Anyone have luck fixing older Ford transmission problems ?.

I have a 2002 Explorer with the 5r55w trans in it. It started acting up he other day, o/d light blinking and not wanting to shift right. I looked online and alot of people said it was a solenoid problem. Then alot said they did the repair, but it didn't last long. Then some said they had the trans rebuilt, but that that didn't last either. So has anyone actually cured the problem, or just junked it, saved $$, and moved on.,,,

I think i read that a lot of issues stem from worn out valve bodies and then those same valve bodies are used when it’s rebuilt hence the rebuild not lasting long. I think you can get properly remanufactured valve bodies from sonnax.

What DTC's are set in memory??

The 5R55 can have a whole host of issues.....From Solenoids, Worn Band Pin Bores, Broken Overdrive Band Servo, To broken Sprags.

There's good reason you do not see twenty year old Exploders roaming the roads.......

Reactions: D60
This vehicle has been good to me for 17 years. Yeah I know it's old, but other than the trans problem, it runs real good. I know it's only worth 1k on a good day, but the AC still works perfect and the body is just about perfect. Plus the engine runs sweet. But on the other hand I don't feel like dropping somewhere upwards of over 2k to fix it. With my luck, after I fix the trans, the motor would start acting up. I guess it's time for it to go. Thanks for your inputs.,,,

This vehicle has been good to me for 17 years. Yeah I know it's old, but other than the trans problem, it runs real good. I know it's only worth 1k on a good day, but the AC still works perfect and the body is just about perfect. Plus the engine runs sweet. But on the other hand I don't feel like dropping somewhere upwards of over 2k to fix it. With my luck, after I fix the trans, the motor would start acting up. I guess it's time for it to go. Thanks for your inputs.,,,
It's probably worth more than $1k in today's market.

If you otherwise like the vehicle why not consider fixing it?

Back