Anyone here run waste motor oil in their diesel engines?

I don’t know if it’s been asked before but I was pondering this other day. I wouldn’t do it; I’d rather use biodiesel before waste motor oil.

I'm a USCG-licensed captain, and I know a couple of boat owners with older 2-stroke Detroit Diesels who pour their waste oil directly into the boat's fuel tank. Those 6V-71 and 8V-71 engines hold around 28 quarts of oil, so that gives them a few hours of run time. Those old DD engines operate at a lower fuel pressure than the newer diesels. I don't think it would be a good idea on a modern diesel, unless it was run through a very fine filter/polishing system.

I guess my tractor is a prime candidate for this with lower pressure indirect injection, no emissions stuff, but I don't think its worth it really. Fuel cost isn't really factor and its got to outlast me, so meh. Plus I'd have to filter the oil again.

I'm a USCG-licensed captain, and I know a couple of boat owners with older 2-stroke Detroit Diesels who pour their waste oil directly into the boat's fuel tank. Those 6V-71 and 8V-71 engines hold around 28 quarts of oil, so that gives them a few hours of run time. Those old DD engines operate at a lower fuel pressure than the newer diesels. I don't think it would be a good idea on a modern diesel, unless it was run through a very fine filter/polishing system.
Very interesting. Thank You sir

You would want to refilter the oil through a two micron filter or you would get excessive wear on the injector pump and injectors. I don't think it would be worth the gamble. It would have to be a pre-emission diesel engine. Better selling to someone with a waste fuel furnace.

Used to be done, I know that. Not sure if the btu‘s are as free as thought, if it runs more poorly does it actually save fuel?

They can certainly rev pretty high on waste oil, in a runaway situation…

Maybe apples and oranges. My last 2 OCs were drained into my nearly full 275 gallon fuel oil tank. I don't think the 0w20 with 5kmiles is gonna harm anything.

I tried running the waste oil in my tractor but it was a mistake. While it worked it just caused it to smoke which was annoying when the exhaust is always around your face. I now use waste oil in my furnace and works great. It dilutes pretty well in all the fuel oil

There are a ton of guys that do this. Some have good results and others not so much. I thought about doing this in my older diesel trucks but there is too much stuff that doesn't burn in waste oil. Burning waste oil makes a lot of ash and carbon. I don't want that junk in my good running engines.

@53' Stude running waste motor oil aka black diesel is not something I would recommend in modern diesel engines with HPCR injection systems. Like others said above in an old DD V series sure no problem but nothing new.

Just my $0.02

I don’t know if it’s been asked before but I was pondering this other day. I wouldn’t do it; I’d rather use biodiesel before waste motor oil.
I’m gonna run my waste oil in a smudge pot for heating to offset all the money I’m losing on what used to be cheap hydrocarbon fuels. That’s as political as I can get on here 😉

It's probably on the thick side for the injectors to attempt to atomize. Maybe if you thin it with diesel fuel, it might be possible.

but the WVO folks usually start their engines on diesel, then switch over to WVO

Back