Anyone here run waste motor oil in their diesel engines?

There's a few good forums on FaceBook and lots of people running wmo in their cars and trucks, most rigs are 2005 and older pre-emission engines. Many have chosen wmo over wvo because it's free and easy to get. I personally prefer wvo as it's cleaner and required less filtering to process.:) I can get it for free, so it's a win win.:)
IMG_4961.jpg

There's a few good forums on FaceBook and lots of people running wmo in their cars and trucks, most rigs are 2005 and older pre-emission engines. Many have chosen wmo over wvo because it's free and easy to get. I personally prefer wvo as it's cleaner and required less filtering to process.:) I can get it for free, so it's a win win.:)View attachment 141119
You're saying that waste oil from frying food is cleaner than waste motor oil? I would think just the opposite. Waste fryer oil must contain all sorts of food particles and whatever else falls in the fryer. Waste motor oil has a tiny bit of fuel contamination, and maybe a fraction of a percent of soot if it's from a diesel engine. Unless it's from a small engine, waste motor oil is constantly being pumped through an oil filter during it's lifetime.

You're saying that waste oil from frying food is cleaner than waste motor oil? I would think just the opposite. Waste fryer oil must contain all sorts of food particles and whatever else falls in the fryer. Waste motor oil has a tiny bit of fuel contamination, and maybe a fraction of a percent of soot if it's from a diesel engine. Unless it's from a small engine, waste motor oil is constantly being pumped through an oil filter during it's lifetime.
Stop and think. Used motor oil has fine metal particulate, acids, gases and other nasty stuff. I’d use waste vegetable oil before used motor oil

Personally I wouldn’t use either in my diesel truck but help me understand what goes into or falls into a deep fryer that isn’t easily filtered out with a decent filtering system prior to entering a vehicle fuel tank? Most items can probably be caught with a coffee filter not even an elaborate filtering system. Next, all the things that are left in the waste vegetable oil are most likely combustible and won’t increase wear on injection components like waste motor oil. Worse case it feels like your fuel filter will get plugged with French fry pieces where with waste motor oil you might see increased injector and fuel pump wear from higher metal content in the liquid. Fuel filters are cheap compared to fuel system parts.

Just my $0.02

Yes, wmo contains metals, antifreeze, soot, carbon, sludge, water to name a few. In order to clean wmo enough to use for fuel you need to run it through a centrifuge to clean it. WVO on the other hand just has food particles and water. A simple settling system gets rid of both water and food particles. The only filtering I do on the wvo is when I fill my tank up, the finished wvo is pumped through a 25,10 and 2um filter after the pump. The wvo looks like new oil you buy from the store, dry and clean.

Personally I wouldn’t use either in my diesel truck but help me understand what goes into or falls into a deep fryer that isn’t easily filtered out with a decent filtering system prior to entering a vehicle fuel tank? Most items can probably be caught with a coffee filter not even an elaborate filtering system. Next, all the things that are left in the waste vegetable oil are most likely combustible and won’t increase wear on injection components like waste motor oil. Worse case it feels like your fuel filter will get plugged with French fry pieces where with waste motor oil you might see increased injector and fuel pump wear from higher metal content in the liquid. Fuel filters are cheap compared to fuel system parts.

Just my $0.02
The only items in wvo is food particles and water, both are settled and filtered out. When it's pumped into the truck it looks like the new oil you buy at the store, dry and clean.:)

This seems like something you have to either go all in on or not at all. The successful people seem to use wmo in older diesels and run a small secondary tank to hold pump diesel. For the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes of a drive they run pump diesel and then once things are up to temp they run on wmo cut with a bit of gasoline to thin it down to diesel viscosity. The problem seems to happen when people do short trips on wmo and it quickly clogs up the injectors cause the temps aren’t high enough to burn it completely. The filtering process seems kinda neat. They run it through a heated centrifuge to remove solids and flash off any water. If a guy was using a ton of diesel I can see it making sense to try it out.

Yes, I honestly would *NOT* do it without a centrifuge

The early 90's version of "Cummins Service Bulletin 3379001" (waste oil added to fuel)
used to allow 10% - - they have since revised it to 5%.

Still better to centrifuge the oil, no matter what

Back