Anyone Interested in My Chilpotle Style Pico de Gallo Recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the viscosity? Thick or thin?
tongue.gif

You can vary the ingredients to your liking. I try to use all fresh ingredients, but a couple of them are canned for convenience.

2 - Large Tomatoes - wash and diced
3 - Poblano Peppers - cut in half, cleaned, roasted, skinned, diced
1 - Medium Sweet (Vidalia) Onion - peeled, diced
Handful - Fresh Cilantro leaves- washed, finely chopped
2 - small limes - squeezed for juice
1 - Bulb of Garlic - roasted
1 - 7.5 oz can of Chilpotle Peppers in adobo sauce
1 - 14.5 oz can of Diced Tomatoes w/green chiles
1 - teaspoon of salt (or to taste)

I separate the bulb of garlic into gloves, but don't peel them and roast in a toaster oven at 450° for about 5 minutes. While the garlic is roasting, cut the Poblano Peppers in half and clean seeds out.

After the garlic gloves are roasted, pull them out, and now roast Poblano Peppers the same way. Peel the rest of the skin off the garlic gloves and put into a blender with the canned Chipotle Peppers and canned Diced Tomatoes and blend to a puree.

When the Poblano Peppers are done, peel the outer skin off, and dice.

Dice and chop the other fresh ingredients and put them all in a big bowl, squeeze the limes over this, add the salt and mix together.

Now add small amounts of the puree of Chipotle Peppers, Diced Tomatoes, and roasted garlic until you reach the desired consistency.

Any puree left over can be refrigerated in a resealable container and used as seasoning for chicken or pork stewed or cooked crock pot style.

[ August 06, 2006, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

Thanks, I'll try it out, but I'll have to skip the garlic. May I replace it with grilled, chopped onion, or will that defile your recipe?
pat.gif

Change it up anyway you want. I fooled around making all kinds of salsas with different ingredients until I stumbled upon one that had people cooing as they ate it. Now friends demand I bring it to any of the "bring a snack" social gatherings.

But I have to wonder...if your system doesn't tolerate garlic, how will it respond to Chilpotle Peppers?

I have no issues with peppers or any other hot food, not matter how hot -- I just loathe garlic. If it were up to me, I'd have garlic outlawed. It's not even the taste that bothers me, it's just the smell. I can't tolerate the faintest whiff of garlic.

If we all had the same taste, how boring would that be?
wink.gif

Garlic is a vile weed (to me). Onion smell can be bad, but people usually don't ooze onion stench from their skin for a week after eating onions. I can tell most people if they have eaten garlic within the past week. I find the smell absolutely repugnant.

PS: Nobody smells their own breath.

I love woodruff flavor deserts. Anybody else?

I don't understand why everybody HAS to like garlic. To me, garlic smells like terrible body odor, to you it may smell like rose water. You like it, it's fine by me, but don't shove it down my throat and keep your distance, skunky!
tongue.gif

Woodruff deserts? Never had (that I know of). Please describe.

I'm not saying you HAVE to like garlic. I could give a rat. I like it on main courses - Chinese, Indian, Italian, French, etc...I'm not a nut like those guys down in Gilroy. I have eaten raw when I had a cold, and dang it worked.....but dude, you want to talk stink? Stink, stank, stunk. I COULD smell my own breath. I think I stayed sequestered for a week, just for the reek.

I think I can smell garlic right through the screen!
tongue.gif

How to describe woodruff flavor? It has the aroma of cumarin (coumarin), which gives it its distinctive flavor. Woodruff is also a popular flavor for ice-cream.

woodruff

I've never seen woodruff-flavored food in the US, although I'm sure I smelled the plant when hiking in the East. Woodruff is a little toxic, sort of like wormwood (used for absinthe). I'm actually not a HUGE woodruff fan, but it's a good example of a flavor that folks tend to either like or dislike with no middle ground. Products like desserts and ice-cream are made with artificial woodruff flavor. If you can find German May wine, it may well be spiced with the real thing. Here is some more info: wikipedia on May wine and woodruff

Some woodruff recipes

PS: My motto from the Third Pungent War is "Ceterum censeo, allium delenda est!" (Furthermore, I believe garlic must be destroyed)
grin.gif

[ August 07, 2006, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back