Anyone here have an FCC License?

What kind of FCC license? Lots of different kinds. I have an FCC radio station license for my airplane and radio operator license for myself. But you're probably talking about something else.

I'm thinking of getting one for hopefully a job transfer. Any tips, items to study, where to apply, that might help me?
Are you referring to a General RadioTelephone Certificate (GROL)? They used to be called FCC First Class RadioTelephone Licenses.

I have had one since High School (with Radar Endorsement) as Broadcast Engineering and Electronic Communications was my first career.

If you are going into the Cell Phone industry it wouldn't hurt to have one, but for Broadcast Engineering they are no longer worth the paper they are written on, IMHO.

Gordon West has some training materials for Amateur Radio and the GROL:

Last edited:
I have a fleet radio station license, for 3 of our aircraft. They ain't cheap no-more, that's fo-show. $510.

I used to have 8 on the fleet license, but prices kept rising over the decades and it made little sense to cover aircraft that never leave the country.

Yeah need more info than that. I have a Technician amateur radio license which is from the FCC but that's probably not what you're asking about.

Not sure which, but I work for the railroad, if that helps.
if the railroad has their own "signal" group that deals with communications and signaling a license might help, but it has been my experience that if you want to get into anything like this you would best be served by taking a course in electronics at say a community college.

Back