Anyone Have Experience With Citrix?

I have 2 Dell desktops. #1 is a 2014 XPS 8700 I7 12GB memory. #2 is a 2019 XPS 8900 I5 with 16 GB memory. #1 is my primary machine with which I use Citrix to telecommute and have been doing so mostly without incident for six years. Lately it has become very troublesome and my employer’s IT department is at a loss. They tinker with settings and have even installed what I suspect is a different version of Citrix. It will work for a few days, then it will fail. It acts as if it is trying to update Citrix...the update fails saying the path to XXXX is wrong, leaving me dead in the water.

On my own, I have uninstalled Citrix several times using Revo Uninstaller. I don’t have a lot of faith in the uninstall process in Win 10.. Following this, when I attempt to sign on the system will automatically download and run a new install of Citrix which...so far...has always been successful. Thereafter, it will work wonderfully well for three or four days when it will fail again in the exact same way. Rinse...later...repeat. What really bothers me is that when these failures occur, I can go immediately to #2 and Citrix will run perfectly. #2 has not yet had any problem whatsoever (fingers crossed). #2 even gets auto updates of Citrix when Citrix is not in use. #1 has not had any auto updates that I’m aware of.

I would like to continue using #1 because this is the machine I have been using and is also the one my employer knows about. They don’t know that #2 even exists and they would probably throw a hissy fit if they ever found out...I wonder if they could (if they ever bothered to check). I know their IT department doesn’t want to be bothered by having to support more than one computer per employee. If it makes any difference, I am required by my employer to use IE 11 and that is all I've ever used Citrix with.

Is there any hope/help for me or am I doomed to continue either to struggle with #1 or use #2 and hope it won’t be discovered? Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
I used Citrix about 5 years ago to connect to a VDI that my employer established for me. But recently I have just been provided with a company laptop and I am fine with having a company laptop. I was told its cheaper to support a real laptop than a VDI.

Also is the pc locked down against updates or this your own personal PC? So you are connecting into a work machine at your desk?

I would try to clean up any temp files that Citrix puts on your machine at home. Do you reboot the remote PC via Citrix? Rebooting these windows machines is key.

These are my personal machines in my home. They are not locked down against updates. Citrix is used to connect to my employer's server. I reboot my own machines, but I do not reboot the server.

try this

bluesmokertdi,

Since running the Citrix clean-up utility, I've been able to sign on three times with no problems. I don't want to claim the problem is totally solved yet, but I think it has helped. Thank you.

Reactions: JC1
Back