Anyone here own a Can Am Spider?

A friend of mine is looking into buying a used one. Just wondering if there's anything that should be considered, certain year models to stay away from, certain trim levels better than others, that sort of thing...

A Spider is on my short list if/when I can no longer ride a 2-wheeler. Had good luck with a Can-Am quad. I'll be interested in what your friend finds.

My sister has a 2017 model. She bought it while recovering from a badly broken leg she incurred while riding her '12 R1200RT. I told her I didn't think she'd like it, but she bought one anyway. She said she didn't like it. But she still has it..

I rode it. To me it's like riding a snowmobile on the street. You're out in the wind, but it doesn't have Motorcycle dynamics.

Since then she's bought a 1250 GS (sold)
Bought a R1250 RT
And just recently a lightly used S1000R (the naked bike).

I've had 3 over the years. Two RT's (one with 2 cyl and one with 3cyl) and currently an F3T. Prior to 2014 they used 2 cyl motors then went with 1330cc Three cyl They still use them in the RT's and F3's. A real workhorse and pretty much problem free. When there is a prob, its usually electronic. My '16 F3t has been totally prob free. I like it much better than the RT's as it is lower, floorboards and handlebar can be adjusted to your needs. Being lower, it seems to handle better too. I think some new RT's now have adjustable handlebars.....just not up on new ones. They also make a couple of smaller ones called "Ryker" ( or something like that) with 650 motors, CVT transmission. Folks seem to like them. Tell him to look up
"Spyderlovers.com" forum and he will find more info than he can deal with.

My step dad rode a 2010 RT SS for 6 years. It kept him riding when he would have otherwise stopped, due to a bad leg. He did have a few electrical/electronics issues, but it never stranded him. Right before he sold it the electronic steering module failed, that was expensive, but Can Am did help him out on the cost. You would be better served to check out some specific forums.

I currently own a 2019 Spyder F3S. After over two dozen 2 wheel'd bikes, the Spyder is my sole machine. I love it ! It is more of a toy, and is a hoot to drive. That said, the F3 models are more of the sporty type. You can get various trims from basic > ultra touring. The handlebars/footpegs-boards can be adjusted for height. You sit more in it than on it. The RT is geared more for touring types. You sit more on it, a bit higher up. The power plant between them are the same, using a 1330cc triple that is actually made by Rotax, built in Austria. It has hydraulic valves and comes with a semi auto push button 6 speed transmission. Oil change/filter intervals are 9k miles. Transmission filter maintenance is 27k miles. Kevlar belt drive. Older models used a 998cc v-twin/5 speed semi auto. More of a rev motor. Go with the newer 1330cc version. Earlier models weren't rated too highly for reliability. Newer models have proven to be quite dependable. Going from 2 > 3 wheels has a learning curve/adjustment. New riders adapt quickly. Go for it ...
www.spyderlovers.com for a ton of info.

My friend is only interested in the touring model, or whatever they call the one with the trunk and side bags...

Correction to my #4 above: the new RT's are now almost as low at the F3's. Actually, nicer looking in my opinion. Looked at some today.

Back