Anyone here with hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt that they have "just as many parts". We're only dealing with sound here, not wifi, not display, not channel selection, none of that. Maybe if you compared it to the audio portion of the TV that would be a better analogy.
I'll agree however that miniaturization is costly. That in itself does NOT equate to an 800% cost increase in my opinion. Especially when there is such a wide range of prices for those audio parts. Don't forget, a simple amplifier CIC from China can be had for $29.95!

The cost alone does not concern me. It's all the rest that is important. The testing, adjustments, and NO WAY TO VERIFY if those adjustments were effective. This industry really needs to take a close introspective look at itself and step up. They have terrific offerings out there, but fitting them to a customer is sorely lacking.

When getting a new set of behind the ear mid line Siemens last fall, my audiologist did stick a small probe hooked up to his computer in my ear while having the aides on. I assume it was monitoring what sound the aides were putting out. These new aides do have directionality that I can adjust via an app on my iphone or iPad. It's obvious as when I turn my head towards some one that is speaking, their voice gets louder. My old set didn't do this plus the output of the new set is noticeably better.

A previous audiologist would cover her mouth so no lip reading and have me repeat a series of words she spoke. The type of words I got wrong identified some characteristics of my bad hearing.

JohnG, I do understand your frustration and hope you find better care.

Have any of you upgraded from Zounds to something better? My mother has a Zounds hearing aid and her experience has been getting worse as Zounds seems to be struggling as a business. I would love to point her towards something that would be more beneficial.

She experienced some calcification in her left ear during her pregnancy with me 30 years ago.

My hearing aids cut the tinnitus about 90%, it's not gone, but they sure do help plus I hear much better. Getting used to hearing aids is similar to getting used to progressive lenses for reading, it takes about 6 weeks, then you can't do without them.

When getting a new set of behind the ear mid line Siemens last fall, my audiologist did stick a small probe hooked up to his computer in my ear while having the aides on. I assume it was monitoring what sound the aides were putting out. These new aides do have directionality that I can adjust via an app on my iphone or iPad. It's obvious as when I turn my head towards some one that is speaking, their voice gets louder. My old set didn't do this plus the output of the new set is noticeably better.

What he was actually doing is programming the hearing aids, not monitoring your hearing response. The little ribbon connector goes in the battery slot of each aid, so the computer can "talk" to your aids. This way he can adjust the frequency response by changing the gain in each of the frequency bands available.

He had to rely on YOUR responses as to whether each change was better or worse. It's pretty standard stuff.

I know people that purchase aids online, good quality or not, and use them without a hearing test or adjustment! They even wonder why they still can't hear!!!
I just think technology would allow for a much better VERIFICATION of the hearing improvements being made during those adjustments.

Yes, the hearing test shows what frequencies are down, and to what level, then the hearing aids are adjusted to bring each frequency up to a normal level. You can't just buy them over the internet and slap them in and expect your hearing will suddenly be normal.

Anyone here with hearing aids?
What, what did you say? I couldn`t hear you.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by JohnG

What he was actually doing is programming the hearing aids, not monitoring your hearing response. The little ribbon connector goes in the battery slot of each aid, so the computer can "talk" to your aids. This way he can adjust the frequency response by changing the gain in each of the frequency bands available.

He had to rely on YOUR responses as to whether each change was better or worse. It's pretty standard stuff.

I know people that purchase aids online, good quality or not, and use them without a hearing test or adjustment! They even wonder why they still can't hear!!!
I just think technology would allow for a much better VERIFICATION of the hearing improvements being made during those adjustments.

Originally Posted by Silk
Yes, the hearing test shows what frequencies are down, and to what level, then the hearing aids are adjusted to bring each frequency up to a normal level. You can't just buy them over the internet and slap them in and expect your hearing will suddenly be normal.

Yup, the probe in the ear with the aides on was to check the output of the aides. My new aides are wireless so they connect with the audiologist's computer. His computer shows detailed graphs of my hearing in each ear with frequency across the bottom and the big dip in my hearing for the mid to upper frequencies. I can spot the differences between my left and right ears too. Then on top of those the output of the aides is shown. He has recently tweeked the noisy room mode for me by upping the output in a small band for voices. Saw him do it via the graphs on his computer screen. I do notice the difference but still any/all background noise makes it really hard for me to understand speech. So active noise cancellation would be great for me but super expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back