Anyone here use 87 octane in their lexus??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am almost ready to use regular fuel if the prices keep going.Nightmares of last summer I guess.

Last edited:
Was your car designed to run on premium? If so, switching to regular may not result in any savings. In most cases you will notice degradation in performance and also increased fuel consumption, so at the end of the day, you won't be saving anything.

Around here, the difference betw. regular and premium is about 20 cents/gallon. Seems hardly worth it, if your car was meant to run on premium.

If you lived in Canada the 10% price difference makes running regular worth talking about.
My dad then my sister ran regular in his 94 Mazda 626 for 200,000 miles instead of premium(was recommended). It had no problems related to knocking that we could ever tell. I beat on it once in a while and it seemed to run fine.
In theory running the lower octane should give you more mileage and power until you get knock, then the car will back off the timing and you will probably lose mileage.
Do you mostly just idle around, never go over 3000rpm? If so, probably the car will be fine and get the same mileage as before. You could try 89 octane first, see what happens.
Ian

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I am almost ready to use regular fuel if the prices keep going.Nightmares of last summer I guess.

Well, you did say it runs quite well on the 87. But if it is designed for higher, you're better off in the long run to run the designed octane.

If your knock sensors decide to go on strike.....

Here in my area of PA, at least in my area, I've seen a .30ct difference though between 87 and 93.

I suppose you could play the 1/2 game. when it gets to 1/2, fill with the 93. next time the 87. I used to do that, but it got to be a hassle.

Last edited:
Does recommended mean running regular would be perfectly fine? No pinging, most importantly?

My car says 91 octane is recommended but it would definitely be nice if I can use 87 without adverse mechanical effects.

Even if there's a loss of mileage, it would be worth the $4.50 difference for 15 gals of premium (I think. It's usually a $0.30 difference between regular and premium here).

Last edited:
It's not worth the risk of long term damage to save a couple bucks per tank. Yes that adds up after a while but you could end up causing expensive engine damage down the road.....look at it as insurance.

Plus if you can afford to be driving a Lexus you should not be worried about the tiny extra cost for premium gas.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Does recommended mean running regular would be perfectly fine? No pinging, most importantly?

My car says 91 octane is recommended but it would definitely be nice if I can use 87 without adverse mechanical effects.

Even if there's a loss of mileage, it would be worth the $4.50 difference for 15 gals of premium (I think. It's usually a $0.30 difference between regular and premium here).

Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean it isn't knocking.

Mild knock reduces power, wastes fuel and increases emissions. Severe knock can destroy internal engine parts including the
pistons, connecting rods, exhaust valves, head gaskets and spark plugs.

man what a bunch of cheapskates! If you can afford a lexus, you can afford an extra 5 bucks when you fill her up... get real man!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Does the owners manual say recomended or required?

It says recommended.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
It's not worth the risk of long term damage to save a couple bucks per tank. Yes that adds up after a while but you could end up causing expensive engine damage down the road.....look at it as insurance.

Plus if you can afford to be driving a Lexus you should not be worried about the tiny extra cost for premium gas.

"Plus if you can afford to be driving a Lexus you should not be worried about the tiny extra cost for premium gas"

I cant even begin to tell you how often Ive heard that one.
smirk2.gif
I bought the RX when it was 6 years old,Trust me I couldn`t afford a new one.But I enjoy the vehicle very much,so far it has been good to me.My concern is that around my area,Premium can cost up to 30-35 cents more.Now that adds up even for a Wall street man!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd say the "recommended" is a free pass to use regular in lawyer speak...

I hear that! ^^^^^^
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles
man what a bunch of cheapskates! If you can afford a lexus, you can afford an extra 5 bucks when you fill her up... get real man!

Don't know if you're serious, but if so that's presumptuous. There are several ways to get your hands on a high-end label car without paying full-price. A college buddy was given an older Infiniti and he was in the same "college poor" financial boat as the rest of us. I married into a situation where I'll never pay anywhere near full price for cars again. My in-laws give me grief on an almost-daily basis for choosing not to take advantage instead of staying in my 300k Crown Vic.

All that being said, don't knock a guy for asking if there's ways to cut corners safely in this economy. Wasted money is wasted money, regardless of your tax bracket.

Originally Posted By: Xman77
Originally Posted By: crinkles

Don't know if you're serious, but if so that's presumptuous. There are several ways to get your hands on a high-end label car without paying full-price. A college buddy was given an older Infiniti and he was in the same "college poor" financial boat as the rest of us. I married into a situation where I'll never pay anywhere near full price for cars again. My in-laws give me grief on an almost-daily basis for choosing not to take advantage instead of staying in my 300k Crown Vic.

All that being said, don't knock a guy for asking if there's ways to cut corners safely in this economy. Wasted money is wasted money, regardless of your tax bracket.

Thank you Xman.
grin2.gif

When the knock sensor activates, the computer pulls a lot of timing.
It can learn to keep it retarded -change the advance maps, with come ECUs.
Using regular hurts power and economy in a car that is programmed to use premium.
It's mostly up to the right foot about economy.

I'm with the people who say if you can't pay, don't play.

Yes, you bought the car used, but you still bought a premium vehicle used, as opposed to a more pedestrian one. You could have easily bough a slightly never, 'lower level' car, that would not have required premium, for what you paid for the Lexus. Heck, you could have bought an even newer economy car that would have saved you more in gas!

But you bought a Lexus, most likely b/c you wanted the 'prestige' of a higher-level car. Well, along with that comes extra expenses, even if it was used. But, instead of accepting that, and enjoying your Lexus, you're trying to cheap out on what you put in it!

Gimmie a break...seriously....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm with the people who say if you can't pay, don't play.

Yes, you bought the car used, but you still bought a premium vehicle used, as opposed to a more pedestrian one. You could have easily bough a slightly never, 'lower level' car, that would not have required premium, for what you paid for the Lexus. Heck, you could have bought an even newer economy car that would have saved you more in gas!

But you bought a Lexus, most likely b/c you wanted the 'prestige' of a higher-level car. Well, along with that comes extra expenses, even if it was used. But, instead of accepting that, and enjoying your Lexus, you're trying to cheap out on what you put in it!

Gimmie a break...seriously....

ok,ok enough about the Lexus.I was going to buy a new car and then decided to go with a very nice used vehicle.Why all of the bashing`s for it?? I just asked a simple question re: fuel. My manual states select 87 octane,for improved performance the use of premium 91 or higher is recommended.Now please keep my question at hand,not what I`m driving!

If your manual allows the use of 87 octane, then it is fine for the engine.

I thought the manual said to use only 91-octane. Use whatever the cheapest grade is the manual will allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back