Anyone have fuel pump issues after using Techron?

Nothing worse than people who want to blame products, companies, or people for random failures on old, high mileage vehicles. If Techron caused fuel pump failures we'd know by now.

Nothing worse than people who want to blame products, companies, or people for random failures on old, high mileage vehicles. If Techron caused fuel pump failures we'd know by now.
Who is blaming techron? Merely asking a question. Did you read all the posts where I said I guess the law of averages has caught up with me?

Honda’s are known to have very low failure rate on fuel pumps and 200K miles is “young” for a well maintained honda without VCM. I buy my cars new and run them all over 200K miles. Never had a fuel pump issue in over 30 years. Last issue I had was with the old diaphragm pump leaking in the 80’s but that never quit.

This was my first go around with Techron, It is similar to guy that gets his first set of highly touted “insert you favorite product” and something goes wrong he will wonder if it was the product.....Not necesarilly blame the product.

I just wish some of the snarky comments are kept to themselves. it does not add anything helpful to the discussion.

I seems that asking a question about a particular product is like a personal attack to the fanboys of that product...Too much snarkiness.

Who is blaming techron? Merely asking a question. Did you read all the posts where I said I guess the law of averages has caught up with me?

Honda’s are known to have very low failure rate on fuel pumps and 200K miles is “young” for a well maintained honda without VCM. I buy my cars new and run them all over 200K miles. Never had a fuel pump issue in over 30 years. Last issue I had was with the old diaphragm pump leaking in the 80’s but that never quit.

This was my first go around with Techron, It is similar to guy that gets his first set of highly touted “insert you favorite product” and something goes wrong he will wonder if it was the product.....Not necesarilly blame the product.

I just wish some of the snarky comments are kept to themselves. it does not add anything helpful to the discussion.

I seems that asking a question about a particular product is like a personal attack to the fanboys of that product...Too much snarkiness.

lol honda fuel pumps fail. otherwise they wouldn't sell them at parts stores. personally i've owned a dozen gm trucks and suvs which are notorious for fuel pump failure. guess what? i've had... 0 fuel pump failures. so your anecdotal evidence is about as valid as mine.

and i'm not a fanboy of techron. sure, i've used it, as well as other fuel additives. i do not work for any manufacturer of fuel additives and do not have anything to gain by you buying or not buying techron. ok?

:)

I have used it in every vehicle I've owned at every OC for as long as it's been out. Never an issue.

Got a bottle working it's way through a tank right now in my Tacoma

My fuel pump died in my 2004 A4 that had ~126k miles on it. My mechanic said it was most likely due to the fact that the plus weren't changed since around 40k and they gap got so big the pump was trying to supply too much fuel. That was his thought though no way to prove it. In that car Audi calls for plugs every 40k and the had over 80k on them.

My fuel pump died in my 2004 A4 that had ~126k miles on it. My mechanic said it was most likely due to the fact that the plus weren't changed since around 40k and they gap got so big the pump was trying to supply too much fuel. That was his thought though no way to prove it. In that car Audi calls for plugs every 40k and the had over 80k on them.

Ah yes mechanics and their theories.

That makes no sense at all.
I would find a new mechanic.

That makes no sense at all.
I would find a new mechanic.
Hey man, I'm an IT guy not a mechanic. However, I don't really use him anymore for various reasons including distance and price though in his area his is the guy that people go to who own Porsche, Audi, VW, BWM, Mercedes, etc... So he must know what he is doing if they keep coming back. Especially when those dealers are close to where his shop is.

Though it makes sense to me that if the pump is set to deliver a certain amount of fuel and with the gap being to large trying to dump more fuel would cause the pump to work harder supplying the fuel and could fail after a certain amount of time of being stressed. But then again as I stated I am an IT guy not a mechanical engineer but the same thing happens with IT right? Take a processor for instance. It is rated for X voltage. Turn that voltage up to Y and the performance can increase but that extra voltage increases stress and heat which could possibly cause the processor to fail sooner. Same with any component that is overclocked or stressed.

Hey man, I'm an IT guy not a mechanic. However, I don't really use him anymore for various reasons including distance and price though in his area his is the guy that people go to who own Porsche, Audi, VW, BWM, Mercedes, etc... So he must know what he is doing if they keep coming back. Especially when those dealers are close to where his shop is.

Though it makes sense to me that if the pump is set to deliver a certain amount of fuel and with the gap being to large trying to dump more fuel would cause the pump to work harder supplying the fuel and could fail after a certain amount of time of being stressed. But then again as I stated I am an IT guy not a mechanical engineer but the same thing happens with IT right? Take a processor for instance. It is rated for X voltage. Turn that voltage up to Y and the performance can increase but that extra voltage increases stress and heat which could possibly cause the processor to fail sooner. Same with any component that is overclocked or stressed.
The two aren't related. It's like blaming your weight gain on your neighbor's over-eating.
Too big a plug gap would, if anything, cause misfires which would trigger a CEL. None of that is going to affect the amount of fuel delivered.

The amount of fuel delivered is controlled by a look-up table in the ECU (which will refer to air pressure, air temperature, engine speed, engine temperature, throttle position, etc.) and then adjusted by the feedback from the O2 sensors. If you're experiencing misfires you might have to open the throttle slightly but it would be the same as driving slightly faster.

Also, a lot of fuel systems run the pump continuously, use a regulator to adjust fuel pressure, and return the excess fuel straight to the tank so excess fuel use wouldn't change the work the pump has to do.

One thing that can have an effect on fuel pump life is frequently driving with less than a quarter tank. Fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel in the tank. If you don't have much fuel in the tank they can run hot which will reduce their lifespan slightly.

Back