use was fairly fast long road trips I probably ran in some VCM mode for some time in certain places.

I'm trying to understand why VCM is being pegged to increased oil consumption.

Ive formed a few of my own hypothesis, but being educated by someone in the know is always better than guesswork.

Thanks...

UD

So you are saying the oil level on the dipstick has gone from the full to the add oil mark? That does seem excessive for 1600 miles. Usually the add oil mark is one quart low. Have you topped it off yet?

I would check with the dealer on this just to rule out anything else. I’m not a VCM expert so I’ll defer those questions to others

I'm not seeing how the two are connected on a brand new vehicle. Your driving style absolutely could do it. I would get a VCMuzzler, I don't run it all the time, as there is a marked mpg drop, but I run it especially for long highway drives as I don't like the feel of the cut in and out under highway load/speed.

I do recall on the odyssey, the oil level stayed full but then we consumed a bit of the FF at the end of the OCI. It was strange and somewhat unexpected. We've not consumed any oil since.

Thanks guys.

Ill measure what it takes to bring back up to full and notate.

The OlM is telling me 90% life left - not that I trust or believe it.

Ill bring it up w/ the dealer but expect the typical brush off.

Ill look into these threads, but In causal scaling I can't find anything I can sink my teeth into as a reason for it.

Never been a huge fan of aftermarket "tune" but may try a muzzle.

UD

A quart of oil in the first 1600 miles is a lot. I've never had a new vehicle use any measurable amount of oil, so something is definitely going on there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm not seeing how the two are connected on a brand new vehicle. Your driving style absolutely could do it. I would get a VCMuzzler, I don't run it all the time, as there is a marked mpg drop, but I run it especially for long highway drives as I don't like the feel of the cut in and out under highway load/speed.

I do recall on the odyssey, the oil level stayed full but then we consumed a bit of the FF at the end of the OCI. It was strange and somewhat unexpected. We've not consumed any oil since.

Thanks

Driving style so far is setting the cruise control between 74 and 80 for 1 K - and the same for 600.

Activation on this rig is almost imperceptible.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A quart of oil in the first 1600 miles is a lot. I've never had a new vehicle use any measurable amount of oil, so something is definitely going on there.

Not sure its a quart as I don't know how the stick is calibrated yet - it may be.

UD

I got the VCMTuner and it's likely a good thing... stock setting in summer the VCM would still kick in. My mileage is only down about 3-5% (but also went to 0W-40 from 5W-20 at the same time) but it's SO much nicer. Will see if next UOA proves out the [censored] that VCM does to the engine wear metals. This 2nd fill on PPE 0W-40 should bring iron down even more, along with the MicroGreen Filter. 0W-40 still had a 6.0TBN at 7600 miles which is already well past the universal average mileage, with more than double the average TBN.

I know it's new so 0W-40 out of the question... but afterwards its a thought
smile.gif

Nope - I park it in the same place every day, not a drop on the ground.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

I'll measure what it takes to bring back up to full and notate.

No, trust it - it is correct.

However.... at the rate you having to add oil,
but by the time it gets to 0% you'll have changed the oil 2-3 times by then...

Nope - I park it in the same place every day, not a drop on the ground.

UD

Not sure if yours is the same way but a lot of vehicles including mine have shields underneath for aerodynamics and some protection. Any drips will be caught by the shield and won’t go to the ground. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I'll measure what it takes to bring back up to full and notate.

No, trust it - it is correct.

However.... at the rate you having to add oil,
but by the time it gets to 0% you'll have changed the oil 2-3 times by then...

HAHA I suppose that would be true in the case of a legit burner.

UD

Its dry down there I crawled around already looking to see how I would get at the filter to change it out.

Thanks though - good advice.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Go to the dealer and start a paper trail.

Keep records of everything, especially maintenance , make multiple service trips about the consumption, keeping the paperwork. If the engine happens to let go early
wink.gif
, you have been complaining about it since day one! Then they replace the engine, or you lemon law the whole car.

Last edited:
UD, FWIW, my experience with these engines. I am a Honda fan and also have a 2017 Ridgeline.

Had a 2001 Odyssey, put 210,000 miles on it, never a problem of any kind, not even transmission. But, wife felt like 200k was enough, so we got a new 2012 Ody in 12/2012. It had VCM. Took it on a 1200 mi road trip a couple days after we got it. Burned oil from then on. First oil change I did at ~4000 mi got maybe 2.5 QTS out. Started monitoring it, burned 1 qt every 1500 miles. Started tracking with dealer. Learned about the VCM issues, Honda said usage was within "spec" but was told about the warranty extension. Hit 17,000 miles, and got the misfire, bad coil, fouled plug limp mode event. Honda covered it, but I didn't want to deal with it any more. Traded in 12\13 for an identical 2014 Ody.

My research during this had led me to the VCMuzzler, wish I had tried it on the '12 before I got rid of it. But put it on the '14 early. Never used a drop. Drove better too. But, to be fair, I was more deliberate about how I broke it in.

Fast forward to late 2016, I ordered a 2017 RL RTL-T, and put a Muzzler on it the second day I had it. Never used a drop. BTW, Loren, the maker of the Muzzler made me a specific resistor that worked better for the DI V6 engines. A week later, we totaled the Ody and replaced it with a 2017 Pilot with the same J35Y6 engine. Put the Muzzler on it day 1. Never used a drop. We also have a 2012 Pilot with the J35Z4 we bought with 75k miles, put a Muzzler on it as soon as we got it and never used oil. Of course all of these anecdotes yield a bunch of anecdotal evidence, but I am a believer.

So, my recommendation, get a real Muzzler from Verbatim. Ask for the custom 136ohm resistor. See if the oil usage abates, hopefully so. I would be confident that if it continues at the present rate you'll have fouled plugs, bad coils and misfires eventually.

Again, this is just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back