Anyone here with allergies or hay fever? Lactose intolerance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found a solution. My guess is that your body is not getting proper nutrition even though you may eat a lot. It's the gut bacteria.

My theory, and it works for me, is that your gut bacteria is not up to par. So you need a spoon of yogurt 3 times a day before meals. The bacteria will help digest and absorb the nutrients better. My guess is it's a form of malnutrition, not enough to kill you, but enough for cells to work improperly.

Also, this trick works for lactose intolerance. if you eat a good amount of yogurt, eating ice cream after is ok bc the bacteria in the yogurt digests the lactose, meaning you can have lactose again.

Try it out and mention if it works for you.

I got this same health advice from a former classmate that is now a doctor & nutritionist....

I haven't been following her advice very closely, though.

I do eat plain yogurt, cottage cheese and live culture acidophilus and probiotics. It helps.

My lactose intolerance is on a sliding scale. Sometimes if I eat dairy, all that happens is just a little rumble and a a slight bloated feeling. On the other hand, sometimes even a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt is enough to make me sick as a dog the whole day.

They are discovering that the appendix can put back the bacteria should it get wiped out by antibiotics. These days the appendix should not be removed unless its ruptured.

I have been lactose intolerant since birth. Was raised on goats milk (yuk). Now use soy milk.

Coffee and caffeine have been my bug-a-boos for decades. Once I left the fire house and got out of the Army, I could not do coffee much. One cup and my stomach will be feeling bad for more than 8 hours.

Moved to the Napa valley in the early '80s and lost my pallet for red wines within ten years. Even though I worked in the industry part time and loved good wine, once the pallet was gone, most any strong red wine will give me screaming heart burn in 5 minutes. One swallow and I can feel the burn starting ... Whites and desert wines are still OK, but not really where my head is at ...

Any colored hard liqueur will kill me. Same as red wine. Clear booze is OK.

Spices not usually a problem. Peppers no problem. Ice cream is not an issue in moderation. Small amounts of cottage cheese are OK. Real butter - no, I'll have diarrhea in an hour. Cheap cows meat with fat, same as butter. Good lean beef - no issue.

The yogurt thing is about which yogurt. Some help, some will blow me up ...

Last edited:
No offense, but the post made me laugh so hard. I am glad that it is helping you (and you should take a great care going forward not to worsen the situation) but allergies are not so easy to deal with, esp for those with food allergies (that precipitate into environmental allergies).

Lactose intolerance is more connected to the genetics. We are supposed to be lactose intolerant as we age. A part of the population is not but that an exception to the rule. Good for them though.

Your connection is correct on one side, that your gut bugs are not up to the snuff and you need to get them enough food to survive. Thats where the prebiotics come into the picture. If you are primarily a carnivore, expect the problem to worsen.

Eating ice-cream after the yogurt is not a great idea either, you are nullifying the effect, depending on the ice cream you are eating. Most of the ice cream brands contain Carrageenan, a surfactant, that erodes gut lines of the protective layers. I am the person who used to eat 1 tub of ice cream in 2 days. Now I don't touch the ice cream unless I make it myself without any surfactant.

I have had so many health problems from 2008-2013 that if someone would have offered me euthanasia, I would have happily taken up on the idea. It took a lot of time for me to go through the scientific literature to figure things out and get my s**t together. If you really want to get to the bottom of this, research resistant starch, Mark Sisson. He has written few great articles on this topic.

I am Lactose intolerant, have Hay Fever but no other immuno-ractive issues (eg Arthitus), although I seem to be developing a slight issue with seafood where I get itchy, watery eyes after eating any more than about 3 31-40 count sized shrimp or prawns. That's new, but repeatable now.

I eat plain Yogurt most mornings for breakfast, adding fresh fruit and nuts at serving time. I see no evidence that it helps with Lactose intolerance, but Lactaid (and similar) does help, as does Flonaise or the usual pills for the Hay Fever and the Shrimp reaction.

If it is green I am probably allergic to it. Not as bad as I age. 62 now.

Drink about 1.5 gallon of milk a week.

No issues

Rod

I was lactose intolerant as a kid and would get sharp pains in my stomach and the runs if I ate anything dairy even in the slightest amount. Now as an adult if I have too much dairy my stomach will get upset and I could have the runs so I just eat it in moderation. I can't stand yogurt, I've tried various types and to me the texture just gets to me.

Last edited:
The OP is certainly correct in getting one's nutrition up to snuff...and that will help with improving one's gut bacteria colonies. And reaching reasonably optimum nutrition for oneself will reduce the risk of picking up various auto-immune diseases, as well as common flu, cold, etc. Nutrition is but one factor. But ignoring it only helps to snowball everything else.

I took gut bacteria "pearls" for quite some time and they didn't help with my spring allergies at all.
The allergies were getting bad enough that one of my eyes was repeatedly becoming swelled nearly shut and I was so sensitive to light that I could barely work...my doc told me to start taking Benadryl at night whenever allergy symptoms starting kicking in at all and I never had had the eye problems again.
I took the pearls after having some minor digestive issues after a course of IV and oral antibiotics due to an infection and they never seemed to do much...the same doc told me to take Metamucil regularly and that definitely helped. Those issues have never completely gone away, though.

My wife developed a C difficile infection after the one and only time she took antibiotics and that was just plain horrible. The [censored] clinic that prescribed the antibiotics told her just eat yogurt or whatever and she needed much more effective treatment than that. I believe there are some really good treatments for C difficile now, one involving other people's waste that I probably shouldn't discuss beyond that nugget.

Hay fever and allergic to cats all my life. Medications when I was a kid always made me drowsy so I had to just tough it out during school, never mind all the blooming shrubbery at school like tallow trees, oleander, bougainvillea, and (my nemesis) bottle brush!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back