Anyone here ever tried Duragloss polishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm gonna try it. Like many, I started out using the common brands you find in all the stores, you know Turtle Wax, Nufinish, etc. Then I was on the Zaino kick for a while. I like Zaino, but it's expensive and it can only be purchased off the internet, which is sometimes a pain. I like to be able just drive down to the local store and pick something up when I need it. Then I started using some of the McGuiar's products. Some of their products aren't bad, but the shine and durability just isn't there.

I've been reading as much info as I can find on the internet about Duragloss and I like what I've seen. I was able to find a review where it was compared to Zaino and the guy actually liked it just as well. Considering it's priced much lower than Zaino, that's impressive. I'm gonna try the Duragloss 101.

I use many DuraGloss products. They are every bit as good or better than the boutique brands sold on detailing websites and cost much less.

Keep in mind that they are labeled with what the consumer wants to see not actually what it does. For instance # 105 is labeled a polish but it is an excellent sealant with no polishing abilities. Aquawax is a superb spray on/wipe off sealant and contains no wax. #501, listed as a polish, is a paint/gelcoat cleaner that also seals. I know these facts from years of using DG products and also calling them to get a "translation" of what a particular product actually does in spite of how it's labeled.

I haven't used every product they offer but those mentioned above are some of my "go to" items when doing a customer's car or my own. Some good definitions of the DG products can be found at Autogeek.

#101 is an all in one product that cleans paint and leaves sealant behind. It is quite durable and similar in function to the #501. Confusing? Yes it is. You have to do a bit of digging to figure out what does what but it is worth the effort.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I use many DuraGloss products. They are every bit as good or better than the boutique brands sold on detailing websites and cost much less.

Keep in mind that they are labeled with what the consumer wants to see not actually what it does. For instance # 105 is labeled a polish but it is an excellent sealant with no polishing abilities. Aquawax is a superb spray on/wipe off sealant and contains no wax. #501, listed as a polish, is a paint/gelcoat cleaner that also seals. I know these facts from years of using DG products and also calling them to get a "translation" of what a particular product actually does in spite of how it's labeled.

I haven't used every product they offer but those mentioned above are some of my "go to" items when doing a customer's car or my own. Some good definitions of the DG products can be found at Autogeek.

One area I'm really curious to find out about with the Duragloss is how long it lasts. What I'm about to tell you is no exaggeration, it actually happened. I waxed my wife's minivan with Zaino and it was still beading water a year later without any reapplications during the year time period. I've never seen another polish/sealant last this long. Even if the Duragloss doesn't last this long I still want to try it because of it's lower cost and it's more readily available. I am curious to see how long it does last though.

I've used #105 with great results. It provides a really long-lasting shine. Water still beads like crazy after months, which may or may not indicate it's ability to protect.

DG products are available at Car Quest, that's where I got mine. They had #101 in stock, but I had them order #105 for me. As the previous post noted, #105 doesn't seem to have much abrasive for polishing, so it's probably similar to #101. If you just want a wax-like protectant, #101 would probably work great.

Well, if your wanting to avoid shipping and having to purchase online, DG products aren't your answer. Unless you are fortunate to have them available OTC.

I am curious in the DG Aquawax, but I opt for the Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax which can be bought just about anywhere.

I like the NXT 2.0 Tech Wax sealant topped with 476s, then topped with Mother's pure carnuaba.

I, like you, prefer to purchase my MOST of my products locally. I have had good luck with Meg's Ultimate Compound, followed by SwirlX, then followed by ColorX.

I found the last bottle of 3M's Performance Finish on clearance at my local WM last week for $2.00. I couldn't pass it up. I will try that on my truck this week as first step sealant in place of NXT 2.0 Tech Wax.

They are available in Car Quest stores and I have seen them at some private tire shops as well,

Anyway, I use both Zaino and Duragloss, IMO a very similar line up but Duragloss less expensive, no shipping etc. At one point I could have believed it was Zaino under a different name. I like the products, they seem to give a great shine, durability, not quite sure as I seem to apply either product to often to tell.

Longevity of a product has a great many factors involved including how well the surface was prepared in the first place. Expect DG #105 to last 6 months under the worst conditions. Duragloss ships one or twenty items for about five bucks so it's not a factor. As pointed out some parts stores have or can get them. See the DG site for that info but be aware that many of the stores listed there have never even heard of it before.

I'm a big fan of Duragloss products because every one I've used has worked great (though I've only used four, but they all worked REALLY well).

As for how long it lasts, I used the 601/105 combo on my car and water continued to bead up strong for at least 5-6 months. The combination is definitely not like other products where it looks great when you apply it but then it seems to be gone after 2 months. The Duragloss really seemed to last.

One other nice thing is how easy it was to apply and remove. It didn't affect any black plastic or trim on areas where I was racing daylight and got a little sloppy

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Well, if your wanting to avoid shipping and having to purchase online, DG products aren't your answer. Unless you are fortunate to have them available OTC.

I am curious in the DG Aquawax, but I opt for the Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax which can be bought just about anywhere.

I like the NXT 2.0 Tech Wax sealant topped with 476s, then topped with Mother's pure carnuaba.

I, like you, prefer to purchase my MOST of my products locally. I have had good luck with Meg's Ultimate Compound, followed by SwirlX, then followed by ColorX.

I found the last bottle of 3M's Performance Finish on clearance at my local WM last week for $2.00. I couldn't pass it up. I will try that on my truck this week as first step sealant in place of NXT 2.0 Tech Wax.

I have the NXT 2.0 Tech wax now and I'm not at all impressed with it. I use it on my black motorcycle and it basically looks like an oil smeared on the paint. To be honest, Turtle wax looks better than this stuff. I do like McGuiar's scratch removing products, but their waxes/sealants leave a lot to be desired. I'm gonna try the Duragloss 101 and see how it does.

Last edited:
I didn't need the NXT 2.0 at all but bought it out of curiosity. I don't care for it much either. It darkens colors, mutes flake if used too often, and longevity is disappointing next to Duragloss #105. Money down the drain.

I have the Duragloss 601 polish bonding agent, 105 total performance polish (sealant) and ti think it is 652 cleaner. Have not used them yet but I will.

I really like the duragloss car wash concentrate

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I may very well end up forgetting about the NXT 2.0 once I try the 3M Performance Finish sealant topped with Mothers step 3 pure carnuaba.

What's this got to do with Duragloss products?

$2.00 for the Performance Finish was a great find. I saw it for $8 but passed on it, kinda wish I would have gotten it just to try it out

I've used 105 on top of 601, and it has lasted at least several months in a New England climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back