Anyone heard from AutoMechanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet being internet. I just got a permanent ban on Blind for some jokes I cracked. You see people spewing toxic insult at each other and things went ok, then all of a sudden people mock each other's income humble brag as male endowment size competition and then boom, you get a ban. Machine learning and AI these days.

Someone talked about gap year between employment and then the AI picked up GAP Inc the clothing company, and then all the GAP employees got stuck reading this nonsense. Someone talked about how they lie on resume or GPA or what they really do at work or their title, or how to defraud people in interview or lie about which state they are living in (for remote work tax base). Some of us never grew out of high school.

Then you have manchild on their first jobs bragging about AMA (ask me anything) when they hit the jackpot of stock appreciation in recent years. I'm happy we have some more mature people with more civil discussion here (despite not everything is polite).

I also don't recall him ever getting upset or mad even under direct attack!
Recent example was the staff deleted all of the reactions (likes, etc) that he rec'd. How you, I, or others feel about those isn't relevant in this context, but it meant something to him, and he was pretty upset about it. He definitely felt picked on or singled out. He'll be back someday and if he sees this post and I'm wrong, I'll apologize to him too.

I think that's why God made emoji's there are no emotions in plain print.
I also don't recall him ever getting upset or mad even under direct attack! Sounded like a very nice guy.
However, I haven't read every one of his posts specially lately since covid is relaxing a bit and I'm getting out more often and am not visiting as much ... also kind of figured out the perfect oil. idk, that could be a lie.

He is too nice for mod vacation. so my theories for him not visiting as much:
  1. He found a new girlfriend. No pictures required.
  2. He found the perfect oil. I'll pay to see the pictures please!
Maybe he's putting the perfect oil in his VW.

While I appreciate those posts that wish him well, detailed speculation about someone's life, including theories, isn't positive by its very nature and I would really like to avoid any negative comments about him.

This goes for any member, really. Critique and challenging of ideas is always welcome, but critique of others is not.

So, please, in this case, let's avoid the negative speculation and detailed discussion.

The decision to remove likes applied to the entire site, to every member, equally. The decision wasn't popular with everyone, but it was necessary. Xenforo came with that feature - allowing likes and reactions - even totaling them up and comparing members' totals. Within a few months after the transition to Xenforo, popularity became very important to some folks. BITOG was taking on a social media dimension.

The topic was discussed in this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/all-reaction-scores-set-to-zero.339607/

Simply put: popularity is no substitute for expertise and should have no place in a professional forum where posts, and ideas, are based on merit.

He probably went to a chat board where he could rack up "likes". 😄

Lots of “good kid” comments regarding a young man who is pretty darn capable early in life …
Meant well or not … I sure didn’t like being called a kid when already a Machinist at that age …
Fair enough. But he is younger than any of my three children and any of my three step children.

Since I call them kids, it’s an easy word to use from my perspective.

I’ll try to use something else, young man, maybe? Dude got some really negative reactions, recently...

You didn’t like the word kid when you were that age, so, what did you like?

He found the perfect oil. I'll pay to see the pictures please!
Just imagine if all of us DID in fact find the perfect oil?? What would become of BITOG? What would we talk about from then on? Would BITOG cease to exist? Would we have to start over again? Group 1 oils? Work our way back up?:D

Lots of “good kid” comments regarding a young man who is pretty darn capable early in life …
Meant well or not … I sure didn’t like being called a kid when already a Machinist at that age …
I've called him a good kid myself, not really thinking how much I hated that term myself. That's a fair point, but I never intended anything condescending when I said it. Hes an eager young man who seizes every opportunity to learn and better himself. I've gotten in contact with him since posting this thread, and he seems to be doing just fine. Looking forward to his return!

Internet being internet. I just got a permanent ban on Blind for some jokes I cracked. You see people spewing toxic insult at each other and things went ok, then all of a sudden people mock each other's income humble brag as male endowment size competition and then boom, you get a ban. Machine learning and AI these days.

Someone talked about gap year between employment and then the AI picked up GAP Inc the clothing company, and then all the GAP employees got stuck reading this nonsense. Someone talked about how they lie on resume or GPA or what they really do at work or their title, or how to defraud people in interview or lie about which state they are living in (for remote work tax base). Some of us never grew out of high school.

Then you have manchild on their first jobs bragging about AMA (ask me anything) when they hit the jackpot of stock appreciation in recent years. I'm happy we have some more mature people with more civil discussion here (despite not everything is polite).
I agree and that is thanks mainly to the moderators here.

Too many sites are like a 'dive bar' at quitting time.

PS don't ask how I know about dive bars

Last edited:
I kind of gathered that in the past. I'm wondering if most grew tired of him from the endless reactions and posting on nearly EVERYTHING. That's my theory anyway.
I have often wondered if some people have their preferences set up to receive notifications for every new post, and take that as a sign that the post was directed towards them and a response is required ?
I see this on many different forums that I frequent, people have post counts upwards of 8,000 to 12,000 or more and seem to be involved on every thread and over multiple topic sections.

Nothing personal towards Automechanic but that could explain his activity level.

I've never seen anything that would have resulted in him being "penalized" here. However as with many social media outlets today censorship is rampant, it appears many times that people are censored just because they can.

Hopefully he will come back. I had to take a moderator approved vacation here once. I deserved it. Got over it and came back. I think sometimes it can be tough but I appreciate the type of forum the site owner is going for. Their forum, their rules, I try and comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back